Homebrew

March 3, 2014, 1:58 p.m.

Homebrewtalk.com will get you further. This is just mountain bikers BSing on rainy days.

Cheers, I'll get setup there.

In the meantime, good deal? http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/Complete-brewing-kit-with-starter-kit_21653038

March 3, 2014, 2 p.m.

^ Yup - that's a decent deal. Have fun!

March 12, 2014, 5:09 p.m.

For all you Sea to Sky brewers:

The Squamish Homebrewers finally have a venue! Squamish Rod and Gun Club. March 20 has been set aside for us - and then it's every last thursday of the month.

Check out the https://www.facebook.com/squamishhomebrewing for more info - or PM me.

March 12, 2014, 5:21 p.m.

Bottling up our coffee chocolate stout tonight. Pretty excited. Anyone ever bottled with some lactose ? I am going to do half with lactose and half without to see what the effect is. My wife is a huge fan of P49 Ugly Sweater. Wish me luck

March 12, 2014, 5:27 p.m.

I am going to do half with lactose and half without to see what the effect is.

Good idea. I did a oaked whiskey stout plus a vanilla bean into half of it. 2 for 1!

I just bottled my Zythos APA, and am prepping for a Falconer's Flight IPA brew on the weekend.

March 12, 2014, 6:40 p.m.

Packaging a Rye IPA ( Simcoe Citra)
Brewing another IPA (Mosaic and ? Cascade? or Cent Or a fruit explosion Citra!

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

March 12, 2014, 7:21 p.m.

Cool, vanilla stout would be great. I liked the ninkasi version when I had it.
Actually bottled a Rye IPA 2 weeks ago ( a Wookey Jack clone) trying for the first time tonight. Always nervous when I try a newly bottled Homebrew…..will it live up my own hype and excitement.
Wishing I had done a Irish Red for St Paddies. Next Year

March 12, 2014, 8:55 p.m.

Bottling up our coffee chocolate stout tonight. Pretty excited. Anyone ever bottled with some lactose ? I am going to do half with lactose and half without to see what the effect is. My wife is a huge fan of P49 Ugly Sweater. Wish me luck

i do a fat cocoa nib / coffee / vanilla bean / imperial milk stout every year for the xmas season. i toss the lactose in the boil, as the stuff is hard to dissolve. adds a nice bit of sweetness. pretty swell brews.

still contemplating a sour. found a couple flander's red recipes that look pretty straightforward (using packaged wyeast bugs instead of more esoteric methods of inoculation). haven't quite come to grips with having to sit on a beer for a year+, however. anyone been doing sours?

March 12, 2014, 9:17 p.m.

No sours here, well 1 unintentional but that just turned into bottled gushers. Meh

I'm just not into them enough to wait that long. plus 20L of sour beer UGH! A Flanders red would be the only attempt I would make at a sour if I were too.

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

March 12, 2014, 10:13 p.m.

I just pitched an IPA with dregs from a 2yr old Rayon Very. Took within 2 days. Got a recipe for La Roja that will my next experiment.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

March 13, 2014, 10:23 a.m.

… anyone been doing sours?

We made a 'fast' sour in February by adding unmilled grains to 19L of cooled wort overnight. The souring comes from the bugs on the outside of the unmilled grains reacting with the wort. It's a pretty easy homebrew method, here's one example; http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2010/07/sour-old-ale-quick-oud-bruin.html

We made a double batch and split it into 3 secondaries; 1 with peach nectar, 1 with frozen raspberries, and 1 as is. We can bottle or keg in 2 more weeks.

Originally Posted by sAFETY
As a vegitarian, I don't eat bacon, as a human being I crave and miss it.

March 24, 2014, 10 a.m.

Finished making my keezer this weekend, just in time to house the 11gal batch of Marzen we made on Saturday. Lagering at 10C for 3 weeks then dropping it down to 3C for 8 weeks. We made the same recipe last year and got a lot of compliments at our Octoberfest party.

Originally Posted by sAFETY
As a vegitarian, I don't eat bacon, as a human being I crave and miss it.

March 26, 2014, 12:03 p.m.

Going into the USA tomorrow for an overnight trip? Are homebrewing supplies cheaper across the border? I have heard someone mention hops are cheaper? if they are I will drag the wife and kids to somewhere in seattle or bellingham to stock up…… Anyone bought supplies in the USA and found them cheaper?

March 26, 2014, 12:16 p.m.

Yeah, but I preordered hops. ~$1 per oz for most, bought by the lb.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

March 26, 2014, 1:09 p.m.

Yeah, but I preordered hops. ~$1 per oz for most, bought by the lb.

Thanks Connor. So really its just pre orders that are cheaper. Good to know.