Guaranteed minimum income - liberal party policy

June 1, 2016, 5:09 p.m.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/06/01/y-combinator-basic-income-experiment/

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 1, 2016, 5:39 p.m.

Dude, the highest federal income tax rate is 33%. You need to find an accountant STAT.

Dude, you must get paid by the hour. When you are on salary plus commissions and north of six figures, it's a different ball game on the commissions. I paid $60k in federal income tax alone last year.

June 1, 2016, 8:32 p.m.

i've been believing in the same idea for a while now - the number one thing we can do is make our education system the number one priority.

then who will do all the shit jobs?

And for the folks that just aren't capable of post-secondary education?

nevermind…

Feb. 28, 2021, 10:24 p.m.

so after a year under covid and gov't programs somewhat similar to guaranteed income, what are people thinking?

March 1, 2021, 1:16 a.m.

I didn't see a dime from the government.  Never have, and likely never will.

March 1, 2021, 1:21 a.m.

Posted by: switch

So you're not going to collect cpp or oap? Or you're just not planning to live that long? To be honest I thought you were already eligible for both.

March 1, 2021, 4:31 a.m.

Bragging or complaining? Not sure.

March 1, 2021, 4:51 a.m.

This is gonna go sideways in a hurry.

So, current opinions on a guaranteed minimum income?

March 1, 2021, 5:54 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

So you're not going to collect cpp or oap? Or you're just not planning to live that long? To be honest I thought you were already eligible for both.

CPP isn't free money.  It's a pension plan that I've been paying into, so yes I will collect off of when I become eligible.

March 1, 2021, 9:45 a.m.

I think they'll end up having to do something like it going forwards, automation is going to replace a lot of peoples jobs quicker than they probably realize it.  Not even just the desk jobs at insurance places but automated heavy equipment in mines and so on. I fully support these types of programs cause one way or another we'll end up having to pay for it.

Also there seems to be a change in attitude towards work from people my age that I've noticed, where a lot of old timers live to work, most my age are happier to just work to live and the less work required to sustain their lives the better.  Honestly saving up for a better future is kind of an oxymoron when theres no fuckin hope of things changing for the better anyways so why bother.