Help with China Visa

Dec. 15, 2016, 9:25 a.m.

Ok, so I'm a moron (or am I?) for booking flights to China. It was only a day after did I think about the possibility of requiring a visiting Visa. And turns out that it looks like I do need one.

I'm traveling to Shanghai, Taiwan and Taipei leaving on December 25th and will be there for about a week and a half. So fortunately, I still have a little bit of time. Anyone have experience with applying or a Visa?

Is it this link that I follow and register?
https://china.visacenter.ca/apply

Does anyone here know of any places in the lower mainland that can help with the visa application?

Dec. 15, 2016, 9:57 a.m.

the GF's kid went to China for a school exchange, so we gave the passport (yeah sketchy eh!) to a guy in the food court at metro town and buddy fixed it

a travel agency who deals with china alot might help you

10 days is seriously not much time

Dec. 15, 2016, 10:12 a.m.

http://vancouver.china-consulate.org/eng/ go to the location on West Broadway near Oak.

Had to go for work a couple years ago and needed a business VISA turned around in 48 hours and they got it done (with the right documentation), so visitor should be easy.

Dec. 15, 2016, 11:16 a.m.

A decade ago I used a place on Broadway, it may have been the consulate, but I don't recall for sure.

My office uses this place: https://www.anyvisa.ca/china?origin=canada[HTML_REMOVED]destination=china

Dec. 15, 2016, 2:15 p.m.

Go here 999 Broadway (at Oak St.) above the BCAA office. They only accept Cash or debit. You can pay extra to get the visa within a couple of days otherwise turnaround is about 7-10 days. You will need to bring your Passport to process.

Dec. 15, 2016, 5:59 p.m.

In case someone is interested, Taiwan does not require a visa.

Dec. 15, 2016, 6:02 p.m.

Thanks guys…

I called two places. First place tried to rip me off for an extra 100$ for expediting even though I still had ~ 10 days (hesitation in her voice when I asked for a quote). Another place only charged me 200$ for up to 9 years for re-entry into China and could get it done within 5 days.

I went to this place on Broadway: https://www.visacenter.ca/

I finally know what in the hell all those "immigration offices" with Chinese signs are…

Dec. 15, 2016, 7:10 p.m.

Thanks guys…

I called two places. First place tried to rip me off for an extra 100$ for expediting even though I still had ~ 10 days (hesitation in her voice when I asked for a quote). Another place only charged me 200$ for up to 9 years for re-entry into China and could get it done within 5 days.

I went to this place on Broadway: https://www.visacenter.ca/

I finally know what in the hell all those "immigration offices" with Chinese signs are…

How many entries do you get? Limits for length of stay?

www.natooke.com

Dec. 16, 2016, 10:15 a.m.

How many entries do you get? Limits for length of stay?

According to their website:

"CANADIAN passports (all visa types) valid up to 10 years depending on passport validity with max 60 days stay)

I'll have to ask how many re-entries I can get exactly, but I did give the lady my flight itinerary and she seemed super confident and knew exactly what had to be done… so hopefully I don't get screwed returning back from Taiwan to Guanzhao.

I know some of you guys have traveled and even lived in China, so advice and recommendations would be super appreciated btw!

Dec. 16, 2016, 12:46 p.m.

I lived there for 8 years and I've been back for a bit more than 1 year. The place changes so fast I'm sure my knowledge of good spots has mostly expired lol.

My hands down favorite place was Xinjiang province but It's way out west and takes at least a week to check out properly.

www.natooke.com

Dec. 21, 2016, 10:23 p.m.

I lived there for 8 years and I've been back for a bit more than 1 year. The place changes so fast I'm sure my knowledge of good spots has mostly expired lol.

My hands down favorite place was Xinjiang province but It's way out west and takes at least a week to check out properly.

Do you use your Mandarin much here? Did you end up coming back with a lady friend you posted about a few years ago? Any regrets about coming back?

Dec. 22, 2016, 5:38 a.m.

Mandarin is still what the wife and I use at home most of the time, old habits die hard. I've used it a bit when out and about but I generally avoid it. Feel like it makes me look like a show off. Coming back was a huge mistake.

www.natooke.com

Dec. 23, 2016, 10:37 a.m.

Since you mentioned Taiwan, Canadians are visa-exempt when visiting the country.

For China, VisaForChina.org is the official site for visa application.

Dec. 23, 2016, 10:51 a.m.

Coming back was a huge mistake.

why was coming back a huge mistake?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 23, 2016, 11:58 a.m.

why was coming back a huge mistake?

Also back to Canada in general or just Vancouver?