Have you ever been mugged?

Jan. 3, 2008, 10:35 a.m.

not even the locals use that. You're brave!

I had been mostly in Zimbabwe prior and it was a safe way to get around. I figured I'd save a bunch by using it to get from Joburg to Cape Town. Wrong. Ended up on the train after getting mugged. Man was that a wacked ride with some strange boozing locals.

Jan. 3, 2008, 10:36 a.m.

yes, about 15 yrs ago near the metrotown skytrain. i was walking home in broad daylight on the 'train path and some guy ran up behind and grabbed my bag off my shoulder and ran off. i was so mad..ran after him screaming like a banshee and it freaked him out and he dropped my bag and ran off. i had people walking along the path coming up to me after saying that they thought we were just goofing around :rolleyes: what part of someone screaming "stop thief" is hard to understand.

Jan. 3, 2008, 10:47 a.m.

My wife got mugged in Tanzania. surrounded by a dozen guys knife to the throat.

they then all take off but one guy is grabbed by some local people who proceed to start beating the shit out of the guy. then the cops show up grab the guy and haul him to the police station. we go to the station and the robber is on the concrete floor with about 5 liters of blood on the floor from his head.

we went back the next day and the police denied ever arresting the guy.

Jan. 3, 2008, 11:10 a.m.

My wife got mugged in Tanzania. surrounded by a dozen guys knife to the throat.

they then all take off but one guy is grabbed by some local people who proceed to start beating the shit out of the guy. then the cops show up grab the guy and haul him to the police station. we go to the station and the robber is on the concrete floor with about 5 liters of blood on the floor from his head.

we went back the next day and the police denied ever arresting the guy.

I like this kind of justice.

People just watched the guys walk away after I got mugged. I looked around and they all just kinda shrugged the shoulders like "hey this happens hourly around here."

Jan. 3, 2008, 12:04 p.m.

sounds like there is a lot of crime in Canada. I've never known anyone that has been mugged.

all your mental armor drags me down

People will instinctively do more good if they know they will get credit for it.
Except for Hollywood Undead.

Jan. 3, 2008, 12:13 p.m.

I pulled a machete on a guy in Tangier's who tried to mug my wife and I. I then told him dont fuck with ex US army

probably a stupid thing to do in hindsight but I did feel like THE man at the time.

On SA we rode bikes from port Elizabeth to Capetown without a hint of a problem. but we did take the train in through the ghettos outside capetown

Jan. 3, 2008, 12:16 p.m.

I like this kind of justice.

People just watched the guys walk away after I got mugged. I looked around and they all just kinda shrugged the shoulders like "hey this happens hourly around here."

you know what the guy didn't deserve to die from stealing a hundred bucks and a camera. Life is cheap down there.

Jan. 3, 2008, 12:43 p.m.

Size doesn't matter in a mugging, there's usually more than one scumbag and they could be armed.

NEver been mugged myself, but also a bigger guy. Heard of lots of guys bigger than me getting mugged though. Only defence is to always be aware of your surroundings - and a weapon never hurts either.

Jan. 3, 2008, 1:02 p.m.

I've been mugged twice. Once when I was about 7 years old around Joyce station. A couple of teenagers stole 25 cents off me that I was going to use to play street fighter II. I was pretty scared.

Then when I was 15 at Stadium station. A couple of junkies pulled a knife on me. At first I thought it was a joke from my friends because they came from behind me so I punched them in the gut and grabbed my wallet back. But I turned around and my friends were shaking their heads because I wanted to fight. Apparently both those guys were carrying some sort of weapon I couldn't see. then the junkies robbed my friends. I didn't have money then either. They just took my bus fare.

Also, when I was in China, I felt like I was being robbed all the time because I was an English speaking Chinese guy and I don't think Chinese people there like me very much. They robbed me of my face.

The safest place I felt was in japan. I lost my wallet there in Nagoya Int'l airport with $1000 and my passport and it was returned to me safely and I had a news crew document the find. Of course, the police told me about how dangerous it could have been.

I take pictures with a camera

Jan. 3, 2008, 1:23 p.m.

you know what the guy didn't deserve to die from stealing a hundred bucks and a camera. Life is cheap down there.

true, goes both ways, lots of people would kill for a hundred bucks and a camera.

ive had 2 incidents:
1. i was working alone, sketchy addict came in and proceeded to threaten me with a dirty syringe that may have had aids/hepc/godknowswhat in it. pulled the till out threw it on the counter, back up a few feet. had my hand on a metal bar under the counter the whole time, in case he decided he wasnt happy. i hope i could have done what was necessary if the situation arose, i`ll never know though. he was arressted3 hours later with 900$ of coke/smack.

2. some drunk on the street, i threw a toonie at him and told him to fuck off. he could barely stand, i wasnt too concerned.

i like to think ive learned, now im alot more aware of whats going on around me, i look out for things that dont seem right. i like to think im a better person now learning from my past.

Jan. 3, 2008, 1:40 p.m.

Once in grade 10 me and a buddy were walking around downtown in broad daylight and we got approached by 3 guys younger/smaller than us who demanded our money. We just continued walking while they repeatedly told us they would fuck us up. Then we got on a bus and they kept yelling, then they tried to get on the bus and the bus driver told them to fuck off. It was pretty funny.

Another time more recently two guys (teenagers again) came up to me near hastings when I was on my way to work. I was locking up my bike and they said "give us your wallet and you won't get hurt" I whipped out my mini-lock and held it in a threatening manner and screamed as loud as I could that I'd break their faces if they touched me. They looked unsure all of a sudden so I took a step forward like I was about to club them and they ran…

I've been lucky so far, if I was being mugged by people I thought were scary and there were a lot of them w/ weapons I would hand my shit over….

www.natooke.com

Jan. 3, 2008, 2:29 p.m.

Yeah I agree on not deserving the dead part. Just a good beating that will hurt like hell when they wake up the next day.

Jan. 3, 2008, 2:55 p.m.

I was married….does that count?

I'm pretty sure he said mugged, not conned

Jan. 3, 2008, 3:45 p.m.

it was pretty common practice when I was down there that for bad crimes the local mob would put an old tire around your neck pour gas on you and light you on fire. it was called an African necklace

some pretty vicious vigilante justice.

Jan. 3, 2008, 4:03 p.m.

sounds like there is a lot of crime in Canada. I've never known anyone that has been mugged.

junkies need their fixes.