Government Questionnaire on Electoral reform

Dec. 5, 2016, 1:07 p.m.

Fill it out, let's fix this first past the post shit.

[www.mydemocracy.ca](http://www.mydemocracy.ca)

BCpov on YouTube

www.instagram.com/BCPov

www.facebook.com/BCpov

Dec. 5, 2016, 1:40 p.m.

Thanks for the link.

your views most align with
Innovators
My democracy is diverse and inclusive

Innovators are generally among the most open to new ideas to improve the way Parliament works. Innovators tend to favour cooperation over competition when it comes to politics and to prefer governments that seek compromise with other parties. They typically support the idea of parties working together and sharing responsibility for decisions.

Innovators are commonly interested in new ways to increase diversity of Parliament. They tend to prefer that Members of Parliament, as a whole, better reflect Canada’s diverse population, which includes having more women and candidates from visible minority groups elected.

Of all the groups, Innovators are most likely to welcome having a greater diversity of ideas and political viewpoints expressed and represented in Parliament. They also tend to believe that voters should have more options or additional ways to express their choices on the ballot during an election.

Innovators are generally quite concerned about voter turnout in Canada. They are the most open to the possibility of online voting as a means to increase electoral participation. Innovators are also the most likely to support the idea of mandatory voting as they tend to see voting as a democratic duty.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Dec. 5, 2016, 1:44 p.m.

Survey is live for 25 days starting today, apparently …

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/12/05/liberals-roll-out-survey-as-innovative-way-to-measure-public-on-voting-reform_n_13427288.html?utm_hp_ref=canada

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Dec. 5, 2016, 2:12 p.m.

I also fall into that Innovator category…used to be for online voting, less sure of it these days as I figure it pretty much opens the system to potential/probable hacking and adds uncertainty to results if you can't prove they're accurate results of actual voting.

Dec. 5, 2016, 7:56 p.m.

No questions on understanding of issues and policies for voting eligibility, how disappointing.

Dec. 5, 2016, 8:01 p.m.

No questions on understanding of issues and policies for voting eligibility, how disappointing.

Good you bring this up. I personally think Permanent Residents should be allowed to vote. My parents are both Dutch citizens who have lived in Canada since the 70's, but have to give up their Dutch citizenship if there were to become Canadian citizens. Same applies to my Japanese wife.

BCpov on YouTube

www.instagram.com/BCPov

www.facebook.com/BCpov

Dec. 5, 2016, 8:10 p.m.

Another Innovator here.

I would love to see being an MP/MLA/City Councillor as more of a public service, and less of a power/prestige thing. Anyone meeting minimum qualifications [no criminal record, post-secondary education or an IQ over 100, 18-70 years old, not in school, exemption for those with kids if needed, etc.] is chosen by lottery to serve, whether they like it or not.

Compensation would be slightly above average for their home municipality, tax-free, full RRSP contributions for the time they're there, retraining if they can't return to their old job/career for whatever reason. 1 term. 1 representative per 100,000 people. All votes by secret ballot. Mandatory attendance. Run the country for 5 years, get a handshake, limited edition coffee mug and a plane ticket home. Not a punishment, but not really a reward either. Lobbying would be pointless, as there would be no way to track who voted for what.

Odds of being selected are about the same as winning the LottoMax jackpot, about 1 in 20 million, and they could do it the same way, with the spinny ball machine on live TV.

Ride: Ibis Mojo HD
Club: CMBA
Talent: None
:beer::canada:

Dec. 5, 2016, 8:21 p.m.

Good you bring this up. I personally think Permanent Residents should be allowed to vote. My parents are both Dutch citizens who have lived in Canada since the 70's, but have to give up their Dutch citizenship if there were to become Canadian citizens. Same applies to my Japanese wife.

Actually not what I meant at all, although I agree that your parents should be able to vote ;)

What I meant is voters should be able to demonstrate a reasonable understanding of policies of party that are running in order to have their vote be eligible. Help ensure that voter education be taken seriously as well as clear and well defined party policy.

Dec. 5, 2016, 8:33 p.m.

I'm very much for online voting. I initially thought making election day a stat holiday was a good idea, but my gf brought up a good point, that it would just be taken as a holiday and people might vote less.

Overall, I thought the questionnaire had too many qualifiers ("Do you prefer __ EVEN THOUGH ___"). I get that people should understand that everything has a trade-off, but asking people for their blue-sky opinions might be a better way of getting at people's preferences.

Also, I found it interesting how they lumped respondents into groups after finishing the survey (I'm an innovator as well). I'd imagine they're trying to get the whole buzzfeed-esque social sharing going, but the categories seem to over-simplify the diversity of views.

Dec. 5, 2016, 11:50 p.m.

This is incorrect. The government of Canada does not prevent anyone from having more than one citizenship (like my brother).

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=356[HTML_REMOVED]top=5
If more than one country recognizes you as a citizen, you have dual citizenship.

You do not apply for dual citizenship and there is no related certificate. Canadians are allowed to take foreign citizenship while keeping their Canadian citizenship.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=359[HTML_REMOVED]top=5
Under Canadian law, a Canadian can be a citizen of another country as well. Some countries, however, will not let you keep their citizenship if you become a Canadian citizen. The consulate or embassy of your other country of citizenship can let you know whether this applies to you.

If your parents were to become Canadian citizens, the decision to revoke their Dutch citizenship will be solely at the discretion of the Netherlands government.

https://www.government.nl/topics/dutch-nationality/contents/dual-nationality

Loss of Dutch nationality

You might automatically lose your Dutch nationality if you acquire another nationality.

Same with your wife. It would be the Japanese government that would take away her Japanese nationality.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_nationality_law#Dual_nationality

It is generally difficult to have dual citizenship of Japan and another country, due to the provisions for loss of Japanese nationality when a Japanese national naturalizes in another country (see "Loss of citizenship" above), and the requirement to renounce one's existing citizenships when naturalizing in Japan (see "Naturalization" above).

Neither of your situations have anything to do with the Government of Canada. The only criteria for citizenship, if not born in Canada are that you

- Are a Permanent Resident (PR)
- Declare that you plan to live in Canada after you become a citizen
- Have lived in Canada as a PR for at least 4 years out of the 6 years (1,460 days) before you apply
- Be physically present in Canada for at least 183 days of each year during the 4-year period
- Apply for citizenship from within Canada

Dec. 6, 2016, 12:12 a.m.

Correct. I have family members that have dual citizenship.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Dec. 6, 2016, 12:18 a.m.

Correct. I have family members that have dual citizenship.

If you don't tell anyone, its not that easy for just anyone to find out that you have multiple passports. Or maybe less these days, given the scrutiny with no-fly lists etc.

Dec. 6, 2016, 4:40 a.m.

I'm a pragmatist. No to online voting (too much opportunity for fraud / hacking). No to proportional representation for all I care. If they want to do anything, ammend the constitution to make the senate elected.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

Dec. 6, 2016, 7:08 p.m.

Another Innovator here.

I would love to see being an MP/MLA/City Councillor as more of a public service, and less of a power/prestige thing. Anyone meeting minimum qualifications [no criminal record, post-secondary education or an IQ over 100, 18-70 years old, not in school, exemption for those with kids if needed, etc.] is chosen by lottery to serve, whether they like it or not.

No, you really really don't want me ever chosen for those positions.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Dec. 6, 2016, 8:37 p.m.

Does the Canadian government not have to inform those countries that don't allow dual citizenship if someone applies for Canadian citizenship?