Gov't proposed 2% property tax

March 25, 2018, 5:01 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Ah yes, the proverbial all or none argument. That one never has any holes in it eh?

You've been here how long?  Why would you wait this long to rub my nose in it?  Go!

March 25, 2018, 6:15 p.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

Through the years I've always held some hope I was wrong and those proffering the status quo were somehow right.

That said, my position has only further crystallized.

You are all Trump.  You being all who have a 'net-worth'.  Next time you disparage him, look in the mirror.

Patriotism only works when those who have something to lose do so for their country.  Otherwise, you're a pathetic shill.

This is such a load of shit I had to quote it for posterity.

March 25, 2018, 6:24 p.m.

Posted by: Ninja

Through the years I've always held some hope I was wrong and those proffering the status quo were somehow right.

That said, my position has only further crystallized.

You are all Trump.  You being all who have a 'net-worth'.  Next time you disparage him, look in the mirror.

Patriotism only works when those who have something to lose do so for their country.  Otherwise, you're a pathetic shill.

This is such a load of shit I had to quote it for posterity.

Yet you’ve never put me in my place.  Why is that?

March 25, 2018, 6:29 p.m.

If you watch any school grounds, you can witness humanity.  It's a little sad the school ground extends to grown men on a fucking mountain biking site.

You are all so scared of dissenting views.

If you are so sure of yourselves, show it.  Use words.  Not bullying.

Imagine I am your child.

March 25, 2018, 6:34 p.m.

Ninja, I just bet a lot of money you will disappear as you always have.  Please don't disappoint.

March 25, 2018, 7:29 p.m.

I apologize for replying in kind. I am no messiah.

If you are struggling with life let me know via pm and I can help.

March 25, 2018, 7:31 p.m.

There is a Drunken Ravings thread. Just sayin'.

Thread killer

March 25, 2018, 7:54 p.m.

Rationality is not welcome there.

March 25, 2018, 8:15 p.m.

Nor here. I can hope though.

A lot of you here exhibit the same behaviour as my teen daughters.

Maybe uncle Dave can bring you to the shore.

March 25, 2018, 9:27 p.m.

Already did. You're trying to justify an all or none position when it's not possible as there are too many variables at play.

You'd also help yourself by not being so cryptic.

March 25, 2018, 9:31 p.m.

Already did. You're trying to justify an all or none position when it's not possible as there are too many variables at play.

You'd also help yourself by not being so cryptic.

I’m not too smart. Please point out where.

March 26, 2018, 9:31 a.m.

If you watch any school grounds, you can witness humanity.  It's a little sad the school ground extends to grown men on a fucking mountain biking site.

You are all so scared of dissenting views.

Imagine I am your child.

I hate to break it to you, but you are as guilty as anyone else.  You have come to the conclusion that democracy is a mirage and that the players are all the same, just sociopaths out to use the system to line their pockets.  This puts us in a straight line to an ugly revolution.  You are not at all open to any other view than this.  Optimism is strictly forbidden. 

The truth is we should all be open to various views because none of us should be so arrogant to believe that we can forecast the future of such a complicated system.  I suspect there are a lot of good people in politics, since believing they are all sociopaths is not a reasonable assumption.  They only make up 3-5% of the population, and we can't ignore that baseline.

March 26, 2018, 2:50 p.m.

Posted by: grambo

Right answer would have been reasonable restrictions on foreign ownership 10-20 years ago, not having stupid government policies that encourage excess leverage (zero downs, 35 year amorts, RRSP loans, first time buyer nonsense). Would also be helpful if the entire life goal of every Canadian wasn't to own their home.

What's so bad about the RRSP first time home buyers plan? You know that they have to pay it back right?

I'm struggling to find the stats right now, but I believe many people do not actually make the repayments and end up with a tax hit (and lost opportunity cost on the investment income over those 15 years). 15 years is also way too long.

Look, I agree that all else equal, owning a home has many benefits and in a balance market most middle class families should own. The problem is the pendulum has swung to an extreme, mainly driven by low interest rates, which has caused Canadians to take on extreme leverage and risk to buy inflated housing. The very definition of risk is having your entire net worth in a single asset class (and really, a single asset)... zero diversification. 

But maybe lower mainland real estate is the first infinite bull run market in the history of humanity?

On the "spec" tax, what about folks from Alberta/Ontario with vacation homes without income tax in BC to offset against? Fuck em because they are from Alberta? Force them to rent and not be able to actually use their property? It's a wealth tax.

March 26, 2018, 3:50 p.m.

Seems there's a bit o' fine tuning going on ...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/speculation-tax-government-update-exemptions-james-1.4593681

March 26, 2018, 4:08 p.m.

I don't think you guys actually understand how the speculation tax works:

"The speculation tax will target foreign and domestic speculators in BC. These are homeowners who have removed their units from BC ’s long -term housing stock – meaning they are not owner -occupied or a qualifying long -term rental property. Satellite families - households with high worldwide income that pay little income tax in BC - will also be captured by the tax.

The majority of BC homeowners will be exempt from this tax. Exemptions will be available for:
- Principal residences (excluding satellite families) 
- Qualifying long-term rental properties 
- Certain special cases"

I don't think anyone understands how this tax will work, including the NDP, because details are not provided. The lack of information feeds fears.

Making it up as you go along is not responsible governing.