Gunman (men?) in Parliment hill

Oct. 22, 2014, 8:43 a.m.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/shots-fired-on-parliament-hill-soldier-shot-at-national-war-memorial-1.2065443

CNC live blog: http://live.cbc.ca/Event/Ottawa_War_Memorial_shooting

Oct. 22, 2014, 8:46 a.m.

Scary stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrGqoISd-do

Oct. 22, 2014, 9:02 a.m.

oh great, justification for invading our privacy and increasing militarism. Terrists!

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Oct. 22, 2014, 9:11 a.m.

oh great, justification for invading our privacy and increasing militarism. Terrists!

It's sad that that was my first thought as well.

www.natooke.com

Oct. 22, 2014, 9:27 a.m.

What kind of padding and helmet should I use when jumping to conclusions?

Pastor of Muppets

Oct. 22, 2014, 9:55 a.m.

What kind of padding and helmet should I use when jumping to conclusions?

Because it is easy to be a douchebag about shit like this when you aren't being directly effected.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Oct. 22, 2014, 10:03 a.m.

Yeah.. because that is peoples number one concern right now…Jack Ass.

Here is a little perspective right now….bases have increased security. No one has a clue what is going on. Who know's what base could be targeted next…Petawawa, Trenton, Kingston, Esquimalt to name a few. And my wife is in her office at CFB Kingston as we speak as this is going on. Which is a potential target.

So take your conspiracy shit and blow it out your ass.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Oct. 22, 2014, 10:07 a.m.

The soldier standing guard at the unknown solder monument has died. Also other people have been wounded.
Please be respectful.

Oct. 22, 2014, 10:11 a.m.

The soldier standing guard at the unknown solder monument has died. Also other people have been wounded.
Please be respectful.

Reports I have heard is that it was a reservist.

Apologies if I am more harsh then usual.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Oct. 22, 2014, 10:16 a.m.

Because it is easy to be a douchebag about shit like this when you aren't being directly effected.

I fully understand the seriousness of this event,but poking fun at conspiracy theorists can hardly be called douchy.

Shouldn't our military and government installations have heavy security anyways?

Pastor of Muppets

Oct. 22, 2014, 10:18 a.m.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism_in_Canada

List of Domestic terrorist incidents.

Quebec nationalism (and anti-nationalism)[edit]

• 1963-1969 - Front de libération du Québec (FLQ) starts a bombing campaign at the average rate of one every ten days. Targets included English owned businesses, banks, McGill University and the homes of prominent English speakers.
  • 1963 FLQ bombing of Canadian Army Recruiting Centre in Montreal, killing Sgt. Wilfred V. O'Neil.
  • late 1960s - FLQ places a bomb in a window well of the National Defence Headquarters on Lisgar St in Ottawa, Ontario. The explosion killed a cleaning lady.
  • late 1960s - FLQ places a bomb in a mailbox next to the Canadian Tire store on Wellington St in Ottawa, Ontario.
  • February 13, 1969 - FLQ sets off a powerful bomb that rips through the Montreal Stock Exchange causing massive destruction and seriously injuring twenty-seven people.
  • October 5, 1970 - British diplomat James Cross and (on October 10) Quebec Minister of Labour Pierre Laporte are kidnapped by the FLQ in Montreal. (The dead body of Pierre Laporte was discovered in the trunk of a car in Montreal, Quebec on October 17, 1970, and the murderers were arrested on December 26, 1970; Cross was released on December 3, 1970.)
  • May 8, 1984 - Soldier Denis Lortie, a federalist, enters National Assembly with the intent of killing René Lévesque and the deputies of the Parti Québécois. Due to a great amount of chance, he came in too early and killed 0 deputies (but still killed 3 other people and wounded 13). Unarmed employee René Jalbert negociated with Lortie for several hours and convinced him to give up his gun and get arrested. Jalbert got decorated the next week.
  • 2000 - The Brigade d'autodéfense du français bombs a church where an English fundraiser was to be held.
  • 2001 - Quebec - The FLQ/The Brigade d'autodéfense du français firebombs three "Second Cup" locations in Montreal. They were targeted because of the company's use of its incorporated English name "Second Cup". Rhéal Mathieu, a previously convicted FLQ terrorist was convicted for all three bombings. Seven McDonald's restaurants were also firebombed.
  • September 4, 2012 - The night of the Quebec provincial elections, Richard Bain, an anglophone Quebecer attempted to assassinate Parti Québécois leader and Premier elect Pauline Marois at a victory gathering in Montreal. He also set fire to the Metropolis concert hall where the event was being held. A man was killed and another was injured in the terrorist act. It is said that Bain's ultimate goal was to kill Marois following the Parti Québécois victory. Bain, who was arrested shortly after the attack, is currently incarcerated and awaits a bail hearing on the 29th of July.

Islamist[edit]

• 2006 - In the 2006 Ontario terrorism plot, Canadian counter-terrorism forces arrested 18 terrorists (dubbed the "Toronto 18") inspired by al-Qaeda. They were accused of planning to detonate truck bombs, to open fire in a crowded area, and to storm the Canadian Broadcasting Centre, the Canadian Parliament building, the Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) headquarters, and the parliamentary Peace Tower, to take hostages and to behead the Prime Minister and other leaders.
  • 2013 - The head of Canada’s spy service Richard Fadden has told Parliament that the fragmenting of al-Qaeda has made him more “worried” about terrorist attacks in Canada. He warned that Canadians are involved in every al-Qaeda affiliate group and that these groups have mentioned Canada as a possible target.[5][6]
  • 2013 - Chiheb Esseghaier and Raed Jaser of Montreal and Toronto, respectively, charged as part of an alleged Al Qaedaplot to derail a New York to Toronto train on the Canadian side of the border. Alleged plot was not imminent. Canadian Muslims helped to foil the alleged plot. The suspects said they were arrested based on their appearance. [7][8][9]
  • 2014 - Misbahuddin Ahmed of Ottawa, arrested August 2010, convicted July 2014 of knowingly facilitating a terrorist activity and participation in the activities of a terrorist group. [10][11]

Antisemitism[edit]

Anarchist[edit]

Environmental[edit]

• October 2008 to July 2009 - Dawson Creek, British Columbia, Six natural gas pipelines owned by Encana Corp. were bombed after letters were sent to a local newspaper opposing the gas industry.[12]

Other[edit]

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Oct. 22, 2014, 10:19 a.m.

I fully understand the seriousness of this event,but poking fun at conspiracy theorists can hardly be called douchy.

Shouldn't our military and government installations have heavy security anyways?

Sorry…wee bit testy and needed to vent.

Oh…don't get me started.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Oct. 22, 2014, 10:26 a.m.

Reports I have heard is that it was a reservist.

Apologies if I am more harsh then usual.

My comment was not in regards to your post.
Yes he was a reservist from Hamilton Ontario.

Oct. 22, 2014, 10:30 a.m.

To answer Tacklebox's question….

Some military facilities are secure…Camp Wainwright for example. To get on base one had to check in at the gate and provide ID. That was the only way in or out. At least back in 94. Can't recall if Chilliwack was the same CFB Kingston is a much more open base. That was a bit of a shocker in 2007.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Oct. 22, 2014, 10:33 a.m.

I am done with being politically correct.