Guitarists?

May 30, 2014, 10:32 a.m.

I am playing through an original 40W fender blues deluxe, with upgraded speaker and tubes. Chorus, compression, OD/distortion, reverb and delay are all I really need. Yes I have a nice spring reverb in the amp already but the big hall is nice to access on occasion. Can you steer me towards specific make/model for analog content? Mang.

Chorus…I use an EHX small clone sometimes. Dirt cheap and sounds really cool. Not overly flexible but how much flexibility does a chorus need?

Compression…I have a Barber Tone Press, it's ok, perhaps a bit too "transparent" for my needs. If I could do it all over again I'd keep the Keeley Compressor I had years ago. Just a tasty comp with tons of character.

Reverb? Your amp has great spring reverb. I also like plate reverb and my favorite was Dr Scientist Radical Red Reverb (or something). I don't have that anymore. Miss it. Why did I sell it? Probably because in general I prefer spring amp reverb and analog delays.

Delay? My favorite is the EHX Deluxe Memory Man but these days I use what I consider the best bang for the buck analog delay MXR Carbon Copy. Awesome, small foot print, cool tones.

For delay, I also like a digital with tap tempo. Because the digital delay is generally more articulate than analog (even if it has a tone rolloff option) it's just cool to sync it with the rhythm of your riffs or drummer. Boss DD5 is cool but there's also a lot of newer options out there for tap tempo delay.

For distortion, overdrive, fuzz, etc, a lot of that depends on the amp. I'm a fuzzface kind of gal but they don't sound great with blackface amps unless you put an od with mids between them, then it sounds cool.

For overdrive, I really want to get a Honey Bee. I like every sample I've heard and they are used by one of my tone heroes Lee Ranaldo with his Super Reverb.

Wrong. Always.

May 30, 2014, 10:33 a.m.

Oh yeah, if you like trem (I sure do) the basic Boss TR-2 does a great job of it.

Wrong. Always.

May 31, 2014, 8:46 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH8Syz0NvD4

June 9, 2014, 12:41 p.m.

I have not had a Mesa amp in years but something about that Rectoverb 25 is calling me. The cleans, semi-dirties and really dirties sound so good in the clips.

Wrong. Always.

June 11, 2014, 1:28 p.m.

It does appear to be a killer amp. Circuit wise it's the same as the mini rectifier with added reverb (and obviously a combo option, or is it combo only?) but if reverb isn't so much your bag, you could probably get a used mini rectifier with transferable warranty more cheaply

www.vitalmtb.com

June 11, 2014, 4:29 p.m.

It does appear to be a killer amp. Circuit wise it's the same as the mini rectifier with added reverb (and obviously a combo option, or is it combo only?) but if reverb isn't so much your bag, you could probably get a used mini rectifier with transferable warranty more cheaply

Yeah…but reverb, for whatever reason, has given me the wood lately. I need it. And Mesa does reverb as well as Fender IMO.

Wrong. Always.

June 12, 2014, 5:46 a.m.

That bird really likes the guitar..

June 12, 2014, 11:15 a.m.

I too enjoy some verb. I have the mesa TA15 and I put my reverb in front. It works great for anything less than distorted rhythm.

www.vitalmtb.com

June 12, 2014, 3:27 p.m.

I too enjoy some verb. I have the mesa TA15 and I put my reverb in front. It works great for anything less than distorted rhythm.

The TA15 is another cool looking Mesa. They've been hitting it out of the park in the last few years. The Vox settings sound better than a handwired vox I had once IMO.

Anyone here ever order a handwired amp from Ceriatone before? I am thinking about either a Marshall 2061x clone or 1974x clone.

Wrong. Always.