Gov't proposed 2% property tax

May 5, 2018, 10:21 p.m.

https://twitter.com/jordansturdy/status/992895602676543488?s=21

What’s worse; being a liar or being stupid?

May 5, 2018, 11:17 p.m.

Being a stupid liar?

Of course is that the people of west van voted that twit into office  with 43% of the vote so obviously they were ok with more of the liberal shit show that had been going on for years. 

Until the population as a whole adopts the idea of doing what's in the best interests of everyone as opposed to what seems to be in the best interests of themselves at the time then we will continue to mire ourselves in the muck.

May 20, 2018, 9:24 a.m.

Posted by: AlanB

Posted by: syncro

I don't think you guys actually understand how the speculation tax works:

"The speculation tax will target foreign and domestic speculators in BC. These are homeowners who have removed their units from BC ’s long -term housing stock – meaning they are not owner -occupied or a qualifying long -term rental property. Satellite families - households with high worldwide income that pay little income tax in BC - will also be captured by the tax.

The majority of BC homeowners will be exempt from this tax. Exemptions will be available for:
- Principal residences (excluding satellite families) 
- Qualifying long-term rental properties 
- Certain special cases"

I don't think anyone understands how this tax will work, including the NDP, because details are not provided. The lack of information feeds fears.

Making it up as you go along is not responsible governing.

No one has ever accused the NDP of being responsible, especially when it comes to managing money.

The "Albertan vacation home" is where this tax will fail. The Charter allows all Canadians to take up residence wherever we damn well please. This is a tax on people choosing to do so. 

I've been looking for a vacation property. This just takes BC off the list of jurisdictions.

May 20, 2018, 11:27 a.m.

Posted by: Farmer

The "Albertan vacation home" is where this tax will fail. The Charter allows all Canadians to take up residence wherever we damn well please. This is a tax on people choosing to do so. 

I've been looking for a vacation property. This just takes BC off the list of jurisdictions.

Do your homework on the rules of the new tax first - depending where your vacation property is there's a good chance it won't get captured by the tax.