Homebrew

Aug. 22, 2013, 9:53 p.m.

One is the saison, it's been in primary for 32 days (3724, belgian saison), the other is a hefe (3068, weihenstephan weizen). The saison I expected would be slow, and I may need to buy a heater to finish it up, but the hefe is confusing me.

The Saison has been too long, your going to have to re pitch with a yeast in a starter at mid fermentation. 32 days is along time.

How long has the hefe been stalled at?

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

Aug. 23, 2013, 9:35 a.m.

The Saison has been too long, your going to have to re pitch with a yeast in a starter at mid fermentation. 32 days is along time.

How long has the hefe been stalled at?

Hefe has been 2 weeks. I've been reading up on the Saison, and some people are saying that the yeast takes 8-10 weeks to finish up, and needs to be warm (~85F). Not the easiest yeast I've brewed with. It has a really nice flavour profile right now, so I may just throw some Notty in there and get it finished.
I need to buy a heat belt.

Aug. 23, 2013, 12:49 p.m.

Hefe has been 2 weeks. I've been reading up on the Saison, and some people are saying that the yeast takes 8-10 weeks to finish up, and needs to be warm (~85F). Not the easiest yeast I've brewed with. It has a really nice flavor profile right now, so I may just throw some Notty in there and get it finished.
I need to buy a heat belt.

Just use a blanket warmer, or heating pad strapped to the bucket tightly and some form of temperature controller. Don't leave any air or space between the heater and the bucket. That's the key for even heating. Placing it in a closed box or a fridge turned off works to.

I've never had a problem with Hef's not fermenting out. Strange, you could repitch that too, off the same starter that you use for the saison. The flavors and aroma's usually happen in the first couple of days in fermentation. soo it will still taste good after, not really anything to worry about, you just actually have to do something.

What do you use for temperature control? This is key for making really good beer…

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

Aug. 23, 2013, 2:57 p.m.

Just use a blanket warmer, or heating pad strapped to the bucket tightly and some form of temperature controller. Don't leave any air or space between the heater and the bucket. That's the key for even heating. Placing it in a closed box or a fridge turned off works to.

I've never had a problem with Hef's not fermenting out. Strange, you could repitch that too, off the same starter that you use for the saison. The flavors and aroma's usually happen in the first couple of days in fermentation. soo it will still taste good after, not really anything to worry about, you just actually have to do something.

What do you use for temperature control? This is key for making really good beer…

Up until now, I've just been using the area under the stairs near the water heater, which is really stable, around 72F. I'm realising that I need to up my game a little for temperature control.

Aug. 23, 2013, 3 p.m.

Hey Ninja - what do you use for temp control?

Aug. 23, 2013, 3:04 p.m.

we just borrow from Ninja :)

"only the good riders wipe out on the easy stuff" - Heathen

Aug. 23, 2013, 3:18 p.m.

[QUOTE=heckler's better 1/2;2774099]we just borrow from Ninja :)[/QUOTE]

Haha my neighbor has that fridge now.

[QUOTE=mr_fungle;2774098]Hey Ninja - what do you use for temp control?[/QUOTE]

I use a small fridge that has a Honeywell, controller. It has the ability to cool or heat ( using a small 150w fan driven panel heater) to maintain temperature within 1 degree ( differential)

Remember folks the temperature on the outside of your bucket can be along ways off from the liquid inside. Fermentation is a heat generating reaction, and plastic is a poor conductor. If your room is 70/72F. Inside the bucket during peak ferm will be 2 to 3 degree's higher. Or more if it's a crazy big beer. My Fluke temperature meter is 1 degree lower when taped to the outside of the plastic bucket then the liquid inside.

Aug. 24, 2013, 10:04 p.m.

Well what do you guys use for temp control. Swamp cooler… Cold room?

Brew day tomorrow. Dunkle wiezen Dunkle von Rolfenstien!!

In memory of my friends German father that past away.

Aug. 25, 2013, 2:21 p.m.

Well what do you guys use for temp control. Swamp cooler… Cold room?

I'm thinking of going the swamp cooler with aquarium heater for heating, that way, cooling can be set up too.

Aug. 25, 2013, 8:28 p.m.

Haha my neighbor has that fridge now.

I use a small fridge that has a Honeywell, controller. It has the ability to cool or heat ( using a small 150w fan driven panel heater) to maintain temperature within 1 degree ( differential)

Fancy! Sounds wicked. I just use my basement. It stays 17-18 C in summer and 15-16 C in the winter.

How about burners? Mine just crapped out after 5 yrs or so. It was the $85 Home Hardware special, but I am not sure i ever actually got the 65K BTU it advertised. How long do you guys find it takes to get 25 liters boiling and what are you using?

Aug. 25, 2013, 9:06 p.m.

Just entered the homebrew world recently.
First batch of Hefe is in bottles should be ready soon! Second batch of the same cooked up yesterday and happily bubbling away in primary.
I'm in love already and haven't even tasted my first batch!
Balancing fermenting temp is my next mission. I am on the hunt for a mini fridge and am going to build this design…
http://www.nchomebrewing.com/diy-mini-fridge-beer-fermentation-chamber-build
Anyone build here built one similar? About the only mod to it I can see would be to put the temp probe in a water vial to help maintain steady readings and help subvert cycling.
Second question and I am sure it is age old but, what methods do you all use for label removal on your bottles?

Aug. 25, 2013, 10:04 p.m.

Just entered the homebrew world recently.
First batch of Hefe is in bottles should be ready soon! Second batch of the same cooked up yesterday and happily bubbling away in primary.
I'm in love already and haven't even tasted my first batch!
Balancing fermenting temp is my next mission. I am on the hunt for a mini fridge and am going to build this design…
http://www.nchomebrewing.com/diy-mini-fridge-beer-fermentation-chamber-build
Anyone build here built one similar? About the only mod to it I can see would be to put the temp probe in a water vial to help maintain steady readings and help subvert cycling.
Second question and I am sure it is age old but, what methods do you all use for label removal on your bottles?

oxyclean is awesome for cleaning labels,goo, and fuzzies.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Aug. 26, 2013, 5:59 a.m.

Thanks Connor. Seems to be the weapon of choice for a lot of things!

Aug. 26, 2013, 11:59 p.m.

where do you guys get CO2 filled? I got a kegerator, 20lb tank and a bunch of full size kegs… bad news.

I was at a "local old school craft brewery" on the weekend and they said they could fill them on the dl as they have bulk tanks..

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Aug. 27, 2013, 12:01 a.m.

also I'm drinking a wit that I made over a year ago, scary that it's still reasonably good..