Great shows to binge watch - social distancing.

March 23, 2020, 3:57 p.m.

Altered Carbon is another decent one on Netflix.

March 24, 2020, 8:18 a.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

Posted by: KenN

Posted by: XXX_er

I started on that  a couple years ago but we never gelled ... maybe I shoudl try it again ?

Same here, but it did have its moments.  

I watched the first episode of Dirty Money on the weekend.  It's about what a total sociopath douchebag slumlord Kushner is.  Worth watching for sure.  Spoiler: he steals people's money by using legal tricks just like his father in law.

Did you watch the epsiode on DJT yet?

I didn't even know there was one but I see it was from the first season.  I will probably know a bit of that one already though.  The Kushner episode was all news to me.

I started watching the series in season 1 because of the trump episode, but yah, the Kushner info was totally new for me.  Seems they're both cut from the same bolt of narcissistic cloth.

March 24, 2020, 8:20 a.m.

Okay, I admit I'm either too stupid or too old to understand AC.  I started watching it, seemed neat at first, but got totally lost and couldn't follow the plot threads.  Lost track of who the hell was doing what and why they were doing it.

March 24, 2020, 8:45 a.m.

Okay, I admit I'm either too stupid or too old to understand AC.  I started watching it, seemed neat at first, but got totally lost and couldn't follow the plot threads.  Lost track of who the hell was doing what and why they were doing it.

They did a bad job on the back story and they can jump around by hundreds of years so I found it confusing too and did a bit of online research.  The 2nd season is a lot less confusing.  Basically the main character is an Asian ass kicker that was trained to work as a paramilitary for the rich people that live forever, then left them joined the resistance, then was put on ice for a few hundred years, then was woken up and put into a white man's body to find a rich man's killer even though the rich man is still alive.   Simple.

March 25, 2020, 3:10 p.m.

They did a bad job on the back story and they can jump around by hundreds of years so I found it confusing too and did a bit of online research.  The 2nd season is a lot less confusing.  Basically the main character is an Asian ass kicker that was trained to work as a paramilitary for the rich people that live forever, then left them joined the resistance, then was put on ice for a few hundred years, then was woken up and put into a white man's body to find a rich man's killer even though the rich man is still alive.   Simple.

I wanted to like Altered carbon season 1. It's shot here in Vancouver and I know peeps who work on it. I thought the story was weak and when it started to get interesting it just kinda went back being weak. 

So I can watch season 2 without finishing season 1? Brand new story line?

March 26, 2020, 1:14 p.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

I wanted to like Altered carbon season 1. It's shot here in Vancouver and I know peeps who work on it. I thought the story was weak and when it started to get interesting it just kinda went back being weak. 

So I can watch season 2 without finishing season 1? Brand new story line?

Ya, I think you can watch it without the rest of S1.  It continues with the Kovacs 30 years later in a new sleeve, but the story is totally different and focuses more on the overall long story.  I found it was way easier to follow and I liked Mackie as Kovacs.

March 26, 2020, 4:50 p.m.

Ok cool thx Chup, will check it out.

Umbrella academy on Netflix has been fun so far. Only a few in but I'm on board.

March 26, 2020, 7:35 p.m.

If you like British comedy, 2 series you might like are Toast of London & The IT Crowd.

March 26, 2020, 8:58 p.m.

Posted by: Stuminator

If you like British comedy, 2 series you might like are Toast of London & The IT Crowd.

Ya cool. Love the Brit comedy...

This series is super good. The cockney/yardie slang can be a bit hard to understand at times but loved this show.

https://youtu.be/VZ2-PpXOsvw

Last edited by: Brocklanders on March 26, 2020, 8:58 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 26, 2020, 10:21 p.m.

Lilyhammer was great.

If you want to go back a bit check out, Dexter and/or The Wire.

Edit: all 3 season of Fargo are great, looking forward to season 4 with Chris Rock!

Last edited by: TonyJ on March 26, 2020, 10:23 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
March 26, 2020, 10:26 p.m.

A crave subscription gives one a goldmine of classic HBO.

I’m gonna revisit 4 of my all time top 5:

The Sopranos

The Leftovers

Deadwood

The Wire

The 5th on the list, which was in no particular order, is Breaking Bad. The wifey and I just rewatched it last month.

March 27, 2020, 8:50 a.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

Ok cool thx Chup, will check it out.

Umbrella academy on Netflix has been fun so far. Only a few in but I'm on board.

The wife and I liked the Umbrella Academy.  It is fun, and different in a good way.

Toast is hilarious.  Clem Fandango cracks me up every time.

March 27, 2020, 9:28 a.m.

On Netflix, Black Mirror. Five seasons exploring the dark side of technology w/something for everyone, plus an interactive movie set in the eighties loaded w/Easter eggs from the 5 seasons. You can even find a road map online to choose the correct path to get a hidden gem at the end for programmers who know their programming history.

Guest star stand outs include Ritchie Cunningham's daughter & surprisingly Achy Breaky Hearts's daughter.

March 27, 2020, 9:43 a.m.

Posted by: TonyJ

Lilyhammer was great.

If you want to go back a bit check out, Dexter and/or The Wire.

Edit: all 3 season of Fargo are great, looking forward to season 4 with Chris Rock!

Part way thru Fargo S3. Not bad, the first 2 seasons were epic.

March 27, 2020, 11:12 a.m.

Posted by: Cabana76

.... order, is Breaking Bad. The wifey and I just rewatched it last month.

If you haven't watched it yet Better Call Saul has the same great storytelling style but  somewhat lighter subject matter.