Government Questionnaire on Electoral reform

Dec. 7, 2016, 3:22 p.m.

People trust online banking.

Come on, no one has any interest in hacking something as mundane as a bank. What would be their motivation? Pfffft.

Dec. 7, 2016, 3:35 p.m.

Come on, no one has any interest in hacking something as mundane as a bank. What would be their motivation? Pfffft.

It happens a lot more than we know. The banks don't want us to lose trust in them, so they eat this cost.

BCpov on YouTube

www.instagram.com/BCPov

www.facebook.com/BCpov

Dec. 7, 2016, 3:52 p.m.

It happens a lot more than we know.

:lol: some brilliant circular logic there.

Tell me though out of sheer hilarity, how do you know it happens more than we know, if we don't know that it happens… more than we know? You know?

I'd be totally receptive though if you could provide any evidence of a significant number of accounts with properly configured multi-step verification getting hacked en masse.

Dec. 7, 2016, 4:34 p.m.

Ever had your debt card or credit card skimmed? I have. I didn't hit the news.

It is not in a banks best interest to advertise how often this happens.

No need to be a jerk about it. If I'm being too vague, just say so.

BCpov on YouTube

www.instagram.com/BCPov

www.facebook.com/BCpov

Dec. 7, 2016, 5:22 p.m.

this is NBR bud.. being a jerk about it is how we roll

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Dec. 7, 2016, 5:25 p.m.

Because online banking is the same as copying a credit card.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Dec. 7, 2016, 8:18 p.m.

Citizens have to live in Canada 0% of the time.

If you live Canada for less than 183 days in a tax year, you no longer qualify for most provincial health care plans, Canada child tax benefit or universal child care benefit. Similarly, if you sell or buy property in Canada, hold assets belonging to a business in Canada, own privately-held shares in a Canadian company, or hold options or interest in any of above mentioned, you are treated as a non-resident of Canada.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nnrsdnts/cmmn/dsp/menu-eng.html

Geopolitics?

So we can fuck around with the minds of Brunei, Kazakhstan, Mauritius, Solomon Islands, China, Kiribati, Myanmar, Papua New Guinea, Venezuela, Indonesia, Kuwait, Nepal? I like that.

BTW, my neighbour is Norwegian (spouse is Canadian) and I know one the kids obtained Norwegian citizenship (Norway is supposed to not allow dual citizenship) as an adult but has never gone there other than to visit relatives. Not sure what that's about … I'll have to ask.

Dec. 7, 2016, 9:27 p.m.

BTW, my neighbour is Norwegian (spouse is Canadian) and I know one the kids obtained Norwegian citizenship (Norway is supposed to not allow dual citizenship) as an adult but has never gone there other than to visit relatives. Not sure what that's about … I'll have to ask.

Dutch pretty much admitted the same thing earlier.
My gf was born in Japan. Gave up her Japanese citizenship to become Canadian.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Dec. 8, 2016, 6:52 a.m.

We'd best just make a giant pit in Saskatchewan, gather each and every voter and simultaneously cast coloured stones into it…

summer time only. its hella cold there..

Dec. 8, 2016, 11:19 a.m.

You have to admit, claiming to know that there is more than we know is pretty hilarious… because, how do you know?

Skimming a card is not hacking any more than stealing the cash from your wallet is counterfeiting. I would hazard to guess that few security experts would recommend voting by showing minimal ID in a system run by volunteers either but we do it.

The trick is how do you separate the identification process from the voting process so that your vote remains anonymous. If you wave that right it is pretty easy to detect fraud which is why online banking works. I know the blockchain has been tossed around as an idea and that seems reasonable to me, but if people are doing this on their phone or laptop there is always room for shenanigans.

Perhaps a hybrid solution is the answer in the future. If we could vote over a few weeks at an ATM sort of machine (or an actual ATM) equipped wit biometric ID tech. I am not sure but we should be studying it and testing to see what works.

Dec. 8, 2016, 11:43 a.m.

You have to admit, claiming to know that there is more than we know is pretty hilarious… because, how do you know?

We could always ask Donald Rumsfeld?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiPe1OiKQuk

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Dec. 8, 2016, 2:22 p.m.

The trick is how do you separate the identification process from the voting process so that your vote remains anonymous.

You're thinking too hard. A much better and simpler solution is to make each individual candidate anonymous until the election is over. People running for office make policy and idea submissions and presentations which are anonymized. BTW, that's how they audition classical musicians. Debates and voter interaction will be electronic, and all conversations between candidates and candidates and candidates and voters will be captured and released into the public domain in real time. No monies will be involved, except those from the government budgeted for the election candidate familiarization (no private money). Severe penalties for violation of the laws.

We vote based on releases of policy documents, searchable conversation transcripts and factual data. People vote for ideas and policy platforms, not personalities and hype. Who knows, maybe even a guy with a big beard could win. Or a chick with a salt n' pepper lesbian crewcut. On election night, the Guy Fawkes masks come off, and you get to find out who you voted for. Sample size of 2 says all hot chicks would dig the process.

Dec. 8, 2016, 2:43 p.m.

I've used those shady ATM's in my life once.

The next day I get a call from RBC, "Did you withdraw $20, then $400 at an ATM on Fraser Street?" I replied "No", she replied, "Thank you, we've credited your account with the $420. Have a nice day."

That likely happens non-stop.

Then there are the really big ones that seemingly happen a lot too.

Dec. 8, 2016, 2:57 p.m.

Just need to set up some sort of multi factor authentication.

That's it? Should it be based on lava lamps? Or perhaps we should base it on elliptic curve cryptography.

We manage to do everything from filing taxes to purchasing goods online without significant levels of fraud,

• Citation needed.

securing online elections shouldn't be that difficult in this day and age.

Securing anything is nearly impossible in this day and age.

If I understand it correctly, quantum computing combined with entanglement should give us the ability to know if our message has been intercepted, but I suspect that'll be our high mark. Until then, if you assume you're operating on a secure channel, you're gonna have a bad time.

Dec. 8, 2016, 8:34 p.m.

Won't work. There's always uncertainty in quantum mechanics.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells