May 23, 2015, 11:43 p.m.

good on ya.

Pastor of Muppets

May 24, 2015, 12:24 a.m.

good on ya.

YES, welcome to 2015.

May 24, 2015, 1:24 a.m.

What? They legalized divorce in 1995.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

May 24, 2015, 1:28 a.m.

What? They legalized divorce in 1995.

that changes yesterdays historic decission in exactly which way?

May 24, 2015, 1:40 a.m.

Dunno'. Whad're we talking about?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

May 24, 2015, 6:21 a.m.

Now if they legalize abortion, they might actually enter the modern era.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

May 24, 2015, 11:29 a.m.

What'a crazy about all this…. unfortunately Ireland is not "catching up" with the rest of the world, they are leading. Ireland is only the 19th country to legalize gay marriage, the first to approve it by a popular vote. Even California, the most liberal of states, the gay marriage referendum did not pass the vote.

In more of the world being gay is illegal than allows gay marriage. Heck, most of the middle east still considers being gay punishable by death.

So, way to go Ireland by setting an example for the rest of the world and leading !

May 24, 2015, 11:41 a.m.

So I thought you could marry another dude in Canada no? How exactly is Ireland leading the world then?

Ha Ha! Made you look.

May 24, 2015, 2:27 p.m.

So I thought you could marry another dude in Canada no? How exactly is Ireland leading the world then?

Being one of the first 19 countries. to do something is definately 'leading'.

I know we're having a plebecite. on transit, but I must have missed the one on gay marriage. Ireland is the only country where the electorate at large approved gay marriage by popular vote. They're ahead of us on that. Take all the opinion polls in Canada you want, but Ireland just proved to the world how accepting of gay. marriage they are. Everywhere else relied on the courts.

As an aside, while I applaud Ireland for the result of the vote, I am opposed to the notion of putting a human right to popular vote. Either the politicians agree that everyone is to be accorded the same rights or our courts enforce it. Letting people vote on rights, thereby having the opportunity to deny them, is offensive.

May 24, 2015, 4:22 p.m.

If you aint first you're last

Ha Ha! Made you look.

May 24, 2015, 4:51 p.m.

I think he means, that if put to a popular vote, gay marriage in Canada would lose.

www.natooke.com

May 24, 2015, 10:03 p.m.

I think he means, that if put to a popular vote, gay marriage in Canada would lose.

I'm not sure it would lose if put to a vote in Canada, but I think support would be clustered in the cities, and even then only in parts of the city. My grandmother is a super nice lady and cooks like a star, but I know she doesn't support gay marriage. A lot of Canadian immigrants from religious conservative countries would generally oppose it. I go back to the fact California, home of San Francisco and one of the most liberal states, did not support gay marriage by popular vote.

That says something about how incredible it is that about 62% of Irish voters supported it. I hate that human rights can be voted upon, but, the Irish just rubbed their open mindedness in everyone's face. No other country has done what Ireland just did.

So yes, the Irish were first are are leading.

May 24, 2015, 10:06 p.m.

If you aint first you're last

Let's list the countries that supported gay marriage in a popular vote. For greater accuracy, I'll list in chronological order:

1. Ireland

May 25, 2015, 7:47 a.m.

I'm not sure it would lose if put to a vote in Canada, but I think support would be clustered in the cities, and even then only in parts of the city. My grandmother is a super nice lady and cooks like a star, but I know she doesn't support gay marriage. A lot of Canadian immigrants from religious conservative countries would generally oppose it. I go back to the fact California, home of San Francisco and one of the most liberal states, did not support gay marriage by popular vote.

That says something about how incredible it is that about 62% of Irish voters supported it. I hate that human rights can be voted upon, but, the Irish just rubbed their open mindedness in everyone's face. No other country has done what Ireland just did.

So yes, the Irish were first are are leading.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_marriage_in_Canada

In 2012, a poll by Forum Research showed that 66.4% of Canadians approved of legalized same-sex marriage, while 33.6% were opposed. Support for same-sex marriage was highest in Quebec (72%) and British Columbia (70.2%), while lowest in Alberta (45.6%).[102]

A May 2013 Ipsos poll of residents of 16 countries found that 63% of respondents in Canada were in favour of same-sex marriage and another 13% supported other form of recognition for same-sex couples.[103].

I'm guessing the low support in Alberta can be attributed to the NDP winning the election.

May 25, 2015, 10 a.m.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_marriage_in_Canada

I'm guessing the low support in Alberta can be attributed to the NDP winning the election.

Fantastic ! I never did search for statistics, but, nice to see that support is that high. Still, a poll is just that, a poll. I suspect many people hold bias' that they would not reveal to a pollster but may on a secret ballot.