Hey! You all ok over there? (crazy storms in Vancouver and the Fraser Valley)

Aug. 30, 2015, 8:56 p.m.

Was coming out of Rona yesterday just in time to see a tree fall on powerlines behind the film studio, short things out, and cause two large explosions.

My in-laws were in town from the Island and wanted to hit up IKEA today, so we headed over after lunch. Found that all the traffic lights on Brunette and Lougheed were out, and all surrounding business were without power, but IKEA was open, running on generators, albeit with much reduced lighting in the store. Even mother nature can't shut down those profit loving Swedes!

Never lost power, but had no Shaw Internet, TV or phone for almost 24 hours.

Craziest driving was at the intersection of Lougheed and Gaglardi on Saturday afternoon…full on chaos as everyone implemented their own interpretation of the four way stop procedure.

Aug. 30, 2015, 9:17 p.m.

I had the kidlet at Haywood Park near Cap Mall on Saturday. Wind was strong but not too bad, then things started picking up quickly. I was getting ready to bug off as the trees were starting to drop small branches, when I heard a huge crack and looked south across Marine Drive just in time to see a massive 50-60 foot tree fall in the woods behind Steed's shop. Took out power to the block. Slow drive home as traffic lights were out all over the place.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Aug. 30, 2015, 10:08 p.m.

33 hours without power and the force was strong (in the wife) to keep the fridge and freezer closed. Resisted opening them even once, and they are both still cool. Freezer stuff still frozen, not solid but I'm not concerned.

Ice cubes in the fridges freezer are still solid!

Aug. 30, 2015, 10:55 p.m.

There was a storm? My patio umbrella didn't even get blown over. :P

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Aug. 31, 2015, 7:20 a.m.

Got 10 minutes of rain and a heavy breeze in Nanaimo, some scary shit I tells ya.

Aug. 31, 2015, 7:35 a.m.

Could be merged with the "First world problems" thread, lol.

Thread killer

Aug. 31, 2015, 8:35 a.m.

Meh, I hope the wind picks up again from the other direction so I don't have to rake the leaves!

Aug. 31, 2015, 10:07 a.m.

It's all the city officials fault. They said not to water the grass and trees, and now the trees came crashing down because they were so dry.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Aug. 31, 2015, 1:21 p.m.

I had the kidlet at Haywood Park near Cap Mall on Saturday. Wind was strong but not too bad, then things started picking up quickly. I was getting ready to bug off as the trees were starting to drop small branches, when I heard a huge crack and looked south across Marine Drive just in time to see a massive 50-60 foot tree fall in the woods behind Steed's shop. Took out power to the block. Slow drive home as traffic lights were out all over the place.

They posted an instagram video of that. Looks like it took out someones car too.