hey nerds

July 4, 2013, 11:48 a.m.

I heart my new ghey e-stalker, Duncan.

July 4, 2013, 4:09 p.m.

The barrier is generally whether or not it is more work to learn something new versus trying to figure out how to get something done with what you already know.

not necessarily true. i find that most things are based upon what is most popular and what is most popular gets the most use and such. It's not always an attribute to the quality of the product.

For instance, none of the GIS, 3D modelling software that I use at work is supported by Mac OS X. There is just no reason for them to tailor to that. So it's not a matter of learning to use a Mac better to get higher level function, there just is no support.

I thought about your NASA argument there for a bit. Sometimes we can fall into the pitfall of, "look, they're doing, so it must be the best" argument scheme. But usually, it ends up being what is most accessible, and popular. This is what I figure, not substantiated fact but a postulation. NASA's systems have always been based on UNIX, and are in part developed out of Berkeley. FreeBSD was developed out of Berkeley. From what I understand, the Mac OSX was created from the FreeBSD platform. For a long while Sparc Stations were the go-to Unix (micro)computers. But they have since been out-paced on the consumer market by other manufacturers. So, I figure since Macs are the only popular platform that natively supports UNIX, then it makes sense for them continue operating their control systems using Macs.

Just a thought.

"You know what's wrong with Vancouver? You can't pee off of your own balcony without getting in trouble"
- Phil Gordon

July 4, 2013, 5:42 p.m.

NASA was around before Unix.

Apple purchased Next, whose OS was based on BSD, and moved it to the Mac.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

July 4, 2013, 6:41 p.m.

If this is true, then your question is scary. :eek:

The dumb is really strong in this thread.

with a company of nine people - 3 service techs, 4 sales staff, 1 accounts payable/receivable and me - you do what you can to with what you have

thanks for your input

Really Bowen? Neg rep just for a bad pun?

!lame!

Kn.

pretty sure + repped you with a neg comment - you're welcome

July 4, 2013, 7:14 p.m.

Just a thought.

Not saying its better or worse, you use the best tools that you have access to. Sometimes the most powerful tool may be hardest to learn or have a small user and support base, which may disqualify it as "the best tool".

July 4, 2013, 7:33 p.m.

General Dodge is better than Oldsmobuick. Anyone who thinks otherwise is retarded.

July 4, 2013, 8:18 p.m.

pretty sure + repped you with a neg comment - you're welcome

Red dot … means you owe me man!!!

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

July 4, 2013, 9:47 p.m.

Red dot … means you owe me man!!!

Kn.

:cuffs:

July 4, 2013, 11:04 p.m.

NASA was around before Unix.

Apple purchased Next, whose OS was based on BSD, and moved it to the Mac.

good to know.

"You know what's wrong with Vancouver? You can't pee off of your own balcony without getting in trouble"
- Phil Gordon

July 5, 2013, 6:42 a.m.

good to know.

Pretty sure that's how mr. jobs got back into apple.

July 5, 2013, 9:14 a.m.

with a company of nine people - 3 service techs, 4 sales staff, 1 accounts payable/receivable and me - you do what you can to with what you have

thanks for your input

I think it is time to invest in some professional IT consulting. Quicker than trying to learn how to do this stuff yourself, and probably cheaper in the long run too.

What kind of firewall are you running on your internet connection? There are several small business class firewalls that act as a VPN gateway.

A modest hardware investment and a day and a half of consulting time and you could have everyone there set up with VPN on their laptop so they can access files securely from home or on the road.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

July 5, 2013, 10:28 a.m.

Pretty sure that's how mr. jobs got back into apple.

I think he only got $400 million out of the deal.

And he got back into Apple because the company was on the verge of tanking and they figured out a Pepsi exec wasn't the right person to run a computer company.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

July 5, 2013, 2:36 p.m.

Apple can thank Microsoft for their existence.

http://www.wired.com/thisdayintech/2009/08/dayintech_0806/

:canada:

July 5, 2013, 3:19 p.m.

That article mentions that ms was worried about antitrust/ monopoly laws… Thats the real reason they lent a few bucks over..150m is peanuts nowadays… All you apple haters now know it is bill gates you have to blame!! Lol

July 5, 2013, 5:29 p.m.

No. Half of the apps sold for the Mac were Microsoft apps. It was good business for MS to help Apple. Jobs stopped the endless lawsuits and Apple moved on.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells