Guaranteed minimum income - liberal party policy

June 1, 2016, 11:23 a.m.

And for the folks that just aren't capable of post-secondary education?

post secondary doesn't have to mean getting a physics degree. i do feel though that the number of people who really aren't capable is limited and that more people are capable but our current education system (and social system) allows too many people to fall through the cracks and flounder. my vision of an education system is one where people get the resources they need for their learning style and the support they need both in and out of the classroom in order to be successful. will it cost more? of course, but i think the overall societal cost would be far less.

as you alluded to though, robotics and AI will change the employment landscape drastically so there is a huge shift coming in the way society operates.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 1, 2016, 11:24 a.m.

And for the folks that just aren't capable of post-secondary education?

Specialized educational institutions that cater to learning disabled individuals to help them achieve their full potential, free of course. This will lead to better career opportunities and an overall better quality of life.

I'm not in favour of cutting out social programs and just handing out cash. People that struggle on a daily basis need guidance, whether is it financial or other. Just giving them cash is a band-aid solution.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

June 1, 2016, 11:33 a.m.

Wooohooo free cash. I am going to ride my bike all day when this kicks in.

June 1, 2016, 11:44 a.m.

I'm not against GMI, but the concept needs to be evolved. I understand many do not have the luck that others do but I'm not interested in subsidizing someone's lack of ambition. There needs to be measures inplace that are able to identify this issue.

Also, I feel that GMI is a poor and temporary solution to a bigger problem of social inequality.

I'd rather provide free education up to post-secondary for everyone including a living allowance that allows students to focus on their studies rather than live a compromised lifestyle in order to scrape through school. I feel an educated population will lessen the burden on social welfare programs because they will be better equipped to tackle life's challenges.

I think the whole point of GMI is that we already subsidize those who lack ambition, as well as people with mental health disorders, disabilities..etc, we just do it through increased shared medical costs, welfare, food stamps, disability…. etc. The reality is that many of the people who would rely on GMI already rely on social programs. GMI just streamlines the process.

I think that GMI, along with hopefully implementing a living minimum wage, is a compelling solution. I say a living minimum wage because right now not having one is basically just corporate welfare. Walmart refuses to pay their full-time employees enough to live independently, so I'm expected to support their full-time workers through social programs? Uh, no.

June 1, 2016, 1 p.m.

I think the whole point of GMI is that we already subsidize those who lack ambition, as well as people with mental health disorders, disabilities..etc, we just do it through increased shared medical costs, welfare, food stamps, disability…. etc. The reality is that many of the people who would rely on GMI already rely on social programs. GMI just streamlines the process.

I think that GMI, along with hopefully implementing a living minimum wage, is a compelling solution. I say a living minimum wage because right now not having one is basically just corporate welfare. Walmart refuses to pay their full-time employees enough to live independently, so I'm expected to support their full-time workers through social programs? Uh, no.

Good point on corporate welfare. Rather than increase the minimum wage drastically, there should be laws in place to reduce corporate practices that rob workers of benefits they should be rightfully earning.

Min. wage should reflect the level of work and expertise required to obtain the job and in no way should it be connected to benefits accrued via full time employment. If you're flipping burgers at McD's, then you should be paid accordingly. If you're flipping burgers at McD's but getting screwed out of hours from your employer, then the employer should be held accountable, not the tax payer.

June 1, 2016, 1:53 p.m.

Personally, I don't like 46% of my paycheques being taken by the Feds

Dude, the highest federal income tax rate is 33%. You need to find an accountant STAT.

June 1, 2016, 2:14 p.m.

UBI is a great idea that could solve a lot of problems, but the biggest issue I think that will throw a giant monkey wrench in the works in the same one that has already cost us jobs. Third world countries that don't give many fucks about their people's well being and make it cheap to run a business. In order for UBI to be feasible we will need to get those tax dollars that fund it from corporations. Theoretically they could afford it since they will be raking in profits as the productivity goes through the stratosphere thanks to their AI workforce. Countries that don't offer UBI or very low amounts can offer low corporate tax rates, the businesses all flock there to set up their robot run factories and we won't have the economic activity to support a decent UBI here. I wonder if this is taken care of in the TPP? :lol:

June 1, 2016, 2:54 p.m.

Dude, the highest federal income tax rate is 33%. You need to find an accountant STAT.

Don't forget to add provincial income tax on top of the fed rates schedule.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

June 1, 2016, 2:57 p.m.

Taxes.

Fed.

15% on the first $45,282 of taxable income, +
20.5% on the next $45,281 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income over $45,282 up to $90,563), +
26% on the next $49,825 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income over $90,563 up to $140,388), +
29% on the next $59,612 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income over $140,388 up to $200,000), +
33% of taxable income over $200,000.

BC

5.06% on the first $38,210 of taxable income, +
7.7% on the next $38,211, +
10.5% on the next $11,320, +
12.29% on the next $18,802, +
14.7% on the amount over $106,543

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/fq/txrts-eng.html

June 1, 2016, 3:08 p.m.

Taxes.

Fed.

15% on the first $45,282 of taxable income, +
20.5% on the next $45,281 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income over $45,282 up to $90,563), +
26% on the next $49,825 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income over $90,563 up to $140,388), +
29% on the next $59,612 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income over $140,388 up to $200,000), +
33% of taxable income over $200,000.

BC

5.06% on the first $38,210 of taxable income, +
7.7% on the next $38,211, +
10.5% on the next $11,320, +
12.29% on the next $18,802, +
14.7% on the amount over $106,543

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/fq/txrts-eng.html

this reminds me, i should get my taxes done. the gvo't owes me money.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 1, 2016, 3:27 p.m.

Don't forget to add provincial income tax on top of the fed rates schedule.

:lol: I know, but Zed claimed the feds took 46% of his paycheck. Don't shoot the messenger.

I am too lazy to do the math, but if Zed's making enough to pay 46% even if we include provincial income taxes it's no wonder he is so well armed.

June 1, 2016, 3:47 p.m.

:lol: I know, but Zed claimed the feds took 46% of his paycheck. Don't shoot the messenger.

I am too lazy to do the math, but if Zed's making enough to pay 46% even if we include provincial income taxes it's no wonder he is so well armed.

…on every dollar over 200K. I struggle to sympathize with people complaining about top marginal rates.

Edit: That said, I'd rather see the government reverse the ridiculous Corporate tax rate cuts that have been occuring for decades (both Liberal and Cons have shit the bed on this front). http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/gabriel-yiu/corporate-tax-cuts_b_8140696.html

June 1, 2016, 4:06 p.m.

There are robots that can replicate chef's recipes are on the market today. Won't take long for the MBA's running McD's,BK,Wendy's,Chilis,Applebees,Keg,Earls,CactusClub etc. etc.. to run the numbers on a few of those machines vs a couple of robot chefs.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2016/05/mcdonalds-ex-ceo-15hr-minimum-wage-will-unleash-the-robot-rebellion/

June 1, 2016, 5:07 p.m.

One might argue that it is because we have the social programs that prop up those who work full time for less than a living wage that the market bears those wages. If people didn't have that crutch to fall back on, they wouldn't be able to afford to take a wage designed for a 16 yr old just entering the workforce, decreasing the supply of people willing to take those jobs, and forcing places like walmart to pay higher wages to find employees through the invisible hand of the free market.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

June 1, 2016, 5:08 p.m.

That said, I'd rather see the government reverse the ridiculous Corporate tax rate cuts that have been occuring for decades (both Liberal and Cons have shit the bed on this front). http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/gabriel-yiu/corporate-tax-cuts_b_8140696.html

but, but, trickle down economics.

Ellen Langer