Homebrew

March 6, 2012, 9:01 p.m.

remember, 3 weeks at 70F in bottles before you crack the first one, or else it's - why is my beer flat?

March 6, 2012, 9:35 p.m.

Nice!

March 7, 2012, 11:41 a.m.

holy fark, is it ever! My first Hefeweisen. Unreal.

Very very very unreal, couldn't stop at just one glass either. My head hurts today but I will do it again just to have another glass of that stuff! Hands down my fav out of all of Heckler's brews to date.

1. Hefe
2. Traditional Ale
3. Strathcona Pale Ale
4. Double IPA

"only the good riders wipe out on the easy stuff" - Heathen

March 7, 2012, 11:48 a.m.

[QUOTE=heckler's better 1/2;2625426]Very very very unreal, couldn't stop at just one glass either. My head hurts today but I will do it again just to have another glass of that stuff! Hands down my fav out of all of Heckler's brews to date.

1. Hefe
2. Traditional Ale
3. Strathcona Pale Ale
4. Double IPA

Does this one pack the punch of the last one we had? Can you still get all the flavour without as much alcohol kick?

March 7, 2012, 11:56 a.m.

~5.25%, but the glasses only come in 1/2 litre. 8)

March 7, 2012, 11:58 a.m.

I think the hefe measured out at 4%.

I was just out of practice from drinking Corona's and Pacifico beers for 9 days. The taste and texture of the hefe was so good, I closed my eyes and thought I was back in Leavenworth at King Ludwigs, it's that good.

Drinking 1 litre of beer on just a grilled cheese sandwich and little alcohol tolerance meant it hit me hard! Plus the fact that I didn't taste any alcohol meant I didn't realize until I started to stand up how tipsy I was…

oh and the bubbles, just like a Kilkenny widget, tiny streaming bubbles, heavenly.

"only the good riders wipe out on the easy stuff" - Heathen

March 7, 2012, 12:56 p.m.

Nice work.

You'll be a pro at this by the time we get started on our first batch. You have to come over and supervise.

March 7, 2012, 12:58 p.m.

My E.S. Pale Ale is in the secondary, going to bottle this weekend. I've learned a lot from this first batch, and will be making a few mods before I start the second batch for sure.
Has anyone made their own wort cooler from copper tubing? Is it much cheaper than dropping the $55 and buying one from Dan's?

March 7, 2012, 1:13 p.m.

I looked at flexible copper tubing at revy and it was quite pricy. I'm sticking with homemade ice. The cooler is needed if you do a full 5 gallon boil.

March 7, 2012, 1:30 p.m.

i picked up a couple rolls of copper tubing from hd [HTML_REMOVED] made my own cooler. can't recall the price, but definitely was a good bit cheaper than an equivalent prebuilt. pretty easy to do.

March 7, 2012, 1:36 p.m.

Our home brew vodka is pretty awesome. Got out of making beer ages ago, and since building the still we've enjoyed some fantastic vodka and gin.

My brother kept on with the beer making, and does the full hot and cold side - he even won a silver medal in an amateur brewers competition in Victoria last fall. Curious - are you guys using kits or actually doing the full hot side?

viperfunk.com

March 7, 2012, 1:40 p.m.

Our home brew vodka is pretty awesome. Got out of making beer ages ago, and since building the still we've enjoyed some fantastic vodka and gin.

My brother kept on with the beer making, and does the full hot and cold side - he even won a silver medal in an amateur brewers competition in Victoria last fall. Curious - are you guys using kits or actually doing the full hot side?

Heckler, Connor, myself are using dry additives with LME. I may try a mash in the future, but I want to figure out the basics first.

March 7, 2012, 1:53 p.m.

[QUOTE=heckler's better 1/2;2625435]I think the hefe measured out at 4%.

I was just out of practice from drinking Corona's and Pacifico beers for 9 days. The taste and texture of the hefe was so good, I closed my eyes and thought I was back in Leavenworth at King Ludwigs, it's that good.

Drinking 1 litre of beer on just a grilled cheese sandwich and little alcohol tolerance meant it hit me hard! Plus the fact that I didn't taste any alcohol meant I didn't realize until I started to stand up how tipsy I was…

oh and the bubbles, just like a Kilkenny widget, tiny streaming bubbles, heavenly.

I think D just had a "moment".

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

March 7, 2012, 6 p.m.

This thread is awesome! I have a Belgian dark ready for bottling this weekend. First batch was an IPA, both full grain mash. After this one, I am probably going back to try a few different IPA's.

With regards to bottling - I am using the big Howe Sound flip caps - the work brilliant.

March 7, 2012, 8:38 p.m.

I just bottled Strathcona Pale Ale, with a twist. dry hopped it.
Brian's IPA in the bottle on Sunday. a twist on Dan's IPA
Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA in the secondary right now.
Hefe is going to be the next beer.

Drinking Red Racer clone, and a ESB right now. It interesting how many of us are home brewers on this forum.

8)

Edit: All Grain right from the start.

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll