Guns

May 8, 2015, 10:44 p.m.

Love to shoot, grew up shooting competitive archery and moved on to long guns. My first was a Remington r700 in 243, now I've got a Remington 870 with 28" barrel, super mag and a savage 17hmr, walnut stock and bull barrel.
You guys have some nice pieces for sure. Anyone here shoot skeet? Is there a place to do that in Vancouver or Richmond?

My friend let me try his 17HMR and it sure is a fun calibre. I don't shoot rodents, so I don't really have a need for one in my safe. How's the 870 been? They seem to get mixed reviews.

I try to get out and shoot trap once per month here locally. I have also gone to the Langley gun Club a few times with my friend, they have both trap and skeet. Their trap machines work on voice operation which is kinda cool, but you can't even say 'nice shot' to your friend otherwise a clay is thrown. Cheap - I think it was $6.50 per round.

Kewl Z!
I'm a wheel gun guy myself and when my mother dies I will inherit my fathers Iver Johnson Supershot Sealed Eight.
Looks like this….

I've only ever seen one for sale online and it was sold literally overnight.

That is a very nice looking revolver. I love my wheel guns, the only semi I have is that Colt .22 in the pic.

I'm gonna' get me a Citori 725 in 20ga with 28" barrels. Invector + choke tubes I think you can get an extended set of skeet chokes.
That way one can use flush mount in Cyl./Imp.Cyl./Mod./Imp.Mod./Full for hunting and the skeet chokes extended a inch or so for busting clays.

I use both my 20g and 12g for trap, but my 20g comes hunting with me for grouse. My friends all use .22s for grouse, but if they miss, I get'm out of the air. The Citori is a very nice choice for a shotgun.

Both my shotguns are old long recoil semi-autos, meaning the whole barrel slides back as part of the recoil/ejection system - minimal recoil felt on your shoulder. New isn't always 'better' if you ask me.

May 8, 2015, 11:02 p.m.

Here are a few of mine that I've owned in the past. I've sold them all as I've gotten out of shooting as the price of ammo has gotten a little too pricey for me. The firearms are the "cheap" part. It's an incredibly fun hobby but if you shoot often it's extremely expensive. I still own a few old hunting rifles but they rarely see any use anymore.

Glock 19

Norinco CQB 10.5" AR15

CZ 858

Fabarm Martial Pro Forces 14"

Ruger 10/22 Full Custom - Probably the best firearm I ever owned.

Remington 700 SPS Tactical .223

May 8, 2015, 11:24 p.m.

whoa , those is some nice guns .

my collection is the opposite , but still fun .

lee-enfield .303 british . . . belonged to my uncle , i always thought it was used in korea , but i found out not .

cooey .22 , that my high school girlfriends' dad gave me . . . bonding thing , i guess . it turned out to be a great pack rat killer . nothing beats late night indoor varmint hunting .

single shot , break action 16 ga

.308 lever action . traded a really nice BSA 30.06 for it . it was a trade down , but i wanted an action that lent itself better to lefties . the BSA was a first place prize at the bisley way back in the day . my buddies grandfather was the winner .

savage bolt action 12 ga with adjustable choke and four round mag . easily the ugliest firearm i ever saw . i wanna chop it down to minimum length to make it into a backcountry defender .

May 8, 2015, 11:36 p.m.

lee-enfield .303 british . . . belonged to my uncle , i always thought it was used in korea , but i found out not .

Skid, treat that Enfield well. As according to this article from last year there are very few who make parts for these rifles.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/national/defence-watch/canadian-ranges-issued-lee-enfield-rifles-in-pristine-condition-but-no-replacements-yet

And for those keeping track…Colt's facility in Kitchener Ontario was given the task of creating a rifle that will work as reliably as the Lee Enfield in harsh conditions.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

May 9, 2015, 12:02 a.m.

Skid, treat that Enfield well. As according to this article from last year there are very few who make parts for these rifles.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/national/defence-watch/canadian-ranges-issued-lee-enfield-rifles-in-pristine-condition-but-no-replacements-yet

And for those keeping track…Colt's facility in Kitchener Ontario was given the task of creating a rifle that will work as reliably as the Lee Enfield in harsh conditions.

I just sold my Enfield….cleaning the collection out a little bit as the house was resembling an armoury….was a great rifle, just didnt need it any more/

I'm not a handgun person, but truly enjoy skeet/trap shooting.

Loud Hubs Save Lives

May 9, 2015, 12:23 a.m.

lee-enfield .303 british . . .

I had a #4 Mk 1* lend lease made by Savage given to me as a 12th b-day present.
These guys - https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Search.htm?s=SMLE - have lots of SMLE parts.
There seems to be a fair # of Irish and Ugandan contract Mk2's made by Fazakerly floating around out there, some still in cosmoline!

.308 lever action

BLR or 99E?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

May 9, 2015, 4:45 a.m.

Here is my current main hunting rifle.

The action is a military Mauser 98 that has been rebarreled to 9.3x62. I bedded and painted the stock myself.

It has been a great rifle and a 286gr Barnes TSX is a very capable bullet but I really wanted to try something new.

I now have a custom Cooper on the way in .416 Remington.

The center rifle was my inspiration but mine will be in stainless and have less fancy AAA grade walnut.

I'm really looking forward to owning a big bore rifle. I've been trying to track down loading components but I'm having a hard time finding brass. I've got some factory ammo but at $96 for 20 rounds of the cheap stuff I want to be loading my own.

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

May 9, 2015, 7:44 a.m.

Nechako - what are you hunting that requires such a large bore?

I have an old 1974 Parker Hale 1200C in 7mm Rem MAG that I use for hunting. The rifle was given to me and though she is an oldie, she has the perfect balance and weight for me.

May 9, 2015, 9:07 a.m.

I got my PAL last summer with the full intention of getting my license before duck hunting started. License arrived in time but I got lazy, didn't buy a shotgun and here we are late Spring 2015.
I want to buy a shotgun but have no idea what I should be looking for. I'd also like to keep it under $1,000. Any recommendations?

Originally Posted by sAFETY
As a vegitarian, I don't eat bacon, as a human being I crave and miss it.

May 9, 2015, 9:54 a.m.

My friend let me try his 17HMR and it sure is a fun calibre. I don't shoot rodents, so I don't really have a need for one in my safe. How's the 870 been? They seem to get mixed reviews.

Its the best shotgun in the world.. Most reliable, most versatile…in my opinion anyway, I could hunt anything in north america with my 870…best selling shotgun in the world, the only type of person who would review one negatively is someone who's an elitist snob/ doesn't like pump action IMHO. You could paddle your canoe with it and still be dropping ducks all day, switch out the barrel and pop some hornady slugs into it and you're dropping deer hundred to two hundred yards out…
I got the 17hmr because back home the 243 was too powerful, although I absolutely loved it. The 17hmr is a fun target rifle on shorter ranges (up to 300 yards) the 243 was like…if you misses a target within 600 yards, it was either moving fast or you just suck lol. Finding a 600+ yd range was just too hard back home unless you go north of Toronto by quite a bit.

May 9, 2015, 10:59 a.m.

I got my PAL last summer with the full intention of getting my license before duck hunting started. License arrived in time but I got lazy, didn't buy a shotgun and here we are late Spring 2015.
I want to buy a shotgun but have no idea what I should be looking for. I'd also like to keep it under $1,000. Any recommendations?

If you're are hunting waterfowl, then you legally need to shoot steel shot. Older shotgun barrels were designed when it was only lead shot, so you need to consider something new.

Opinions on what type of gun to use are just that - opinions. Everyone has their own belief what type is better for each scenario: pump vs over under vs semi-auto. My best advice to you is to see if you can try as many different shotguns as you can - because every one will feel/fit differently to different peoples' face/arm length/shoulder. Find the one that sights easy and sits nicely with your cheek during that sighting.

Personally, I like semi-auto shotguns to help take up the recoil and less bruising on my shoulder after several rounds. For a budget budget semi-auto - look at the Weatherby or SX3. If you want to stretch the budget and have good quality over time, look at a Benelli. I personally prefer recoil semi-autos over gas semi-autos but each has their own benefits. Generally, gas semi-autos will require maintenance with the gas rings/systems.

May 9, 2015, 12:57 p.m.

Nechako - what are you hunting that requires such a large bore?

Nothing that actually requires a .416, I just wanted a true "big bore" rifle.

When hunting I prefer a heavy bullet at moderate speeds. I find that I get less damaged meat but still have great terminal bullet performance.

The .416 is actually a very versatile caliber. Load it down with a 300gr bullet or up with a 400gr. Power and trajectory is very flexible.

9.3x62 286gr TSX, .416 Rem 400gr, .308 Win 165gr, .416 400gr TSX.

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

May 9, 2015, 1:02 p.m.

Impressive. Glad it's your shoulder and not mine. :lol:

May 9, 2015, 1:08 p.m.

Impressive. Glad it's your shoulder and not mine. :lol:

Hahaha, yeah it should be quite a thumper!

When I'm out looking for one of these.

And I find one of these instead.

I'm happy I'm carrying something with a little extra power should I ever need it.

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

May 9, 2015, 1:41 p.m.

Buddy Neil the gun enthusiast told me he met them guys at the range in PeeG all the time who would buy a gun with that there mangleum ammo, thing is it was a problem affording a case of budwieser and enough ammo to do much practise … otoh it was a lot safer for the moose

buddy Neil was into muzzle loaders and that would be flintlocks not those new fangled modern percussion cap rifles