hipsters

April 12, 2013, 9:59 a.m.

Given that I've ridden with three different Canadian women's DH champions and one XC, I find the phrase "rides like a girl" takes on a different meaning for me.

Kn.

There are woman pro Iron "Man" Triathletes whose times put them on the Pro Men's podium, and blow away the times of 99.9% men.

April 12, 2013, 9:59 a.m.

I question the motives of any guy who feels the need to assert how much of a man he is.

You mean like how you always post about how much more manly your life is in da north and how we're all idiots for living in the city?

April 12, 2013, 10:01 a.m.

I find the hipster scene a bit ridiculous sometimes but that being said, I find ANY scene kind of stupid. I think the hipster scene is easy to laugh at because they're all trying to be unique individuals but all look the same. Defeats the purpose of trying to be an individual as far as I can tell.

Anyone dressing a certain way or acting a certain way (hipsters/manly men working oil rigs/feather and leather hippies/hardcore mountain poeple wearing down jackets and arteryx gear etc etc) just to be recognized and fit in with other like minded people are all sheeple.

April 12, 2013, 10:11 a.m.

One more little story… just for you farmer.

I took my girlfriend to see the Calgary Philharmonic this weekend, we stayed in a nice hotel and ate at a couple nice restaurants. We enjoyed fine cocktails, and had a lovely visit with Premier Redford. I wore my CK suit, a nice pressed white shirt, and an expensive watch. We went shoe shopping the next day, and I dropped 300 bones on a pair of dress boots that work nicely with one of my outfits, she dropped close to the same on a pair of work heels.

In a month we're heading out quadding, camping, and fishing. In between now and then, we'll babysit for friends, probably do some shopping, watch a movie or 3, eat at a couple dive bars, eat at a trendy restaurant for her birthday, and maybe host a dinner party. Seeing a trend here? I consider myself to be a pretty good man, but by your definition, I can't be because I went shoe shopping with my girlfriend and enjoyed an orchestra (where, by the way, we got to hear a Stradivarius. What a phenomenal experience!)

Be yourself and let other people be themselves. Most of us learned that simple lesson from picture books when we were 5, maybe it's about time you learned it too.

April 12, 2013, 10:13 a.m.

must be nice to be rich

April 12, 2013, 10:15 a.m.

must be nice to be rich

Funded by savings resultant from quitting smoking.

April 12, 2013, 10:18 a.m.

oh that's nice

April 12, 2013, 10:20 a.m.

oh that's nice

6 months of not smoking 2 packs a day (me) and 1 every 2 days (her) stacks up!

April 12, 2013, 10:21 a.m.

I find the hipster scene a bit ridiculous sometimes but that being said, I find ANY scene kind of stupid. I think the hipster scene is easy to laugh at because they're all trying to be unique individuals but all look the same. Defeats the purpose of trying to be an individual as far as I can tell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVygqjyS4CA

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

April 12, 2013, 10:31 a.m.

^^^ Beat me to it.

April 12, 2013, 10:34 a.m.

Hipster is a bit of a relative term… my friends from the burbs think I'm a hipster, yet where I live (Main and 6th) I am a bit of an outcast for not being remotely hipster.

Good point. How's your mini-fridge full of craft beer doing, you fucking hipster?

flickr

April 12, 2013, 10:43 a.m.

One more little story… just for you farmer.

I took my girlfriend to see the Calgary Philharmonic this weekend, we stayed in a nice hotel and ate at a couple nice restaurants. We enjoyed fine cocktails, and had a lovely visit with Premier Redford. I wore my CK suit, a nice pressed white shirt, and an expensive watch. We went shoe shopping the next day, and I dropped 300 bones on a pair of dress boots that work nicely with one of my outfits, she dropped close to the same on a pair of work heels.

In a month we're heading out quadding, camping, and fishing. In between now and then, we'll babysit for friends, probably do some shopping, watch a movie or 3, eat at a couple dive bars, eat at a trendy restaurant for her birthday, and maybe host a dinner party. Seeing a trend here? I consider myself to be a pretty good man, but by your definition, I can't be because I went shoe shopping with my girlfriend and enjoyed an orchestra (where, by the way, we got to hear a Stradivarius. What a phenomenal experience!)

Be yourself and let other people be themselves. Most of us learned that simple lesson from picture books when we were 5, maybe it's about time you learned it too.

What happens if you break up? There's an aweful lot of talk about your girlfriend and not much about yourself there..
just sayin'

April 12, 2013, 11:21 a.m.

What happens if you break up? There's an aweful lot of talk about your girlfriend and not much about yourself there..
just sayin'

I replace the orchestra with casual dating, continue to camp and quad - just rip the machine a little faster, maybe spend a bit more time working, and continue to shop for myself with advice from my long standing and very close friend/wing women who provides great advice.

I've got my own identity, she just happens to fit very nicely into it and I into hers - we both know, as well, that this summer we aren't going to get to spend as much time together as we'd like, so we made a conscious choice to get a bunch in right now and in the coming couple of months, even though we're also looking for the right way to cut the distance that different cities provide.

I'll also go for a few rides in there, play a couple poker tournaments with the boys, respond to any fire calls I happen to be in town for, take a couple business trips, etc. I get "me" time too - but that wouldn't have been conducive to the "I can be sensitive and also manly" point that I was trying (and failing?) to make.

April 12, 2013, 11:44 a.m.

I think your definition of manhood is pretty narrow.

It seems to be compensated by his wide definition of "great song".

April 12, 2013, 12:09 p.m.

^ I know right.

I grew up logging, hunting, shooting random animate and inanimate things - but could never get into fishing (or any hunting where instead of stalking you just sat. (deer blinds, duck blinds etc. - well at least with duck the shooting part is great).

But fishing. I just don't get it. I live in one of the world's great stealhead areas - have caught all kinds of fish- but I still don't get it. You sit, you drink beer - once in a while you pull fish from river,lake what ever and let it go.

Everyone says - ooh its great to get out on the river, lake, stream with a buddies and beer etc. blah blah blah - but the fun part is the buddies and beer - the river, lake stream is nice as well - but really the fishing adds nothing.

But as a middle age, slightly overweight, father of two girls who spends the better part of most days at a desk - I have long given up on trying to be any more manly.

Have you been fishing in the lower mainland when the fish are running? Pick the wrong spot and you'll get in a fight: either because there are already so many people there that they trip over each other or because you're encroaching on some guys spot that he found last year and thinks he now owns. So many assholes at the rivers nowadays, it's just not worth the stress.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.