Head's up: 18%

Feb. 14, 2010, 7:05 p.m.

Just to add something substantive, I worked as a bus boy at Grouse Nest Restaurant - first ski-bum type job. It was good hard work. I busted my ass and got paid well. Got free skiing and free skis + badly needed lessons. Feel free to make fun of this Vlad and denigrate the experience as is your MO

And now a better dressed Ski Bum. Or is it now Dirt Bag the term that is used?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Feb. 14, 2010, 11:20 p.m.

i think people should tip the cashiers at grocery stores. 100x's the interaction with customers than most servers.

too bad chain grocery stores don't let there employees accept tips.

Feb. 15, 2010, 12:01 a.m.

What about hookers?

Should we tip them too? 100% interaction customer and they are doing you a service.

Feb. 15, 2010, 3:35 a.m.

I personally think tips is a cheap way out for managers. I agree that a good server deserves a good tip, and is generally a "good" thing to do on the customer's side, but I totally disagree that in anyway, the customer should be blamed for the cut in pay, or salary they didn't deserve. This is something waiters/waitresses don't always have control of. However, this does again, benefit the manager to force them to do a good job.

Feb. 15, 2010, 10:43 a.m.

Instead of paying them a tip, maybe the restaurants should figure out a way to
give their servers a higher pay…they should just charge more for food. Maybe
they should charge somewhere around 18%, then you know how much your
meal is going to cost and you're not tipping. Think of it as a restaurant "tax".

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Feb. 15, 2010, 12:14 p.m.

Instead of paying them a tip, maybe the restaurants should figure out a way to
give their servers a higher pay…they should just charge more for food. Maybe
they should charge somewhere around 18%, then you know how much your
meal is going to cost and you're not tipping. Think of it as a restaurant "tax".

This would not discourage those servers who feel entitled to tips from feeling entitled to an additional tip on top of the restaurant "tax".

My problem is not with tipping - it's with mandatory tipping AND the sense of entitlement that some servers have.

And despite what most servers will tell you I know for a fact that there are serving jobs out there that are Unionized. In addition to the non-taxed and often substantial income they receive from tips they also get a decent salary and full benefits package.

What pisses me off is that these establishments also use the 'mandatory' gratuity of __% - which is why I try to avoid them…

Feb. 15, 2010, 12:29 p.m.

Gosh, I sure feel silly for only realizing in this thread that cycylist.ca = J.K.
Never once in my life have I tipped below 17-18%. For excellent service, at least 20.

wow, M&M, you're a fucking dick!

don't be so politically correct, this is stacy kohut, not fucking rick hansen your talkin too……..

Feb. 15, 2010, 1:11 p.m.

This would not discourage those servers who feel entitled to tips from feeling entitled to an additional tip on top of the restaurant "tax".

My problem is not with tipping - it's with mandatory tipping AND the sense of entitlement that some servers have.

Again, I just don't know where some of you guys are eating at, because I can't
remember every having these kinds of experiences…(again, maybe it's just here
in Canada?)

And despite what most servers will tell you I know for a fact that there are serving jobs out there that are Unionized. In addition to the non-taxed and often substantial income they receive from tips they also get a decent salary and full benefits package.

Yes, some are unionized, but all the restaurant union packages I've seen don't
really include higher pay. They do include, vacation, sick days, maternity leave, mandatory
breaks, and in the states health care and accident coverage like AFLAC. I've also
seen one that had a mandatory tip on large groups over xx amount of people.

What pisses me off is that these establishments also use the 'mandatory' gratuity of __% - which is why I try to avoid them…

I've never been charged a mandatory gratuity in a restaurant except when I was
in a big party.

I think mandatory tipping is ok:
-when you know about it before you order (signs, waiter telling you, it's on the menu etc)
-Large groups (over 8 or so).
-During special functions (if it's a hotel restaurant) for conventions and such.
-And I think right now during the Olympics is ok too as there are so many from
out of country from countries that don't have a tipping system.

Always keep in mind that if you don't like it, you don't have to go there. I don't
like the fact that McDonalds food is so bad for me, and they are just perpetuating a culture of fat people. But, I don't eat there.

Feb. 15, 2010, 1:31 p.m.

LOL at the tip jar on the counter for the people selling drink tickets at some of the Olympic houses. You want a tip for taking my money and selling me a drink ticket?

Feb. 15, 2010, 1:45 p.m.

LOL at the tip jar on the counter for the people selling drink tickets at some of the Olympic houses. You want a tip for taking my money and selling me a drink ticket?

maybe if you tip them you'll get 2for1? :shhh:

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Feb. 15, 2010, 1:47 p.m.

That is funny. All you can do is laugh. I guess you can't blame them for trying?
:lol:

Feb. 15, 2010, 1:52 p.m.

HIBuLlitT: It's not where I've eaten - it's where I've worked… My first job that didn't involve being told what to do by a family member was in the food service industry… Quite a few of the servers there would bitch about their tips all day long… I also have some friends who worked as servers during the univeristy days and they'd moan to me about people leaving crappy tips when we we're both earning the same $6.50/hour crap wage - only my job wasn't considered tip worthy.

So it's not any Restaurant where I may dine where I think the servers have an over inflated sense of entitlement - it's through my personal experience with servers as co-workers/friends/acquaintences that I've learned that a hefty percentage of them feel that they are deserving of everything they get PLUS a little bit more.

And the Restaurant that I was speaking of when I mentioned it being unionized the base salary was $40k with full benefits/pension etc + Tips on top of that… I should also add that these kind of serving gigs are extremely hard to come by - because the take home income is so good there is ZERO turn over at these places…

Feb. 15, 2010, 1:53 p.m.

That is funny. All you can do is laugh. I guess you can't blame them for trying?
:lol:

I'm going to put a tip jar on my desk. I'm not talking to anyone, taking phone calls, answer emails, or doing anything for anyone unless they put some $$$ in the jar.

Feb. 15, 2010, 1:55 p.m.

Is that working for you? How many percent are you tipping?

Feb. 15, 2010, 1:59 p.m.

I doubt it, they're pretty cheap ;)

I ordered a glass of wine at one of the events the other day. The lady had poured it about a mm over the "line" on the cup, and she (with epic failure) attempted to pour it back into the bottle.

Well, it was a good laugh anyways!

Bicycles!