He Who Must Not Be Named

Sept. 29, 2022, 12:14 p.m.

Posted by: Fast-Orange

Posted by: three-sheets

Why would I ever feel patriotic to a country that was created via the elimination of everyone who was living here beforehand and is now nothing more than a big resource extraction company with health care?

And before anyone says it the fact that other countries have worse living standards isn't good enough. Some other countries actually have better living standards so the point is moot.

I feel a sentimental attachment when I look north to the mountains or out into the ocean. I mean this city is my place of birth so it has a special place in my heart. But the maple leaf flag? Nope. I feel nothing when I look at that symbol.

Its a a sad thing when you cant be proud of who we are as a whole, and who we can become.

You will shit on the opportunities this country has afforded you and millions of others, but still take advantage of them without shame.

Shut the door on your way out.

Patriotism at its best makes people feel pride in accomplishments they didn't make. 

At it's worst it makes us hate people we've never met. 

I'll always do my best to make where I live a better place but my dream for humanity is one day we ditch all the flags and borders and evolve beyond such divisive concepts. I don't shit on the good things our country has to offer but given our resource wealth and strategic positioning it's pathetic crumbs. You think anyone deserves any cookies for the current economic conditions and services offered for average Canadians? What exactly are we celebrating here? Basic human rights? Contrary to popular belief most of the world has that. It doesn't make us special and we should stop using it as a shield against any and all criticism.

Not sure if you're running for anything but you've got my vote, dude. :)

Sept. 29, 2022, 12:55 p.m.

Patriotism at its best makes people feel pride in accomplishments they didn't make. 

At it's worst it makes us hate people we've never met. 

I'll always do my best to make where I live a better place but my dream for humanity is one day we ditch all the flags and borders and evolve beyond such divisive concepts. I don't shit on the good things our country has to offer but given our resource wealth and strategic positioning it's pathetic crumbs. You think anyone deserves any cookies for the current economic conditions and services offered for average Canadians? What exactly are we celebrating here? Basic human rights? Contrary to popular belief most of the world has that. It doesn't make us special and we should stop using it as a shield against any and all criticism.

Patriotism at its best makes people take part in the accomplishments of their country.

It seems like there are a lot of people that see their country/government as a shell that they simply exist inside, and not as the representation of the people living within it.  If you don't take some ownership when our country acts poorly it's no wonder you think it is stupid to be proud of the accomplishments.

You have a confused view of what patriotism is FO.  Pointing out that other countries also have human rights doesn't change anything, we can still be proud of our own progress.  Patriotism is also not about pride.  Patriotism should make you upset about the state of our resources and want to do something about it, even if that just means supporting the people that are fighting for the environment.  Even if we lived under the same banner this holds true.  

You keep talking about "being special".  That is nationalism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efjH-lSwdNE

Sept. 29, 2022, 12:58 p.m.

Posted by: BC_Nuggets

Not sure if you're running for anything but you've got my vote, dude. :)

Ironically, running for office typically requires patriotism.

Sept. 29, 2022, 1:35 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

Patriotism at its best makes people take part in the accomplishments of their country.

It seems like there are a lot of people that see their country/government as a shell that they simply exist inside, and not as the representation of the people living within it.  If you don't take some ownership when our country acts poorly it's no wonder you think it is stupid to be proud of the accomplishments.

You have a confused view of what patriotism is FO.  Pointing out that other countries also have human rights doesn't change anything, we can still be proud of our own progress.  Patriotism is also not about pride.  Patriotism should make you upset about the state of our resources and want to do something about it, even if that just means supporting the people that are fighting for the environment.  Even if we lived under the same banner this holds true.  

You keep talking about "being special".  That is nationalism.

/\On the money. 

Seems domestic terrorism would evaporate if those definitions were properly digested by the US Nationalist groups. Instead of Patriots doing God's work they'd wake up to being Assholes working against democracy.

Hmm, no wonder those types take such a shine to countries with State sponsored nationalism like Hungary...

Nov. 3, 2022, 1:01 p.m.

Was cleaning on the bookmark bar and found this, not sure if I ever shared it here or not. It's an interesting article that looking back seems to account for a lot of where we are now.  Worth the read.

https://hbr.org/2016/11/what-so-many-people-dont-get-about-the-u-s-working-class

Nov. 4, 2022, 8:23 p.m.

https://youtu.be/DC__TnujhFY

this kinda sums up every Shogun post since 2016.

Nov. 5, 2022, 11:20 a.m.

Wasn't sure where to drop this, but this thread seems appropriate.

Nov. 7, 2022, 12:10 a.m.

From what I can see from my point of view, it seems that the Republicans are doing everything to wreck the whole thing. Fun fact: it seems as if no authoritarian form of government could deliver on the promises and then most citizens and people simply were fed up. So...from a bird's eye view it is just a question of time.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Nov. 7, 2022, 2:07 p.m.

The odds are good for the Republicans to take both houses tomorrow. Unless there is a lot of unaccounted fear that gets Democrats out to the polls tomorrow we may be watching the beginning of the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKVBvooZ2c8

Here are the odds.  Yikes.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2022-election-forecast/

Last edited by: chupacabra on Nov. 7, 2022, 2:08 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 7, 2022, 4:20 p.m.

The odds are good for the Republicans to take both houses tomorrow. Unless there is a lot of unaccounted fear that gets Democrats out to the polls tomorrow we may be watching the beginning of the end.

Yeah, this is going to be a particularly rough midterm. The House and Senate are only part of the problem, Republicans are looking like they're going to get a bunch of crazies installed in critical election roles all over the country. The 2022 midterms could be the last fair election in the States.

Nov. 8, 2022, 9:26 a.m.

Posted by: Schnickelfritz

Yeah, this is going to be a particularly rough midterm. The House and Senate are only part of the problem, Republicans are looking like they're going to get a bunch of crazies installed in critical election roles all over the country. The 2022 midterms could be the last fair election in the States.

Conservatives in Canada must be desperate to obtain the US secret conservative sauce that allows them to ratfuck every aspect of the government and still have high approval ratings.

Nov. 8, 2022, 9:39 a.m.

Conservatives in Canada must be desperate to obtain the US secret conservative sauce that allows them to ratfuck every aspect of the government and still have high approval ratings.

Thankfully we don't have an electoral college, primaries, massive corporate spending, dark money, an alt-right propaganda machine, and a non-parlimentary system.

The GOP run the same basic program over and over again:

• 10 - Any chance possible when in power, break the government by all possible means
  • 20 - Scream about how broken the government is
  • 30 - Demand to be voted in to fix this broken government
  • 40 - GoTo 10

Last edited by: Couch_Surfer on Nov. 8, 2022, 9:45 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Nov. 8, 2022, 5:43 p.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

Thankfully we don't have an electoral college, primaries, massive corporate spending, dark money, an alt-right propaganda machine, and a non-parlimentary system.

The GOP run the same basic program over and over again:

• 10 - Any chance possible when in power, break the government by all possible means
  • 20 - Scream about how broken the government is
  • 30 - Demand to be voted in to fix this broken government
  • 40 - GoTo 10

An alt-right propaganda machine? You’re not on Facebook?

Nov. 8, 2022, 6:03 p.m.

^^ fair point.  I forgot about FB (dumped it years ago when it changed to an outrage machine)

Nov. 9, 2022, 7:26 a.m.

I legit thought America was going to grab that fascist brass ring hard last night.  Glad to be wrong on that.

So now what happens with Trump and the GOP?  He’s clearly an anchor and isn’t going to leave the GOP quietly.