Gunman (men?) in Parliment hill

Nov. 5, 2014, 7:12 p.m.

Much respect to her.

Nov. 6, 2014, 8:38 a.m.

It is racist from certain aspects. Islam began as an Arab religion, and although that can't be said of it anymore, its adherents are still overwhelmingly Asian (Arabs, Indo-Paks, South-East Asians, Malays, etc.).

Criticism of Islam largely stems from ignorance of the religion and its tenets (a lot of what people bring up as examples of Islam's problems are actually cultural problems, not problems that originate from the religion itself), which itself stems from Orientalism. Edward Said's books on the topic argue that Orientalism is rooted in racism. And we can see some of what he tried to show in his books demonstrated by some of the horrible and extremely ignorant comments made in this thread.

Just posting cause it's somewhat related to what I mentioned here.

Why I don’t believe people who say they loathe Islam but not Muslims | Andrew Brown, theguardian.com.

Nov. 6, 2014, 8:41 a.m.

Nathan Cirillo's girlfriend speaks out. I wonder if anyone will listen to her.

Got this in my daily broadcast here at work (I work at CAMH) a couple days ago (haven't read it yet, but it's related so I thought I'd share):

The Ottawa Shootings: Sensationalism, terrorism or mental illness?

Nov. 6, 2014, 9:20 a.m.

Why I don’t believe people who say they loathe Islam but not Muslims | Andrew Brown, theguardian.com.

Good article.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Nov. 6, 2014, 9:36 a.m.

Got this in my daily broadcast here at work (I work at CAMH) a couple days ago (haven't read it yet, but it's related so I thought I'd share):

The Ottawa Shootings: Sensationalism, terrorism or mental illness?

It seems these days we are to quick to call others mentally ill when it comes to other people's aftions. I have heard it used by people to describe even the odd ball or outcast of a family.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Nov. 6, 2014, 10 a.m.

"it is psychologically unnatural to claim that you hate an ideology without hating the people in whose lives it is expressed"

He got it all wrong in the first sentence. Some people just are not as smart as they think they are.

As Exmuslims, we critique Islam because there are many aspects of Islam that need to be critiqued. In particular, we seek to oppose Islam's apostasy codes, which are oppressive and lead to persecution.

We have found it is quite difficult to get some people to listen to our stories because they fear that acknowledging these issues will contribute to a critical view towards Islam

Nov. 6, 2014, 11:36 a.m.

It seems these days we are to quick to call others mentally ill when it comes to other people's aftions. I have heard it used by people to describe even the odd ball or outcast of a family.

Only because of some people's attitude towards true "mental illness" as a slur, a judgement, a character flaw or a personal failing instead of a medical condition.

Nov. 6, 2014, 12:10 p.m.

And the term "mental illness" is a very broad term.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Nov. 6, 2014, 12:35 p.m.

No, criticism of Islam comes from the inescapable conclusion that most of what we call terrorism in this world is done in the name of Islam.

Speak for yourself. Most of the terrorist acts in this world are done in the name of capitalism. By several orders of magnitudes.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Nov. 6, 2014, 12:42 p.m.

Speak for yourself. Most of the terrorist acts in this world are done in the name of individual greed. By several orders of magnitudes.

FTFY.

Nov. 6, 2014, 1:23 p.m.

This is for KenN

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/religion

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Nov. 6, 2014, 1:30 p.m.

Speak for yourself. Most of the terrorist acts in this world are done in the name of capitalism. By several orders of magnitudes.

I think it is safe to say that any time I use the word "we" I am not speaking for you Tungsten.