Heavy Equipment

June 27, 2013, 10:43 a.m.

This morning.

June 27, 2013, 11:36 a.m.

Hot rod!

June 27, 2013, 12:45 p.m.

Hot rod!

That picture got me thinking: how does one manage the risk of tipping one of those machines over during operation? The tree in that picture isn't particularly big, but I can imagine a much larger tree at that angle would tend to tip the whole rig over. Is the weight of the machine so great that the tree is insignificant, or are there techniques used for heavier trees?

ps: love all the pictures in this thread.

Way back from the old school days of NSMB…

June 27, 2013, 1:10 p.m.

That picture got me thinking: how does one manage the risk of tipping one of those machines over during operation? The tree in that picture isn't particularly big, but I can imagine a much larger tree at that angle would tend to tip the whole rig over. Is the weight of the machine so great that the tree is insignificant, or are there techniques used for heavier trees?

ps: love all the pictures in this thread.

You won't be able to get the grab arms around a full sized tree. So you do multiple cuts, then push and hope she goes the right way.

See the 3 minute mark.

http://youtu.be/fn8MZc15vcY

Good footage here too..

http://youtu.be/GIKMeWI86u8

June 27, 2013, 1:11 p.m.

Ya that one. Rock driller got it. Dont the new Feller bunchers have some pretty complicated systems to help level the cab and keep the machine more stable?

WTF, Over?

June 27, 2013, 1:35 p.m.

ok , i might have just answered my own question sleeper , but is one of the benefits of those machines the fact they can lay the tree down rather than having it crash onto an uneven surface , resulting in less damaged wood / wastage ?

having laid down more than my fair share of trees , i can attest to the thrill and enjoyment , but if that machine makes better use out of more wood , then i'll ( reluctantly ) let go of my attachment to hand felling :lol:

June 27, 2013, 2:07 p.m.

ok , i might have just answered my own question sleeper , but is one of the benefits of those machines the fact they can lay the tree down rather than having it crash onto an uneven surface , resulting in less damaged wood / wastage ?

having laid down more than my fair share of trees , i can attest to the thrill and enjoyment , but if that machine makes better use out of more wood , then i'll ( reluctantly ) let go of my attachment to hand felling :lol:

It totally makes better use of the wood. Less damage to the tree. They can also pickup and place where the tree gets laid down, they can also lay it down more gently. If skidding is involved they can stack the trees in groups so the skidders don't have to build then own pulls, they're already stacked for them. In a yarding side, they can lay the tree down all parallel to the road so the grapple yarder operator has alot easier time grabbing them. Adding to efficency here as well. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things.

June 27, 2013, 2:59 p.m.

Nice to see that Prentice is still around, I think they were one of the first to build feller bunchers. I remember when the first one arrived in the East Kootenays the stir it caused. That must have been in the mid 70s.

June 27, 2013, 3:04 p.m.

Nice to see that Prentice is still around, I think they were one of the first to build feller bunchers. I remember when the first one arrived in the East Kootenays the stir it caused. That must have been in the mid 70s.

It's been tuned up and it's still a producer. The only really issue they had was running in the summer. Guys would try to run them in the shade during the afternoon. No dust from underneath them, and always a well lubed undercarriage..

June 27, 2013, 3:51 p.m.

Saw this going on in the AM while out walking the mutt.

I'm ignoring Smedley.

June 27, 2013, 7:16 p.m.

You won't be able to get the grab arms around a full sized tree. So you do multiple cuts, then push and hope she goes the right way.

See the 3 minute mark.

http://youtu.be/fn8MZc15vcY

Good footage here too..

http://youtu.be/GIKMeWI86u8

That first vid… smooth and fast operator!

Watching vids like this makes me feel like I've missed my calling

June 27, 2013, 9:48 p.m.

Totally depends on how it's outfitted from the factory and what options are chosen. All of 15 million, could run right up to 20. It's usually assembled onsite, 30-40 days to full assemble from new. They do move them complete once they're assembled usually onsite only though. Since they walk so slow. There are 30 year old cable shovels still earning livings everyday with 150,000+ hrs on them. From factory they're designed with a 20-25 year life span. But they can pretty much be rebuilt over and over and over as long as parts are available for them.

This ones a baby, but pretty common setup for moving..

I posted pictures of the lead truck on here before…

There are also various outfits who makes similar versions of this…

Cool..Thanks!

June 27, 2013, 10:40 p.m.

That first vid… smooth and fast operator!

Watching vids like this makes me feel like I've missed my calling

My good buddy Shawn, Most of the Tigercat buncher photos I post are of him.

He works in the fraser valley, his brother runs buncher up in PG, they've both been doing it for 10+ years.

June 28, 2013, 8:55 a.m.

Coal port bizzareness…

Berta…

Star Destroyer…

June 28, 2013, 8:59 a.m.

Thats a beast

Ha Ha! Made you look.