Guns

Dec. 13, 2015, 12:56 a.m.

My not so powerful and certainly weird and little new acquisition that Canada Post delivered today!

I will for sure not look at you sideways in traffic?

Dec. 14, 2015, 7:41 a.m.

Managed to get my new VQ Accurizing kit installed - that was interesting taking apart a MKIII Ruger. It's not as bad as many complain about on the internet. It isn't the easiest, but methodical.

Also had a friend at the range and suggested I get out of the house, and my sons wanted to go (though one then decided to stay in the car). It was late, only managed to shoot for 45 minutes and I forgot the eye protection.

Dec. 14, 2015, 12:25 p.m.

Figure put this here with things that go Bang.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/sas-sniper-kills-five-isis-7007524

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Dec. 16, 2015, 5:05 p.m.

Everyone has opinions about scopes, Brother Lu. I have been very happy with my Nikon Monarch 3. It is a 4-16x50mm. Comes with a no questions asked warranty if needed. My rifle fell out of my gun boot on the quad this year, scraped the scope pretty good and it held zero perfectly.

But some people are brand loyal - swearing my Leupold or higher end Zeiss. The only scopes I would stay away from are Vortex - they seem to sell a warranty, and one that you will almost inevitably need

i have the Nikon Monarch 3 4-16x42mm, its nice. i have the option of looking through a nikon, leica, or zeiss telescope all day long. not a huge fan of the zeiss, leica is stupid clear and good light transmission, i usually go with nikon though, good transmission and coatings so less flare and fogging up is less of a issue.

Dec. 16, 2015, 8:47 p.m.

^ interesting. I am quite pleased with my Nikon scope, I would definitely buy another. This last hunting season, a group of us were heading out to blanket an area and my friend pointed over and said he 'was going to find a spot on that log pile' about 500 yards to our left.

I said "what pile?", as it was too dark to see that far. He gave me his new Swarovsky binos and sure enough, I could see the log pile through the glass. Huh. So I pulled up my rifle and looked down my Nikon, and I could see the log pile just as nice through my scope. I let him have a look and he kept going between the two for comparison.

He asks, "How much did you pay for this scope?"

I replied, "about $2 grand less than those binos". He bought a Nikon for his sheep rifle.

Dec. 18, 2015, 3:47 p.m.

^ interesting. I am quite pleased with my Nikon scope, I would definitely buy another. This last hunting season, a group of us were heading out to blanket an area and my friend pointed over and said he 'was going to find a spot on that log pile' about 500 yards to our left.

I said "what pile?", as it was too dark to see that far. He gave me his new Swarovsky binos and sure enough, I could see the log pile through the glass. Huh. So I pulled up my rifle and looked down my Nikon, and I could see the log pile just as nice through my scope. I let him have a look and he kept going between the two for comparison.

He asks, "How much did you pay for this scope?"

I replied, "about $2 grand less than those binos". He bought a Nikon for his sheep rifle.

I use nikon monarch 5 binos, im really happy with them. Its hard to tell the difference between them and binos that are triple the price.

Dec. 24, 2015, 5:33 p.m.

The family gave me a few hours to myself today so that I could go to the range, so of course I take those opportunities whenever available. Loaded up, took the big rifles - my 7mm MAG and my K31 7.5x55 - had a good shoot with both of those. I also always take a hand gun or two and I am just getting used to my new Ruger, so it came as well.

There was one other older fellow there and him and I started to chit chat. His name is Johnathan and he represented Canada for years as a trap shooter. At the right age of 77 he had never seen a .22 pistol like my Ruger and even though he was nervous, I showed him how to handle and sight the pistol, also how to bridge his arm to stop his shaking, and on the second magazine he hit 4/10 3" targets from 25 yards - impressive! He let me try his single shot Remington 700 in .204 and I think I have myself a new friend.

Another shooter showed up, so I went to the pistol range and am trying to learn to shoot a 95 score at 25 yards. I can do it under 12 yards no problem, but that extra 13 yards is tricky. I only shot 6 targets for points, needing to adjust my new Williams Fire Sights after the first three targets, but the best I managed was a score of 80. It can only get better with more trigger time.

Overall, it was an awesome Christmas Eve at the range. Now it's Dad time and my kids are so excited they want to go to bed already so that they can wake up and it will be Christmas. The fun years.

Dec. 31, 2015, 6:42 p.m.

I extended the offer to Rossco a week ago to come up and try shooting some different guns, figured a little gun powder aroma therapy would help take his mind off things. We had never met previously, I just know him from NSMB over the last decade. It was nice meeting Rossco, come back sometime soon.

We decided it would be a New Years Eve thing to do, so I packed up a small arsenal, picked him up at CT, and then off to the Squamish range we went. It was a lot fun and it turns out Rossco is a natural good shooter. Pun intended, it was a blast; definitely a good way to spend the day even though it was bloody cold.

Ruger 10/22

Looking down range

Ruger MKIII Hunter .22

Parker Hale 7mm Rem Mag - this is my hunting rifle

Swiss K31 7.5x55mm

Breda 12g long recoil semi-auto - the whole barrel slides when you shoot and it sounds like a little artillery cannon

Ruger .44 MAG Carbine semi-auto

SKS

Dan Wesson 15-2 .357MAg with 10"VH barrel

Dec. 31, 2015, 6:45 p.m.

It's better with sound - so here are some videos.

[](http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq314/Zedbra/MIsc/New%20Years%20Eve%20with%20Rossco/Rossco%20Dan%20Wesson%20357_zpsw2mzdhfg.mp4)

Dec. 31, 2015, 6:46 p.m.

Nice job Zed tell Roscco to keep both eye open and don't squint he'll get a high kill shot count :} again nice stuff.

The raw, primitive, unrefined trails that see little to no maintenance are the kinds of trails that really build skill. What kind of skills do you learn riding a trail that was made by a machine, groomed to perfection and void of any rocks, roots or other obstacles that could send you careening over the handlebars?

Dec. 31, 2015, 7:33 p.m.

I must thank you Ian! Best way to end a lovely year. Had s blast, great guy to be around just a blast! Learned a lot also. Thank you so much. Chest hurts a bit but so worth it!

Shoots with Nikon D2H
c

Dec. 31, 2015, 7:39 p.m.

I must thank you Ian! Best way to end a lovely year. Had s blast, great guy to be around just a blast! Learned a lot also. Thank you so much. Chest hurts a bit but so worth it!

No problem - it was a lot of fun, I'm glad you liked it. For a while there I didn't think you were going to give my MKIII back - you were grinning ear to ear shooting that one!

Dec. 31, 2015, 7:47 p.m.

Oh I was def making it a Home in my cold hands. Fantastic built gun feels like a fine tuned watch

Shoots with Nikon D2H
c

Jan. 1, 2016, 12:25 a.m.

Looks like a good time.

Jan. 2, 2016, 6:07 p.m.

I bought my MKIII Hunter at the end of November and it has quickly become one of my favourites. (I can't say it is my favourite because then my Dan Wessons may get a little jelly).

Here is where I am thus far with this pistol - and I don't plan on anything else except lots of shooting:

MKIII Hunter
MKII VQ Accurizing Kit - hammer, sear, trigger, extended mag disconnect, bushing (bye bye mag safety), and spring.
William's Fire Sights rear sights. I may try the William's front sights if I can't stop this Ruger one from coming loose.
Custom grips from 1911grip guy. These are his Slash and Burn grips for the MKIII but I had him make them +0.3 to better fit my large mitts and now they fit perfect.

I still need to adjust the rear sights a bit more, this pistol's sights are different than all my others, but I'm sure I will get the hang of it with a little more trigger time.