Gunman (men?) in Parliment hill

Oct. 23, 2014, 5:42 p.m.

As at Vancouver's Cenotaph as of this morning Canadian Veterans are guarding Cenotaph's across Canada.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1631598/retired-canadian-veteran-guards-the-vancouver-cenotaph-following-ottawa-shooting/

Saturday at 10am people will be gathering at there nearest Cenotaph.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1514049165504297/?ref_newsfeed_story_type=regular

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Oct. 23, 2014, 6:03 p.m.

Seriously ?? that is what you believe……???

Umm…it's what a lot of people believe.

Oct. 23, 2014, 6:55 p.m.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gram View Post
Seriously ?? that is what you believe……???
Umm…it's what a lot of people believe.

It's been Uncle Sams MO like, forever……………:bandit:

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Oct. 23, 2014, 7:06 p.m.

Don't be ridiculous.

As soon as the US and now Canada cleans up the problem in the middle east we're going to go fix Africa and North Korea for sure.

Oct. 23, 2014, 11:22 p.m.

had to post this. Seriously do they train to do this??? what a joke…
[ATTACH]10083[/ATTACH]

How else would you barricade a door in that room. Do you train to barricade doors?

Oct. 23, 2014, 11:33 p.m.

Michael, the man who killed Nathan yesterday, was a Canadian citizen, born and raised in Montreal. I do not condone his actions. They are devastating and tragic. It is wrong to kill, no matter your reason. My heart and prayers go out to Nathan’s family.
Michael was not on a terrorist list. He was not apart of a terrorist organization. We could not have prevented his actions by rounding up all of the suspected terrorist we have in Canada. He was one of us. Given Michael’s background of petty crimes (possession of marijuana), and the more serious crime of armed robbery, one could choose to speculate on his state of mental health. Why did this Canadian become marginalized to the point where he felt the need to kill?
Instead of looking at why this Canadian got to the point of mental instability, the media, government, military and even the general public are more than happy to throw around the word ‘terrorist’ as though Michael was something outside of ourselves. We need to take a long hard look at our medical system and how it is failing people with mental health issues, while addressing our warring actions in the rest of the world.
My heart and prayers also go out to Michael’s family.

• not my words - but in line with my sentiment. As someone who lives in the DTES and bears witness to its effects every day, the inability, or unwillingness of governments to tackle the epidemic of mental health issues is shameful

I'm ignoring Smedley.

Oct. 24, 2014, 4:30 a.m.

why do so many assume he suffered from mental illness? Sounds to me like he was a drug addict from a broken home with little or no family support or parental guidence.

Oct. 24, 2014, 5:20 a.m.

why do so many assume he suffered from mental illness? Sounds to me like he was a drug addict from a broken home with little or no family support or parental guidence.

Wasnt his Mother on the Canadian Immigration Board? Or is it too late and I'm confused?

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

Oct. 24, 2014, 5:23 a.m.

SO Im pretty sure we can stop blaming this on religion….the system failed this poor broken bastard time and time again until he finally snapped.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/michael-zehaf-bibeau-ottawa-gunman-asked-b-c-judge-to-send-him-to-jail-1.2810683

Pastor of Muppets

Oct. 24, 2014, 7:31 a.m.

But its much easier to be a racist and a bigot and blame it on him -maybe- being Muslim. Right, GTdad?

Oct. 24, 2014, 7:58 a.m.

How do you measure mental illness?

Oct. 24, 2014, 7:59 a.m.

This wouldn't have happened if we'd privatized health care and had open carry laws.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Oct. 24, 2014, 10:17 a.m.
  • not my words - but in line with my sentiment. As someone who lives in the DTES and bears witness to its effects every day, the inability, or unwillingness of governments to tackle the epidemic of mental health issues is shameful

I fully agree with your sentiment - although it's terrorism on a local scale, but where is the evidence this was Jiihad and not just a crazy dude who snapped?? I was disgusted when I got an unsolicted email from Justin Trudeau (how the hell did he get my work email anyway?!?), ripe with the assumptions that this done in the name of Islam. I'll paste the whole email so it's not taken out of context:

I am deeply saddened by yesterday’s horrific events here in Ottawa, and unreservedly condemn these brutal and heartless acts of violence.
This attack is unforgivable. Should any other perpetrators or co-conspirators exist, they must be caught and be punished to the full force of our laws. I’ve extended an offer of full support to the government, along with any assistance members of our Party can provide at this time.

My thoughts and prayers, along with those of my colleagues, go out to the family and friends of the victims of this horrific shooting, including Corporal Nathan Frank Cirillo, who was standing dutifully, guarding one of our nation’s most sacred monuments.

Words cannot express the deep sadness we feel over his loss.

To the brave women and men who rushed to the scene to confront the shooter, and help keep us safe, I can say only thank you. Thank you for your selfless courage and your professionalism in a time of crisis.

In the days that follow, there will be questions, anger, and perhaps confusion. This is natural, but we cannot let it get the better of us. Losing ourselves to fear and speculation is the intention of those who commit these heinous acts.

They mean to shake us. We will remain resolved.

They want us to forget ourselves. Instead, we should remember.

We should remember who we are. We are a proud democracy, a welcoming and peaceful nation, and a country of open arms and open hearts. We are a nation of fairness, justice, and the rule of law.

We will not be intimidated into changing that.

If anything, these are the values and principles to which we must hold on even tighter. Our dedication to democracy and the institutions we have built are the foundation of our society. A continued belief in both will guide us correctly into the future. Staying true to our values in a time of crisis will make us an example to the world.

Criminals cannot and will not dictate to us how we act as a nation, how we govern ourselves, or how we treat each other. They cannot and will not dictate our values. And they do not get to decide how we use our shared public spaces.

Yesterday we heard about a loss of innocence in Canada. This is inaccurate. Canada is not innocent to the threats we face, and we know that we are not immune. What is true is that we have not let those threats shape us, and we have never bowed to those who mean to undermine our values and way of life.

We have remained Canadians. And this should be how we will carry on.
We deserve answers to how and why this happened. They will be vital in preventing any potential future attack.

To our friends and fellow citizens in the Muslim community, Canadians know acts such as these committed in the name of Islam are an aberration of your faith. Continued mutual cooperation and respect will help prevent the influence of distorted ideological propaganda posing as religion. We will walk forward together, not apart.
In the coming days, we will be inundated with pictures and videos showing what happened. But there is one in particular we should remember: the picture in our minds we have of a Canadian guarding Canadians. That is who we truly are. That is who we will continue to be.

Thank you.
Justin Trudeau

Justin, your assumptions this was committed in the name of Islam make me reconsider my next vote.

Oct. 24, 2014, 10:35 a.m.

I was wondering about the guy on the Greyhound. Or the guy shooting at cops (or their cars?) in Slocan

Wonder what religion they were?

Asian/Canadian guy doing something crazy = crazy
Caucasian Canadian guy doing something crazy = crazy (and to hear from his family - horribly misunderstood- which I don't doubt)

Libyan/Canadian guy doing something crazy = Muslim Extremist Terrorist.

Seems it is a lot easier for the government to cry terrorism and buy a bunch more security toys than to deal with addiction and mental illness in any real or serious manner. We leave it to the justice system - a system that has 0 training, 0 facilities and therefore 0 ability to actually make a difference where mental health is concerned.

I spent some time at 222 main - heard the judges giving out "no goes" and abstain from drugs and alcohol conditions. One look at the guy and he's shaking going through the DTs - yah right- he won't last 10 min on the street before he will need to score - he will be breached, probably get caught and brought back in to do it again within a week. Judge knew it, lawyers knew it, cops knew it, accused at that moment and time would have said anything to anyone to get back out to score- most f'd up system created by man in imho.

Drug courts are a start - but probably won't get 0.00000001% of the funding our new Department of Security Theatre will get.

Oct. 24, 2014, 10:46 a.m.

As someone who's had to deal with the effects of addiction, this is an ignorant statement, and is unfortunately the baseline way of thinking for most out there. One thing to consider; no-one, at any point in their life will wake up in the morning and say to themselves, 'I want to be an addict'. There's no glamour or positive outcome to the life of an addict, addiction is a mental disease. It can come from a series of events and bad decisions, and will trap you and enslave you, the only thing an addict cares about is getting the next hit. Petty crime is normal; stealing to get money for the addiction, murder is not normal, it doesn't help the addiction in any way.
Also, if someone is from a broken home and that has driven them to murder, then how is that not mental illness?