help, im in traffic

Dec. 28, 2012, 7:32 p.m.

I bought a TV on sale boxing day. Online. No traffic problems, went for a little hike after.

Kn.

I bought a nothing on boxing day, because it's a sham.

Dec. 28, 2012, 7:40 p.m.

As a volunteer firefighter who gets paged to ghost incidents daily because callers are unable to answer protocol questions (what happened, injuries, etc) for bullshit like this, I also agree. Here's another helpful hint: if you see a vehicle in the ditch on it's wheels, with the engine running and no signs of distress, don't call 911 unless you've stopped to confirm it's an emergency - you're wrecking 15 people's days while somebody is waiting for a tow truck. We leave our jobs, families, lives to respond to those calls and it's unbelievably frustrating when we pull on scene and find out that the caller never stopped to talk to the driver to find out the nature of the incident. There have been days where I burn 8 hours chasing crap like that from the ill-educated public.

We all want to help, and of course we'll respond if called. Just please don't waste our time with non-emergencies, there are far more volunteers than full time staff in emergency services.

Yes to fines. And a thank you to you sir for your volunteer efforts. My Father was a full-time Paramedic for 35 years and a volunteer firefighter for much of that time (until the union told him he couldn't volunteer as a firefighter anymore). I remember the late night call outs and appreciate how much you guys sacrifice.

Dec. 28, 2012, 7:41 p.m.

I feel the same way about boxing day, black friday, black thursday (formerly known as thanksgiving). If I really need something, I probably would have already bought it. If I start looking, I'm sure I will find something that I think I need yet would have been perfectly happy had I never seen.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

Dec. 28, 2012, 7:45 p.m.

I bought a nothing on boxing day, because it's a sham.

Only if you get lured into buying something you weren't planning to buy anyhow.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Dec. 28, 2012, 8:07 p.m.

Only if you get lured into buying something you weren't planning to buy anyhow.

Kn.

100% of people claim not to be affected by marketing ploys. Why'd you buy your TV? Why'd you by that TV? When did you decide that you were going to buy that particular model of TV on boxing day at that price?

Dec. 29, 2012, 8:12 a.m.

The local retailers I talked to said sales wise it was NOT a big year like last year …nobody has any money?

I bought some stuff at marks cuz it was 20% off of everything

Dec. 30, 2012, 8:44 a.m.

100% of people claim not to be affected by marketing ploys. Why'd you buy your TV? Why'd you by that TV? When did you decide that you were going to buy that particular model of TV on boxing day at that price?

Planned to buy some three months ago, since it's not a NEED, I held back until I could get the size I wanted for the cheapest price. Didn't even want anything high performance, as it's mostly for watching news at night. So 40" and CHEAP were the two top priorities.

Kn.

Dec. 30, 2012, 9:32 a.m.

Planned to buy some three months ago, since it's not a NEED, I held back until I could get the size I wanted for the cheapest price. Didn't even want anything high performance, as it's mostly for watching news at night. So 40" and CHEAP were the two top priorities.

Kn.

I'm go-t, and I approve this purchase.

Gt.

Dec. 30, 2012, 11:21 a.m.

I bought a TV about a year ago after my last TV (a perfectly good Panasonic Rear 50" projection TV that was given to me by someone who had "upgraded") died. Did some research and kept my eye on online deals for a few weeks, finally pulled the trigger on a "discontinued" model online from a bricks-and-mortar retailer at a bargain price. TVs are so funny. I feel sorry for people who spend $2000 on a TV today that will probably could be had for about 1/2 that in a year and a half.

I generally don't go shopping on Boxing Day.

Dec. 30, 2012, 9:05 p.m.

I like to buy a new TV at full price in September then bring the receipt in on boxing day and demand a refund of the difference down to the sale price.

…yes some people actually try that shit, and fully expect to get their money too.

www.natooke.com

Dec. 31, 2012, 9:31 a.m.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/emergency+dispatchers+compile+list+silliest+most+absurd+calls/7758852/story.html

"…dispatchers have compiled a list of the silliest, most absurd and most inappropriate calls to come their way in the last few years:

A caller asked who won the hockey game.

A caller said her daughter was refusing to clean her room, and she wanted police to make her daughter do it.

A caller asked if a specific store would honour returns without receipts on Boxing Day.

“I made 911 my password on my cellphone voicemail” – reason for accidentally dialing 911 repeatedly.

Callers calling for taxis (E-Comm applauds planning for a safe ride home but callers need to call taxis directly, not 911).

A caller reporting his television was broken.

A man visiting from out of province called to ask for the local time.

A caller asked how to configure voicemail settings.

A caller complained about a lousy tasting chicken sandwich from a fast-food restaurant.

A caller reported there was a spider in their living room.

“Most callers know 911 is for police, fire and medical emergencies where immediate action is required: Someone’s health, safety or property is in jeopardy or a crime is in progress For (non-emergency) calls, we ask that people call the non-emergency 10-digit numbers for their local police department so we keep 911 lines free for true emergencies,” E-Comm said.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/emergency+dispatchers+compile+list+silliest+most+absurd+calls/7758852/story.html#ixzz2GeSIM62n

www.muddbunnies.com
www.nsmba.ca
www.bteamlovesyou.com

you can always make more money but you can never make more time.

I think it's called work for a reason. Or else they probably would have called it fun-time at the fun factory.

Dec. 31, 2012, 10:12 a.m.

It's too bad that people do not get fined for nonsense like this.

They do in Nova Scotia.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2006/04/05/ns-cell911-20060405.html

One thing that I've always thought "they" should have is a quick number for non-emergency
calls. Such as, you come out from the store and your windows are smashed in. It's not an
emergency, but do you really have the time to go and try and find the phone number for your
local police department? Why not a provincial quick number like 922 that gets you a operator
that can redirect you to your local police? 411 doesn't work as there is no person, it costs
a bunch and when the answer comes back wrong (which it has for me more times than not)
you have to spend more money to call again, try and get a person and explain it.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Dec. 31, 2012, 10:20 a.m.

For those that don't know already … BC has the nurse's hotline for medical non-emergency. Dial 811 and you will get through to a RN, pharmacist or dietitian. You can describe the issue and they will recommend course of action. We called because our kid was very sick last week (puking 3 times in 6 hours), they run through a list of questions and for us, they recommended "see a doctor within 1 hour".

For other non-emergency, it's kind of difficult as HI says, there's no single non-emergency number in BC. I've called local police non-emergency to report someone that hit my car (lightly, only a small scratch) then took off. So, technically a hit-and-run, but very minor, nobody hurt. I was instructed to call 911. That kind of bugs me, because I think that it takes up 911 operator time for something really minor.

Kn.