Headphones

Oct. 27, 2012, 11:42 p.m.

puts down headphones for a sec

Just been listening to some HD live stuff I have and ARE YOU FUCKIN KIDDIN ME!

Loopie's been missing out.

Oct. 28, 2012, 12:15 a.m.

^ oh yeah! Can't wait…queuing me up some Mark Knopfler right now.

Oct. 28, 2012, 9:41 a.m.

the best is when you pop in an old favorite and start hearing stuff you didnt know was there.

I've listened to every Zep, Hendrix, Floyd, and Beatles album well over a few hundred times. A good
set of headphones and there was just so much I was missing. Voice overs and instruments
I had no idea they put on the tracks. It's crazy.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Oct. 28, 2012, 10:16 a.m.

How do those big over ear headphones affect battery life on say a Samsung galaxy s3?

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Oct. 28, 2012, 10:17 a.m.

I just have a orange tiny terror. But I have no rhythm at all so I'm awful

Gotta start somewhere, and hey, you're doing more than those who just "look" at amps. Keep it up, that's a terrific lil' amp :)

How do you like the Diezels? Especially the VH4. It's on my list of amps to try at some point because Adam Jones uses one, or used to, or whatever.

Adam's rig is a combination of a silverface VH4, an early '96 blueface VH4, and a Marshall Super-Bass that's been modded by Friedman in Hollywood. No matter who buys what, you'll never be able to cop Adam's tone. It's very unique and there's a lot of pixie dust on his amps.

As for Diezel amps? I own 2, and will own a third in the next month or so. They're top-of-the-heap in my opinion. A very distinct tone and feel. Incredible players. The VH4 is considered the King of all Diezels due to its being the first to offer the signature Diezel tone. Herbert is close 2nd and even more popular than the VH4 in Asia and areas of Europe. Overall though, the VH4 is probably the most common Diezel amp found in many studios across the globe. It records to perfection, and takes FX with ease. Incredible amp - period. I'm really diggin' the Hagen, as it's a wickedly voiced amp with a lot of liveliness to it.

I know Peter (Diezel) and his crew personally - and he's an awesome guy who really ups the ante when it comes to customer service and care. Quality that - for this price - can't be matched.

Oh, and as for Adam (Jones) - interesting cat who's always tongue-in-cheek about this tone. I've got one of his guitar picks in 19K gold as a neck pendent from him for my wife's and my 1st anniversary.

We're a tight freaky group us gear heads :dizzy:

Some hefty$ rigs ……. very nice.

Ya, well…. They sound every bit as good as they ought to. Once you get into it, it's hard to get out.

Cheers,
The Dirty

"I'm addicted to surfing."

Oct. 28, 2012, 10:35 a.m.

Ive been playing on and off for 10+ years, i just continually suck ass at it.
you sound like one cool cat DS. Id rep you but i have to spread the love around

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Oct. 28, 2012, 11:15 a.m.

Ive been playing on and off for 10+ years, i just continually suck ass at it.
you sound like one cool cat DS. Id rep you but i have to spread the love around

PM sent.

Oct. 28, 2012, 11:25 a.m.

PM sent.

who did you send it to cause i didnt get one

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Oct. 28, 2012, 12:13 p.m.

These guys are BEST.

$100 from B[HTML_REMOVED]H. Indestructable. Free if you simply steal them from any TV or radio station.

Oct. 28, 2012, 12:17 p.m.

i've come up with a shortlist of my recommended phones based on personal experience and price range.

under $100
Koss Porta Pro
http://www.koss.com/en/products/headphones/on-ear-headphones/PortaPro__Porta_Pro_On_Ear_Headphone
-there's nothing that compares under $100 and these will only set you back $35.
-looks wise you can find better but sound wise you won't in this price range.
-Koss' lifetime warranty kicks ass too.

$100-$150
Audio Technica ATH a700 now replaced by the a700x.
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/ef4d606736c89301/index.html
-imo the best bang for the buck phone.
-a long time fav in the pc gaming community also serves double duty as a fine closed back circumaural music phone.
-some great deals can be had online for the a700.

$150-$200
Audio Technica ATH M50s
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/57a64f4a9fdbefd9/index.html
-i've recommended this phone more than any other.
-sound great, look better. well built too.
-closed back and earpads help keep sound in and ambient noise out which also makes it a great gaming phone.
-the "s" model indicates the straight cable. go for it instead of the coiled cable as i find coiled cables a pain.

$200-$250
German Maestro GMP 240 aka MB Quart Phone 45x
http://www.german-maestro.de/US/gmp240.htm
-When the home audio division of MB Quart ceased operations in Germany some of the engineers on staff took over the show and continued operations under German Maestro. Still operates in the same building with mostly the same staff under a different title.
-my personal favorite and have owned both the 240 and 45x.
-regarded as the poor man's Beyer dt990 (arguably one of the finest on the planet) as explained here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/249869/reviews-mb-quart-qp55x-45x-very-very-poormans-dt990-k701
-circumaural and open back. very open and airy sound. almost like high quality speakers on your head.
-super light and super comfy.
-definitely need some amplification of some sort to get the most out of these.

Best desktop headset/mic combo
Beyerdynamic MMX 300 Manufactur
msrp $369
http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets/gaming/mmx-300-manufaktur.html
-less expensive than the standard MMX 300 even tho they share the same guts and give you options for a fully customizable appearance.
-32ohms so friendly to most standard pc sound cards but best when amplified (like any phone).

Best budget gaming headset/mic combo
Razer Carcharis
msrp $79
http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-audio/razer-carcharias
-actualy made by a reputable phone company, AKG, and rebadged for Razer.
-great for games. pretty good for music too.

Best in ear design
NONE
-in ear phones generally sound somewhat "nasily" and start to hurt (at least for me) after a short period of time and i personally find it kind of gross that one essentially handles what amounts to used q-tips on an every day basis.

What to avoid
Anything with the words "Beats by Dre" on it. Enough said.

What do you recommend for portable music players/phones, and how do they affect battery life? I'm not really how that works I would guess a high impedance would provide longer battery life but how do they then make it loud? I dont understand.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Oct. 28, 2012, 12:33 p.m.

I have a set of shure ear buds, just their low end 100 dollar ones..

Ill prolly be able to spend around 200 bucks eventually for whatever is best for playing awesome metal music. I don't have a specific preference I like ear buds cause its what I have but I like change too.
Im not sure that I need a microphone, cant see myself yelling at 12 year old about how i fucked their mom unless im mistaken about the purpose of a microphone.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Oct. 28, 2012, 12:44 p.m.

Thing to bear in mind too is that, when listening to MP3 format (or similar), one is dealing with a "lossee" based fundamental compression. So the finest nuances, audible "space", and "sonic textures" of the sounds won't be effectively conveyed through any headphones when coming from - say - an iPod or the like. That's the first stuff to go on the chopping block when converting full size music to transportable media.

Oct. 28, 2012, 12:54 p.m.

Thing to bear in mind too is that, when listening to MP3 format (or similar), one is dealing with a "lossee" based fundamental compression. So the finest nuances, audible "space", and "sonic textures" of the sounds won't be effectively conveyed through any headphones when coming from - say - an iPod or the like. That's the first stuff to go on the chopping block when converting full size music to transportable media.

The cool thing that ADS I think informed me of about switching from the iphone to galaxy S3, is that the S3 plays FLAC files natively. Nine Inch Nails never sounded so fucking good.
Apparently the headphone jack is much better quality as well compared to the iphone.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Oct. 29, 2012, 12:16 a.m.

ok…here is as good a place as any to start asking these questions.

DL this
http://kat.ph/city-and-colour-little-hell-2011-flac-t5583797.html

Track 6, Northern Wind

Is a good example of this "white noise" or steady hiss that is constant.

What is that? I'm a noob remember.

Oct. 29, 2012, 12:57 a.m.

The cool thing that ADS I think informed me of about switching from the iphone to galaxy S3, is that the S3 plays FLAC files natively. Nine Inch Nails never sounded so fucking good.
Apparently the headphone jack is much better quality as well compared to the iphone.

Yep, I've slowly started moving my entire collection to FLAC and the difference in headphones is pretty staggering even from high bitrate MP3.

For what it's worth I'm using Shure SE315s. My 3rd pair of Shures now over maybe 15 years? They take some tweaking to get the low end to sound just right but once you do they are great.

Plus they keep the inside of my ears squeaky clean!

I also keep a set of AKG K121s around which are old favourites. I've had several pairs of AKG K-series over the years as well, both in and out of the studio. :)