Gov't proposed 2% property tax

March 22, 2018, 10:48 a.m.

Posted by: jitenshakun

Posted by: KenN

Must be nice to easily slot people into one box or another.  So nobody in Alberta has ever had a leg up on education or finances from family that maybe a poorer family couldn't afford?  Is the poor family poor because they don't work hard enough?

I know more than a few Albertans that started off poor, didn't have any family money, didn't get an education - yet worked hard their whole lives at a business and did well for themselves and their family.  Same type of people exist in BC and across Canada.

Canada has a boatload of opportunity compared to a lot of the world and I believe that your choices lead you to where you are.   Help at the start helps - just as much as bad advice will hurt someone.

You ignored the question.

Is a poor family poor because they don't work hard enough?

Just because a few poor families in Alberta make out well doesn't mean that the same opportunities are available to all, and it doesn't negate the fact that some start out with advantages that others don't, simply by the lottery system of the family they were born into.  Choice lead to where you are?  So how about a family that does everything "right" saves, keeps debt to a minimum and maintain a healthy diet and exercise regimen - then suddenly one family member gets mowed down by a drunk driver, or they have a child with a rare degenerative disease.  That shit is only partly covered by insurance and health care, but the costs will destroy a struggling family's finances.  Do we tell them they didn't work hard enough?

March 22, 2018, 10:59 a.m.

My view is that when someone in AB makes money another Albertan will say "Huh, must have worked hard and good on them." When someone in BC makes money it seems like they must be a crook or some villain that screwed over the people of BC in some way.

I will agree with the first part because many Albertans like to tell anyone that will listen that they work harder than everyone else and that is why Jesus gave them the tar sands, but we are not against getting rich in BC.  Contrary to popular belief, baby boomer hippies actually love to have money.

March 22, 2018, 11:06 a.m.

Must be nice to easily slot people into one box or another.  So nobody in Alberta has ever had a leg up on education or finances from family that maybe a poorer family couldn't afford?  Is the poor family poor because they don't work hard enough?

I know more than a few Albertans that started off poor, didn't have any family money, didn't get an education - yet worked hard their whole lives at a business and did well for themselves and their family.  Same type of people exist in BC and across Canada.

Canada has a boatload of opportunity compared to a lot of the world and I believe that your choices lead you to where you are.   Help at the start helps - just as much as bad advice will hurt someone.

Of course, there are stories across the country.  Alberta doesn't have a monopoly on hard work.  The tar sands have played a huge role in helping people without degrees to move up the economic ladder because there are so many blue collar jobs and businesses that spin off from the oil industry and they tend to pay well.  If it was just hard work people in Saskatchewan would have the highest per capita income in the country.

March 22, 2018, 11:34 a.m.

It's a wealth tax and a stupid idea and will not "fix" expensive home prices in the lower mainland. BC NDP, like the idiots in Ottawa, have a revenue problem and have found a viable political solution. Similar to JT and Morneau's "doctors are evil rich people" tax plan (but don't look at our trusts!). 

Right answer would have been reasonable restrictions on foreign ownership 10-20 years ago, not having stupid government policies that encourage excess leverage (zero downs, 35 year amorts, RRSP loans, first time buyer nonsense). Would also be helpful if the entire life goal of every Canadian wasn't to own their home.

March 22, 2018, 12:33 p.m.

Posted by: grambo

Right answer would have been reasonable restrictions on foreign ownership 10-20 years ago, not having stupid government policies that encourage excess leverage (zero downs, 35 year amorts, RRSP loans, first time buyer nonsense). Would also be helpful if the entire life goal of every Canadian wasn't to own their home.

What's so bad about the RRSP first time home buyers plan? You know that they have to pay it back right?

March 22, 2018, 1:33 p.m.

It's a wealth tax and a stupid idea and will not "fix" expensive home prices in the lower mainland. BC NDP, like the idiots in Ottawa, have a revenue problem and have found a viable political solution. Similar to JT and Morneau's "doctors are evil rich people" tax plan (but don't look at our trusts!). 

Owning your own home should be a goal for everyone.  it is where most average people build wealth and we all need to live somewhere.  Obviously, we don't want banks to go bankrupt handing out garbage loans, but it was government policies that kept that to a minimum in Canada.

March 22, 2018, 11:06 p.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

My view is that when someone in AB makes money another Albertan will say "Huh, must have worked hard and good on them." When someone in BC makes money it seems like they must be a crook or some villain that screwed over the people of BC in some way.

That's not what I was asking.

Do you believe allowing international monies to use our housing stock as a parking lot for wealth is a detriment to a communities health?

Glad we agree.

I suspect David Eby asked for more but the senior Horgan and James were scared of losing the Albertan vote entirely.

March 23, 2018, 10:36 a.m.

Is a poor family poor because they don't work hard enough?

If a person works 12 hours a day carrying rocks up a hill on their back (super hard work) are they poor because they work hard?  Of course not, they are poor because they are trying to make money carrying rocks on their back.  Is rock carrying the only job they can get?  Is it a job they love?  Is it the only skill they have in life.  I think someone is poor because of the choices they make AND because of all the things that make up the context that they live in.

I also think a person has a better shot at making change by working on all the things they can control (what they have to offer the job market, what market they participate in, etc.) rather than waiting for everything else to get better.

March 23, 2018, 9:46 p.m.

They're poor because we now have trough conveyors, haul trucks and the likes to move more material in a minute than they could move all day.

March 23, 2018, 10:32 p.m.

Bingo! It does nothing to target speculators. Calling it the Speculation Tax is a ruse to cover an asset tax.

Good thing I bought my home 30 years ago 'cause nowadays I wouldn't be able to afford it. So why is Hogan calling me a speculator and taxing my assets? Income tax is fine because there's income to pay it. Property taxes go to local government for local services. Horgan's tax grab sends cash to Victoria. It makes supporting the BC Liberals look like a good option, and I never thought I'd say that!

March 23, 2018, 11:32 p.m.

Posted by: AlanB

Bingo! It does nothing to target speculators. Calling it the Speculation Tax is a ruse to cover an asset tax.

Good thing I bought my home 30 years ago 'cause nowadays I wouldn't be able to afford it. So why is Hogan calling me a speculator and taxing my assets? Income tax is fine because there's income to pay it. Property taxes go to local government for local services. Horgan's tax grab sends cash to Victoria. It makes supporting the BC Liberals look like a good option, and I never thought I'd say that!

The Liberal’s are the chief architects of this absolute disaster we are having to deal with now through willful inaction and looking the other way in all instances.

I suspect the NDP are scared shitless having to deal with this time bomb, whereas the sociopaths in the previous administration just chuckled all the way to the bank with their “political donations” from international property developers.

If they were to deal with this properly, they’d face the wrath of thousands of homeowners who can’t see an inch past their noses.

March 24, 2018, 7:38 p.m.

Posted by: AlanB

I don't think you guys actually understand how the speculation tax works:

"The speculation tax will target foreign and domestic speculators in BC. These are homeowners who have removed their units from BC ’s long -term housing stock – meaning they are not owner -occupied or a qualifying long -term rental property. Satellite families - households with high worldwide income that pay little income tax in BC - will also be captured by the tax.

The majority of BC homeowners will be exempt from this tax. Exemptions will be available for:
- Principal residences (excluding satellite families) 
- Qualifying long-term rental properties 
- Certain special cases"

March 24, 2018, 9:34 p.m.

It's more fun to smash the keyboard and yell at the sky than to have facts.  Usually this sort of behaviour is reserved for "Liberals"...

March 25, 2018, 4:48 p.m.

Through the years I've always held some hope I was wrong and those proffering the status quo were somehow right.

That said, my position has only further crystallized.

You are all Trump.  You being all who have a 'net-worth'.  Next time you disparage him, look in the mirror.

Patriotism only works when those who have something to lose do so for their country.  Otherwise, you're a pathetic shill.

March 25, 2018, 4:51 p.m.

Ah yes, the proverbial all or none argument. That one never has any holes in it eh?