Guns

March 4, 2016, 9:40 a.m.

Any recomendations for places that offer the PAL/RPAL over a single weekend.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

A couple of friends and I just did our RPAL/PAL through a guy named Mike Kornitsky. He'll come to your house for a group of 2 or more. $160 for both and we had it done in an evening + a morning of review/testing.

This thread has been a good distraction while I wait for the paper work!

March 4, 2016, 9:47 a.m.

Silvercore does it , you have to have been in Canada for minimum of 5yrs as well

#northsidetrailbuilders

March 4, 2016, 4:47 p.m.

Silvercore does it , you have to have been in Canada for minimum of 5yrs as well

I believe Americans can get a PAL, I have heard hunters mention it that come up here to hunt often.

March 4, 2016, 6:23 p.m.

I believe Americans can get a PAL, I have heard hunters mention it that come up here to hunt often.

Yeah - it was this fact that sent me down the route of getting my PAL. I'd thought it was Citizens only, but around the brouhaha of the LGR discovered that pretty much anyone that wants one can get a PAL.

March 4, 2016, 6:26 p.m.

You can get your permits for the US to hunt and stuff , works both ways but are a real headache .

None of the guys from Silvercore cross the border with their own personal firearms when they compete in the 3 gun competitions , they said it,s a huge headache . I asked when we did our course .

You can only cross at one crossing , you have to call ahead , spend hours explaining your reasons for crossing , account for every shell casing etc .

My buddy does the western shooting and he won,t cross with his firearms either for events and such .

I will have to ask my uncle he has traveled a fair amount to hunt , I know he is heading back to Africa in a few months , not sure if he uses his own rifles .

#northsidetrailbuilders

March 4, 2016, 7:53 p.m.

It would seem that the wait was worth it; my CZ 527 in 7.62x39 showed up today after three weeks touring around the country with Canada Post. The dining room now smells like Ballistol and it is now sparkling clean. From the few dry fires, the trigger is CZ crisp and the set trigger is very light - we'll see how that works at the range.

Edit - tried it on my trigger scale and it has no creep and breaks at 2.5 lbs. The set trigger breaks at 1 lbs. This is going to be a fun shooter.

The walnut is naturally quite dark but the flash pics really show the grain.

March 4, 2016, 8:39 p.m.

Any of you guys have this biometric safe?

http://americangg.net/picks-biometric-safe-paper-clip/

March 5, 2016, 2:43 p.m.

I could have sworn that when I looked it up, non-resident citizens could get theirs, but maybe that has changed as well. At the time I had spoke with a fellow in Creston about challenging the test, I just never did it. Still, eventually I may re-patriate and at that time, it would be nice to have one piece of paperwork out of the way.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

March 5, 2016, 5:33 p.m.

I could have sworn that when I looked it up, non-resident citizens could get theirs, but maybe that has changed as well. At the time I had spoke with a fellow in Creston about challenging the test, I just never did it. Still, eventually I may re-patriate and at that time, it would be nice to have one piece of paperwork out of the way.

I will dig up my notes and see what it states , I know someone who just came to Canada and had permits to carry and the likes and was turned down for his PAL due to him not being here long enough or being a citizen

#northsidetrailbuilders

March 5, 2016, 6:14 p.m.

I will dig up my notes and see what it states , I know someone who just came to Canada and had permits to carry and the likes and was turned down for his PAL due to him not being here long enough or being a citizen

Here - from the RCMP directly:

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/information/lic-per-eng.htm

For Non-Residents Aged 18 and Older:

A Non-resident firearms declaration that has been confirmed by a customs officer is deemed to be a temporary licence for up to 60 days.
Non-residents who have passed the Canadian Firearms Safety Course can apply for a five-year PAL.

I don't know how up to date this site is, but they offer courses for Americans to get their PAL

http://www.firearmstraining.ca/american.html

March 5, 2016, 6:21 p.m.

Non-Residents can apply for their PAL, they must do the course like everyone else. Bringing Non-Restricted guns into Canada as an American is easy as long as you have your PAL. The problem lies with the application form, if its not filled out properly they are likely to just leave you hanging.

Being Canadian and bringing guns into the US is slightly more difficult as there are WAY more restrictions on firearms in the states than there are in Canada. You must make sure your in compliance with individual state laws as well. As far as I know if the firearms itself can be brought in, all you need is a State hunting licence and to fill out a green or pink form from the ATF and perhaps call in ahead. I know IPSC shooters who go down all the time, not a huge deal.

March 5, 2016, 6:23 p.m.

Here - from the RCMP directly:

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/information/lic-per-eng.htm

I don't know how up to date this site is, but they offer courses for Americans to get their PAL

http://www.firearmstraining.ca/american.html

not sure if that is for them living in Canada or using a firearm in Canada for hunting and the likes .

#northsidetrailbuilders

March 5, 2016, 6:26 p.m.

not sure if that is for them living in Canada or using a firearm in Canada for hunting and the likes .

Applying for a pal only has to do with target shooting or hunting in Canada. Living here or not should not be an issue.

Alot of the time the guys teaching the PAL courses will give simple answers to avoid explaining the grey areas since truthfully, nobody has any solid answers.

March 7, 2016, 10:42 p.m.

I checked out the firearms and hunting section in the Langley CT the other day and Matt there has done a nice job. They have a CZ Canadian on sale for $505 - that's the cheapest CZ I have seen in a long time. I wanted it, but I have already blown my budget for the year. Plus I love my open sights CZ Ultralux.

March 8, 2016, 5:58 a.m.

I checked out the firearms and hunting section in the Langley CT the other day and Matt there has done a nice job. They have a CZ Canadian on sale for $505 - that's the cheapest CZ I have seen in a long time. I wanted it, but I have already blown my budget for the year. Plus I love my open sights CZ Ultralux.

Buddy from work went to the show over the weekend , and in the end went to Abby CT and bought a rifle for less than any of the show prices .

Seems some CT's are well stocked and others have nothing same with Walmart , the Mission stores only carries ammunition , and no .22 that I could see .

#northsidetrailbuilders