Guaranteed minimum income - liberal party policy

June 1, 2016, 7:47 a.m.

Want more in life? Work harder.

good luck with that when the robots are coming…

June 1, 2016, 7:55 a.m.

good luck with that when the robots are coming…

When robots fix themselves we'll have bigger problems to worry about than employment.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

June 1, 2016, 8:18 a.m.

The robots I work with mostly know how to break themselves.

stupid fucking robots.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

June 1, 2016, 8:29 a.m.

When robots fix themselves we'll have bigger problems to worry about than employment.

You think truck drivers, taxi drivers, line cooks, short order cooks will be able to pivot into Robot repair?

June 1, 2016, 8:46 a.m.

You think truck drivers, taxi drivers, line cooks, short order cooks will be able to pivot into Robot repair?

maybe they just need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps and work harder, eh? lazy low skilled worker bees……

June 1, 2016, 9:53 a.m.

maybe they just need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps and work harder, eh? lazy low skilled worker bees……

I think Adam was making a joke. But I do think that there is a very good chance of major disruption on unskilled labor in the near term.

I've been to John Deere HQ and had some interesting conversations with them. All of their machines can drive themselves, and when a combine is near full it will call for backup machines to come unload it while it continues to harvest. One single farmer can sit on his porch and control it all via an iPad. Farms are doing this now.

Self Driving cars are here. Full stop. It's only legislation and human adoption holding that back currently. Trucking will be first - no need to have people (who require sleep and food stops) involved. Taxis are short order after that. I suspect that the car industry will be further impacted as people make a logical jump to Car as a Service as opposed to Car ownership.

There are robots that can replicate chef's recipes are on the market today. Won't take long for the MBA's running McD's,BK,Wendy's,Chilis,Applebees,Keg,Earls,CactusClub etc. etc.. to run the numbers on a few of those machines vs a couple of robot chefs.

Next 10 to 20 years have the potential to be incredibly disruptive and destructive to the current workforce. And I don't see where a whole scale shift of that labor would go.

June 1, 2016, 9:58 a.m.

^^ but that's a bit of an aside, and there is a camp that would suggest technology will also solve the potential job disruption.

June 1, 2016, 10:13 a.m.

^^ but that's a bit of an aside, and there is a camp that would suggest technology will also solve the potential job disruption.

it's worth a thread on it's own - i'll let you take the glory

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 1, 2016, 10:18 a.m.

I think Adam was making a joke. But I do think that there is a very good chance of major disruption on unskilled labor in the near term.

I've been to John Deere HQ and had some interesting conversations with them. All of their machines can drive themselves, and when a combine is near full it will call for backup machines to come unload it while it continues to harvest. One single farmer can sit on his porch and control it all via an iPad. Farms are doing this now.

Self Driving cars are here. Full stop. It's only legislation and human adoption holding that back currently. Trucking will be first - no need to have people (who require sleep and food stops) involved. Taxis are short order after that. I suspect that the car industry will be further impacted as people make a logical jump to Car as a Service as opposed to Car ownership.

There are robots that can replicate chef's recipes are on the market today. Won't take long for the MBA's running McD's,BK,Wendy's,Chilis,Applebees,Keg,Earls,CactusClub etc. etc.. to run the numbers on a few of those machines vs a couple of robot chefs.

Next 10 to 20 years have the potential to be incredibly disruptive and destructive to the current workforce. And I don't see where a whole scale shift of that labor would go.

I was also joking….but thanks for the essay

June 1, 2016, 10:21 a.m.

ouch, that's gonna leave a mark.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 1, 2016, 10:52 a.m.

I'm not against GMI, but the concept needs to be evolved. I understand many do not have the luck that others do but I'm not interested in subsidizing someone's lack of ambition. There needs to be measures inplace that are able to identify this issue.

Also, I feel that GMI is a poor and temporary solution to a bigger problem of social inequality.

I'd rather provide free education up to post-secondary for everyone including a living allowance that allows students to focus on their studies rather than live a compromised lifestyle in order to scrape through school. I feel an educated population will lessen the burden on social welfare programs because they will be better equipped to tackle life's challenges.

June 1, 2016, 10:52 a.m.

totally looking forward to a jetson-esque life of leisure while robots do my bidding. food pills and flying cars!

June 1, 2016, 10:59 a.m.

I'd rather provide free education up to post-secondary for everyone including a living allowance that allows students to focus on their studies rather than live a compromised lifestyle in order to scrape through school. I feel an educated population will lessen the burden on social welfare programs because they will be better equipped to tackle life's challenges.

i've been believing in the same idea for a while now - the number one thing we can do is make our education system the number one priority.

Ellen Langer

June 1, 2016, 11:06 a.m.

:lol:

June 1, 2016, 11:07 a.m.

i've been believing in the same idea for a while now - the number one thing we can do is make our education system the number one priority.

And for the folks that just aren't capable of post-secondary education?