harper to take control of the CBC!?!?

May 6, 2013, 10:22 p.m.

http://www.avaaz.org/en/save_the_cbc_2013_b/?bPYPIab[HTML_REMOVED]v=24788

sign it. Half way there over night. Do it. Armchair warrior FTW!

Petitions are good. Direct contact with your MP is better.

Find your MP's address at http://www.parl.gc.ca/MembersOfParliament/MainMPsCompleteList.aspx?TimePeriod=current. Don't forget to cc the PM at [email protected].

Stay positive. Guidelines for writing to you MP at http://www.cpj.ca/en/content/how-write-letter-mp.

May 6, 2013, 10:30 p.m.

My MP is just another piece of shit Harper drone. He's done nothing but toe the Harper line, and I don't really have any interest in receiving some crappy form letter response from his shitty office.

The most significant thing my MP has done in his life is to enable wealthy Canadians hide their money from the tax man in offshore bank accounts.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2010/11/05/andrew-saxton-opposition-reaction.html

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

May 6, 2013, 10:54 p.m.

Harper wants to kill Mr. Dressup AND the Friendly Giant.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

May 7, 2013, 7:01 a.m.

My MP is just another piece of shit Harper drone. He's done nothing but toe the Harper line, and I don't really have any interest in receiving some crappy form letter response from his shitty office.

The most significant thing my MP has done in his life is to enable wealthy Canadians hide their money from the tax man in offshore bank accounts.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2010/11/05/andrew-saxton-opposition-reaction.html

Kn.

yeah, par for the course with the reformacons, people I know back in Whistler who were sending John Weston emails were accused by him of not being in his riding and he wanted them to prove to him that they were in his riding before he'd even sending them the talking point responses…..useless turds.

May 7, 2013, 10:43 a.m.

I've tried to take the high road in political discussions. Go read any National Post article and the comments section is nothing but name calling. But even this board isn't immune. Why can't people criticize this government without being called commies, loons and chicken littles? You know what? The sky is falling. My biggest fear is that as Harper rolls things back, because of NAFTA and other trade agreements, we're never going to be able to change it back to the way it was. Companies will sue the government because their profits are challenged by "unfair" legislation. It's scary. Anyhow, early in this post somebody asked what Harper has done wrong. And this is just off the top of my head:

- Shut down the freshwater lakes research station (that the Ontario government is now keeping open)
- Prevented government scientists from publically speaking
- Gutted environmental regulations (navigable waterways, etc.)
- Vic Toews! I mean, there's an argument all on it's own
- Pushed through omnibus bills with little to no debate (you know…what Parliament is supposed to do. Debate bills and talk about them)
- Pushed through tough-on-crime bills that go against conventional wisdom (listen to lawyers, criminologists, judges, Americans and ask them how mandatory sentencing works) and in the face of a decades long drop in the crime rate
- Pushed through copyright legislation at the behest of American entertainment companies
- Appointed borderline criminal Senators (who commit fraud, assaults, etc.)
- Have become corporate shills for pipeline and oil companies
- Just today re-tasked a major government science organization with doing more research on behalf of industries and corporations
- Cut the legs out from under Statistics Canada
- Ummmm…Robo-calls anybody?
- Spent millions and millions of dollars of taxpayer money on advertisements telling us that the Conservative government is doing a great job
- Set Canada up as Israel's lap dog, refusing to criticize anything that they do and compromising our long term standing as a sober and thoughtful international operator
- Bungled every major military procurement of the last 10 years

Is that not enough? Can you honestly argue in favour of this stuff?

May 7, 2013, 11:48 a.m.

I have equal respect for liberals, new democrat'rs and conservatives from a political standpoint. But I have no respect for anyone who'd vote for Harper. It's not about political views, it's about protecting our country and our rights as citizens.

As for the CBC - it's not surprising that Harper is trying to shut it down, the CBC does appear pretty left-winged. Of course, the reason they seem so left-of-center is because the Cons have been terrible, so the truth of course will make them look bad. Free press is a cornerstone of democracy though, if Harper doesn't like how he's portrayed in the press he should fix it through his actions, not by removing the press.

May 8, 2013, 12:36 a.m.

they closed the kits coast guard station …the busiest station in Canada

May 8, 2013, 5:12 a.m.

Hello Go-T,
Thank you for taking the time to write me regarding the closure of the Kitsilano station in Vancouver.
Your Government is committed to ensuring the safety of recreational boaters, sailors, and fishermen.
That is why we recently announced that a new inshore rescue boat will be stationed at HMCS Discovery in Vancouver Harbour during peak sailing and boating season in order to better protect the mariners. Inshore Rescue Boat are typically the fastest responders.
In addition, the Government has invested additional annual funding to enhance the capability of Royal Canadian Marine Search and Rescue to provide search and rescue services in the downtown Vancouver area.
Vancouver Harbour will continue to have an abundance of federally funded search and rescue assets available to protect and save lives.
British Columbia is served by 13 search and rescue lifeboats, 2 hovercraft (including one new) and 2 helicopters.
We are confident that changes in Vancouver will have no negative impact on our ability to respond quickly and effectively to distress incidents on the water.
Again thank you for taking the time to write me and please feel free to do so in the future with any concerns or questions.

Sincerely,

Rob

From my MP when I sent him a letter complaining about that…. any truth there Vancouverites?

May 8, 2013, 5:22 a.m.

From my MP when I sent him a letter complaining about that…. any truth there Vancouverites?

They replaced a hovercraft with a Zodiac.

That's like replacing an ambulance with a bicycle and a box of bandaids.

They also stole the volunteer run RCM lifeboat out of the Cove, not that they could get enough vollies to crew it anyways…..

Pastor of Muppets

May 8, 2013, 10:12 a.m.

As for the CBC - it's not surprising that Harper is trying to shut it down, the CBC does appear pretty left-winged. Of course, the reason they seem so left-of-center is because the Cons have been terrible, so the truth of course will make them look bad. Free press is a cornerstone of democracy though, if Harper doesn't like how he's portrayed in the press he should fix it through his actions, not by removing the press.

Most news sources appear to have a negative bias to whatever point on the political spectrum that the current government represents. The only reason that the CBC has a 'left-wing bias' right now, is because, like you said, the Harper government is so far right. If Mulcair and the NDP were elected, people on the left would be complaining about the CBC's right wing bias.

Controversy attracts viewers. The ruling party dominates the news cycle because they have more exposure. Simple as that. All one has to do is look at the CBC's coverage of the Liberal scandals during the Cretien/Martin years, no one was complaining about left-wing bias then because negative coverage of the Liberal government dominated the news cycle. As soon as the Liberals were removed from power, their share of negative coverage gradually declined as their exposure to the media declined, and the coverage of the then Minority Conservative government increased as their exposure to the media increased.

People complaining about left-wing bias at the CBC are either ignorant of how the sitting government always dominates the news coverage or they're just blindly echoing Conservative talking points without doing a little critical thinking first.

What's important to remember is that if you're on the fringes of the political spectrum, either right or left, everything is going to appear as if it's biased.

May 8, 2013, 10:21 a.m.

"Vancouver Harbour will continue to have an abundance of federally funded search and rescue assets available to protect and save lives.
British Columbia is served by 13 search and rescue lifeboats, 2 hovercraft (including one new) and 2 helicopters.
"

True only in the sense that Vancouver Harbour is now served by a facility down near Deltaport. It's about a 15 minute trip just to get to Vancouver Harbour from there. The MP's email (and all the other Harpercons) takes liberties with enlarging the territories that are protected by individual stations.

"We are confident that changes in Vancouver will have no negative impact on our ability to respond quickly and effectively to distress incidents on the water."

There has already been a negative impact. Response time to Vancouver Harbour (BC's busiest!!) is increased. Read article below …

http://www.theprovince.com/health/Freighter+crew+member+life+have+been+saved+Kitsilano+base/8231567/story.html?utm_source=feedburner[HTML_REMOVED]utm_medium=feed[HTML_REMOVED]utm_campaign=Feed%3a+canwest%2fF228+%28The+Province+-+News%29[HTML_REMOVED]utm_content=Google+International

A crew member on board a freighter in English Bay died of a heart attack Thursday evening, a sad occasion critics believe possibly could have been avoided if the Kitsilano Coast Guard Base were still open.

"We can’t say definitively … but everything we know about search and rescue is that the quicker you get there, the likelihood of saving a life is dramatically better," said Bill Tieleman, spokesman for the Union of Canadian Transportation Employees.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.