Home Inspector, Apartments.

Jan. 7, 2013, 8:05 p.m.

Put in an offer on a foreclosure, and would like to get a home inspection done.
More for piece of mind than anything else, was wondering if anyone had one they'd recommend? Oh yeah, this is on the surrey langley border.

Jan. 7, 2013, 8:18 p.m.

Quality home Inspection
John Shiffer

http://www.qhi.ca/company.html

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

Jan. 7, 2013, 8:35 p.m.

If it is a strata titled building, get a copy on their minutes and read them to see if the building has had any problems, check and see if they have had an envelope assessment done. Also see if they have had (or intend to have) a depreciation report done. This will give you an idea of what has been repaired/replaced and what will have to be repaired/replaced in the future that you will have to help pay for.

Jan. 7, 2013, 8:38 p.m.

Stonegate Home Inspections
Lee Fearnley
http://www.stonegate-home-inspections.com/

hol-ee shit but that's a big hole :eek:

Jan. 7, 2013, 9:25 p.m.

Stonegate Home Inspections
Lee Fearnley
http://www.stonegate-home-inspections.com/

link no workie

Jan. 7, 2013, 9:26 p.m.

If it is a strata titled building, get a copy on their minutes and read them to see if the building has had any problems, check and see if they have had an envelope assessment done. Also see if they have had (or intend to have) a depreciation report done. This will give you an idea of what has been repaired/replaced and what will have to be repaired/replaced in the future that you will have to help pay for.

this

I believe the law says they must give you 2 years of meeting minutes.

read them thoroughly, page by page. Look for issues, or potential issues. See what the strata has for contingency funds, get a general idea of how it's run.

Jan. 7, 2013, 9:31 p.m.

this

I believe the law says they must give you 2 years of meeting minutes.

read them thoroughly, page by page. Look for issues, or potential issues. See what the strata has for contingency funds, get a general idea of how it's run.

Yes, I plan on doing this.

Jan. 7, 2013, 10:35 p.m.

Howz that other thing looking?

Pastor of Muppets

Jan. 7, 2013, 10:41 p.m.

Waiting for my schedule to allow a lunch. Thinking of proposing the idea of a dinner.
Partner who hated me when I was 16 has to sign off.

Jan. 7, 2013, 11:19 p.m.

Glenn Duxbury.
http://glennduxbury-inspections.com/

Originally Posted by sAFETY
As a vegitarian, I don't eat bacon, as a human being I crave and miss it.

Jan. 8, 2013, 2:24 a.m.

There's also a new law that mandates stratas do a long term plan. Check if they've done it or are doing it. Some places are putting it off because they don't want potential unit buyers to know what's wrong.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Jan. 8, 2013, 7:45 a.m.

There's also a new law that mandates stratas do a long term plan. Check if they've done it or are doing it. Some places are putting it off because they don't want potential unit buyers to know what's wrong.

that's the depreciation report. and they won't be able to put it off for long since it's the law. i can pretty much guarantee condo owners won't be able to sell their units unless they can provide this to a potential purchaser.

Jan. 8, 2013, 8:54 a.m.

Find out their policy on unit rentals. Will give you an idea of owner/renter ratio, how to deal with troublesome renters and on the other side of the coin, how easy it would be for you rent out your place if you had to move but don't want to/can't sell. Sometimes people rent out illegally without notifying the strata … find out about this too.

Jan. 8, 2013, 10:02 a.m.

that's the depreciation report. and they won't be able to put it off for long since it's the law. i can pretty much guarantee condo owners won't be able to sell their units unless they can provide this to a potential purchaser.

Actually they can put it off indefinately so long as the Owners approve a 3/4 vote at a general meeting.

I'm skeptical that the buying public will put as much stock in this as the legislators think. I'm hearing rumblings that particular amendment to the act is already being considered for repeal or further amendment.

The intentions are good, but the implementation is flawed.

Jan. 8, 2013, 10:56 a.m.

Another tip for something to check that most people don't:

Have a good look at the building's insurance policy and whether there's been a proper appraisal done recently to index the value of the policy and make sure the policy has adequate coverage for a rebuild in case of complete loss… (I would guess the older the building, the more likely the replacement value is not correctly assessed in the policy)

Its not unusual for the insurance provider to simply increase the value by x% (inflation) for several years in a row without proper appraisal of what it would cost to rebuild in case of complete loss… Most owners simply assume that the insurance broker is offering adequate coverage and that the management company also keeps a good eye on things.

If a fire happens causing complete loss, it might turn out that the building is under-insured to the tune of millions and each strata owner will have to quick in a substantial special assessment to cover the cost of rebuilt…

:canada: :czech: