Gordo's gone!!!

Nov. 3, 2010, 4:41 p.m.

Short memories. There was one of the worst economic calamities in two decades. Tech bubble.

Tech bubble burst was in the spring of 2000, not the 90's.

Nov. 3, 2010, 4:52 p.m.

the higher minimum wage is, the less jobs there are to go around… catch 22. have lots of employed but very poor people, or have a higher standard of living for less people? i pick employ more people - some income is better than no income.

That's one economic theory, but hardly proven.

Another theory is that a higher minimum wage provides workers with more money to spend, which stimulates the economy and in turn stimulates job creation. The basis of the latter theory is that increasing income of the lowest wage earners will more directly affect the economy as they well spend most of their earnings gained. Other stimulus ideas, eg. tax cuts to the wealthy, favour persons who already have excess cash flow and thus most of the extra earnings simply increase their savings/investment portfolio and thus provide minimal benefit to the economy.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Nov. 3, 2010, 5:22 p.m.

Tech bubble burst was in the spring of 2000, not the 90's.

Um it started in 98. LOL

You're right though the peak of the crash was late spring of 2000.

WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH.

Nov. 3, 2010, 5:25 p.m.

BC rail made sense, I have plant on the old BC rail line, CN's performance is much improved.

they would have had do go out and buy/lease alot of rail cars if they wanted to keep that line running.

was yer plant involved in the dirty tricks around CN aquiring BCrail ?

anyone I know who worked at BCR thot CN might know how to run their railroad east to west but they didnt have a clue how to run the BCR north to south , they put too many cars on the trains which caused derailments and they did kill an engineer

Nov. 3, 2010, 5:29 p.m.

I can't say I know exactly how much spin off from the oil sands we get, but ya you are right.

I would say it is a considerable contributor. As Jah, shit I mean Usul, said many people work Alberta and live BC. I am one of them.

I spend lots of money in BC, money I sure as hell would not have if I worked in BC. I invest in Canadian companies, including some BC companies-- bringing money into the BC economy.

Furthermore, the oil sands have many spin off industries that are not necessarily noticed by the average person. The other day I was prepping up a pipe spool fabricated by Ideal Welders based on Annacis Island- likely driven here by a BC truck driver. I'm willing to bet their largest customers are oil sands companies in Alberta. Oil sands jobs based in Vancouver… who would have thunk it.

Nov. 3, 2010, 5:35 p.m.

I would say it is a considerable contributor. As Jah, shit I mean Usul, said many people work Alberta and live BC. I am one of them.

I spend lots of money in BC, money I sure as hell would not have if I worked in BC. I invest in Canadian companies, including some BC companies-- bringing money into the BC economy.

Furthermore, the oil sands have many spin off industries that are not necessarily noticed by the average person. The other day I was prepping up a pipe spool fabricated by Ideal Welders based on Annacis Island- likely driven here by a BC truck driver. I'm willing to bet their largest customers are oil sands companies in Alberta. Oil sands jobs based in Vancouver… who would have thunk it.

Vancouver for sure. Even Parksville and Duncan have companies that I know work on oil sands projects. One engineering firm and one detailing firm.

Nov. 3, 2010, 6:24 p.m.

Sucks that Gordo quit. Now the NDP won't get in next election.

Thread killer

Nov. 3, 2010, 6:42 p.m.

Depends, some of the names that they've been bouncing around as replacements leave a bad taste in my mouth. Who knows though, as long as the NDP doesn't replace Carol James with an electable leader we'll probably be fine ;)

Nov. 3, 2010, 6:46 p.m.

So has the bill for the Olympics been made available yet?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Nov. 3, 2010, 7:01 p.m.

And this is bad, how?

Besides, Canada's national housing market is over valued by 23.9%, the problem isn't confined to BC.

http://www.businessinsider.com/most-overpriced-housing-markets-2010-10#7-canada-6

If you want a deal on housing, go to Toronto. Enjoy the lifestyle…there's a reason BC is expensive.

"Fullness of knowledge always means some understanding of the depths of our ignorance; and that is always conducive to humility and reverence." - Robert Millikan

Nov. 3, 2010, 7:06 p.m.

Enjoy the lifestyle…there's a reason BC is expensive.

yes
yes there is.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Nov. 3, 2010, 7:25 p.m.

And this is bad, how?

$6 million in legal fees for two people who plead guilty to fraud. I bet you guys all voted for Paul Martin and the corrupt federal liberals too. What a fucking joke.

The list is long and not so distinguished. What's a little corruption as long as big business gets their cutbacks eh?

Nov. 3, 2010, 7:41 p.m.

Excuse the rant, I think I one point I was simply typing to myself. heh

That's one economic theory, but hardly proven.

Another theory is that a higher minimum wage provides workers with more money to spend, which stimulates the economy and in turn stimulates job creation…
Kn.

While true, you missed an important step, the rise of inflation/CPI. By raising the the bottom end of a population's purchasing power artificially, the rest of the economy reacts, in time, by raising prices overall. Minimum wage increases can only work (in the long term) if there is maximum price controls in place too. Failing that it is ultimately a short term solution, which reverts back to the original issue in time. Repeat this a few times and you end up with an artificial inflationary pressure which is not cool for low income.

Proposing tax cuts to the rich doesn't make much sense either. Generalizing Rich people are rich and they'll continue to spend regardless but it's the rate that changes based on how the economy is doing. For the most part they tend to be global/international citizens. Which means there is a higher chance that the more money you give them the more goes out of the local economy /Generalizing

The solution to jobs comes with tax breaks on businesses tied to incentives and the development of industry (natural resources, energy, farming and other core industry such as hi-tech, engineering). In essence: higher an extra 10% staff this year and receive x% off the business income tax, or here is x$ credits for green renos and 2x$ credit if using local companies or streamlining approvals for buildings, dams, mines, solar plants, take your pic, to help create jobs for trades and longer term work.

Tax breaks for rich - nope
Minimum wages increases - makes the problem worse/shortsighted
Incentives with conditions and develop faster when possible - yes. but as with most right answers to complex problems, it is harder to do and shows little short term result.

Nov. 3, 2010, 8:14 p.m.

So has the bill for the Olympics been made available yet?

Nonono -- the Olympics broke even, didn't you get the memo? You see…. all those expensive things, they are now assets and worth every bit as much as was paid for them.

Also, BC Ferries (always fun to drag into any conversation) is now an asset as well instead of a money loser. Gordo kindly gave BC Ferry Services (not Inc. anymore)as a private company, a 100 million loan, which is an asset to the BC government, instead of the silly way we used to do business.

Nov. 3, 2010, 8:29 p.m.

The liberals did stimulate development but at what cost? The province is the least affordable it's ever been. Secondary education is more expensive, housing is more expensive. Taxation is hardly better, just different. Income hasn't improved for the better really either.

We're no longer a have not province. I'd call that an improvement.