Highway/speed review....

July 2, 2014, 1:20 p.m.

Sweet!

The limit in LB doesn't bother me but it should be shorter on the north end for sure. Then when you pass the guy doing 85 in the 90 zone and then he passes you doing 85 in the 60 zone you have another chance to pass him before the single lane.

Biggest pet peeve of driving the S2S.

The guy clogging things up always seems to rock past you in LB then you need to get past him again once the limit goes back up.

July 2, 2014, 1:30 p.m.

wow, such fast, nearly at bundesstrassen level :lol:

July 2, 2014, 1:33 p.m.

Wow. I spent a good chunk of time crafting a letter to that survey a while back. The only other thing I asked them to do was to install about 500 more "Keep Right Unless to Pass" signs.

July 2, 2014, 1:35 p.m.

The sign should read if one car is following you…

I'm with you on this, but it's got to start somewhere.

wow, such fast, nearly at bundesstrassen level :lol:

Yah sorry, we have nothing remotely close to bundesstrassen or autobahn here. Of course, since drivers here feel no obligation to sort lanes by speed, there's no way it could safely work.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

July 2, 2014, 1:41 p.m.

On the cbc noon show the head of the truckers association said most big trucking firms have governed engines and they will not be changing the limits

July 2, 2014, 1:50 p.m.

Yah sorry, we have nothing remotely close to bundesstrassen or autobahn here. Of course, since drivers here feel no obligation to sort lanes by speed, there's no way it could safely work.

bundesstrasse = federal road, usually one lane, sometimes 2 (if 2 you can drive up to 120), most roads, they don't differ much from landstrassen (same road type, but owned by the state)

how things should be:

July 2, 2014, 1:51 p.m.

Not gonna change the drive to Whistler that much. The guy going 60 in the 80 zone will still do 60, now he will just speed up to 120 each time you get to a place you can pass.

July 2, 2014, 1:55 p.m.

It all works, as people said, as long as folks stay to the right. More signs and education is needed. I used to argue and argue with my buddy about it for years while people passed him on the right giving him the finger. Finally after being threatened with violent words from a passing van he got the message :idea:

Unfortunately for me my steering wheel shakes violently between 100-120kmh so I'll stick to the right and go 99kmh.

July 2, 2014, 4 p.m.

"Changes to the Motor Vehicle Act will also clarify that Mud and Snow (M+S) and mountain/snowflake tires are defined as winter tires, and change the dates winter tires are required on high mountain passes to the new time frame of October 1 to March 31, rather than October 1 to April 30"

It doesnt sound like it but does this make snow tires mandatory as they are in other provinces, when that happened back east there was a run on snow tires
?

They should have it as M+S plus chains.

Getting people out of the left lane will do a lot more than increasing limits. Doubt it will happen though as there are too many people who hog the road because they pay taxes.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

July 2, 2014, 4:31 p.m.

I just don't get the mindset. I'm thrilled when someone wants to go faster than me.

"No, no, you stay behind while I get the ticket".

Of course, then there are those who go under the speed limit in the left lane. They should just have their licenses taken away.

When they painted the road lines, they should have had the single lane entering into the left lane instead of the right.

July 2, 2014, 4:45 p.m.

I just don't get the mindset. I'm thrilled when someone wants to go faster than me.

"No, no, you stay behind while I get the ticket".

Of course, then there are those who go under the speed limit in the left lane. They should just have their licenses taken away.

all of this.

July 2, 2014, 5:05 p.m.

On the cbc noon show the head of the truckers association said most big trucking firms have governed engines and they will not be changing the limits

burns way to much fuel.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

July 2, 2014, 5:12 p.m.

Of course, since drivers here feel no obligation to sort lanes by speed, there's no way it could safely work.

yeah, no shit eh? it's amazing how clueless so many drivers are. i was on the highway this afternoon driving from poco to dt and the slow lane was pretty much clear all the way in, the middle lane had a few people and the fast lane was clogged up for the most part. every once in a while i would come up on someone doing the right thing in the slow lane and it would mess with my flow. you see it at all the interchanges, people get on to the highway, get into the passing lane and then just sit there.

even high beaming people doesn't get them to pull over - entitlement and stupidity make for a damning combination.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

July 2, 2014, 5:21 p.m.

my son's driving instructor called the left lane "the lane of least resistance".
should have asked for my money back.:stupid:

July 2, 2014, 5:34 p.m.

i just don't know how you could even get a drivers' licence without knowing " keep right except to pass " . the altercations i've had ( gesturing , yelling , high beams , horn , once i even followed a guy into a rest stop to educate him ) tells me it is just plain ignorance of the law , shitty driving , and absolute lack of respect for other drivers .

the people i've seen over the years hanging out in the left lane just appalls me . particularly on the undivided sections of the sea to sky , why wouldn't you want to be as far away from oncoming traffic as possible ?

on topic though , i welcome the changes , but i wonder if we'll go through a period of more crashes as the shitty drivers feel compelled to maintain speeds that they are not comfortable operating their vehicles at ?