Gordo's gone!!!

Nov. 3, 2010, 3:42 p.m.

I wonder if Sarah Palin is available? It would be good practice for her for a 2012 run.

I vote YES!!!

WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH.

Nov. 3, 2010, 3:47 p.m.

I'd think oil sands which weren't up and running profitably til this last decade and the olympics were a big part of it. I'd say at least half.

The oil sands being profitable is one thing, but to suggest that the spending for the olympics was a bad thing, because it injected some revenue into the BC economy is a bad thing? It was the Liberals who helped secure the Olympics, they took the flack for the spending, at least give them the credit providing jobs and stimulating the economy during a recession. You can't criticize them on both ends.

The liberals did stimulate development but at what cost? The province is the least affordable it's ever been. Secondary education is more expensive, housing is more expensive. Taxation is hardly better, just different. Income hasn't improved for the better really either.

How exactly do you propose the Government should lower housing costs? Make people not want to live here? Tell people to move away? Last time I checked the Provincial Government wasn't controlling bank lending and interest rates. Oh yeah, development increased the cost of living? Last time I checked, supply and demand doesn't work that way….

I couldn't agree more on the cost of post-secondary education. But, in the next sentence you're criticizing the Libs for their tax policy. So let me get this straight, you expect MASSIVE new spending without increasing taxes? Looking ahead, how should we pay for these programs as well as paying for the massive costs of providing healthcare for our aging population, while keeping taxes low?

The problem with the NDP was that they spent too much money they didn't have, that's why the economy didn't fair as well in the 90's.

Nov. 3, 2010, 3:49 p.m.

I'd think oil sands which weren't up and running profitably til this last decade and the olympics were a big part of it. I'd say at least half.

The liberals did stimulate development but at what cost? The province is the least affordable it's ever been. Secondary education is more expensive, housing is more expensive. Taxation is hardly better, just different. Income hasn't improved for the better really either.

I can't say I know exactly how much spin off from the oil sands we get, but ya you are right. Poverty is at an all time high as well. I was just trying to point out that his Liberals did have an effect on the good economy that we enjoyed, not that we are immune to the ups and downs of the world economy. With the NDP we seemed to be lagging behind.

Nov. 3, 2010, 3:52 p.m.

I wonder if Sarah Palin is available? It would be good practice for her for a 2012 run.

She is busy.

http://www.canada.com/entertainment/Sarah+Palin+reality+show+coming/3369296/story.html

Nov. 3, 2010, 3:52 p.m.

and how much is it going to cost you to cross it in a year?

LOL at the daily users $3 per trip x 2 x 200days a year = $1200 after tax..

Luckily I never go to slurrey. phew.

Nov. 3, 2010, 3:55 p.m.

I think you get to pick a camp, either you get to despise the libs for raising taxes. Or you get to despise them for cutting social programs. You can't complain about both. If I hear one more anti-hst (complaining about cost, not it's implementation which was super shady) person piss and moan about spending cuts, I'm going to f*cking snap.

Money doesn't grow on trees, well…. trees used to be money… then the NDP killed forestry.

Nov. 3, 2010, 3:56 p.m.

I can't say I know exactly how much spin off from the oil sands we get,

I know lots of people who live in BC and work in Alberta. They spend a lot of money here. Albertans were buying up more property on Van Isle than any other demographic until the situation in the US made buying investment property more attractive down there and the money shifted. Lots of engineering companies, steel detailers, etc. working on Alberta projects but based here in BC. All of Canada has benefited.

Nov. 3, 2010, 3:59 p.m.

I think you get to pick a camp, either you get to despise the libs for raising taxes. Or you get to despise them for cutting social programs. You can't complain about both. If I hear one more anti-hst (complaining about cost, not it's implementation which was super shady) person piss and moan about spending cuts, I'm going to f*cking snap.

Money doesn't grow on trees, well…. trees used to be money… then the NDP killed forestry.

You made your point, keep voting for the status quo.

I don't follow your argument at all and you certainly have misinterpreted mine.

I'll be voting for change.

Nov. 3, 2010, 4:06 p.m.

Province General Wage
Alberta $8.80
BC $8.00
Manitoba $9.50
New Brunswick $9.00
Newfoundland $10.00
NWT $9.00
Nova Scotia $9.65
Nunavut $10.00
Ontario $10.25
PEI $9.00
Quebec $9.50
Saskatchewan $9.25
Yukon $8.93

Nov. 3, 2010, 4:07 p.m.

then the NDP killed forestry.

care to elaborate?

Nov. 3, 2010, 4:15 p.m.

You made your point, keep voting for the status quo.

I don't follow your argument at all and you certainly have misinterpreted mine.

I'll be voting for change.

I didn't mean you specifically in this post, just a generalized rant. I'm not a huge Campbell fan by the way, I thought his heavy handed political style served a place in the early 2000's, when tough cuts needed to be made to turn the province's ailing economy around. They should have replaced him a long time ago with someone more moderate.

If there was another party out there with a palatable platform, I would vote differently. Sorry but, "I'm not Gordon Campbell" isn't a platform Carol.

Nov. 3, 2010, 4:19 p.m.

I didn't mean you specifically in this post, just a generalized rant. I'm not a huge Campbell fan by the way, I thought his heavy handed political style served a place in the early 2000's, when tough cuts needed to be made to turn the province's ailing economy around. They should have replaced him a long time ago with someone more moderate.

If there was another party out there with a palatable platform, I would vote differently. Sorry but, "I'm not Gordon Campbell" isn't a platform Carol.

This.

I have been tired of Gordo for years but we can't seem to have a middle ground to vote for in BC.

Nov. 3, 2010, 4:21 p.m.

care to elaborate?

I'm just riffing dude, it felt right at the time. Just go with it ;)

Nov. 3, 2010, 4:22 p.m.

"I'm not Gordon Campbell" isn't a platform Carol.

:lol::lol:

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Nov. 3, 2010, 4:40 p.m.

Province General Wage
Alberta $8.80
BC $8.00
Manitoba $9.50
New Brunswick $9.00
Newfoundland $10.00
NWT $9.00
Nova Scotia $9.65
Nunavut $10.00
Ontario $10.25
PEI $9.00
Quebec $9.50
Saskatchewan $9.25
Yukon $8.93

the higher minimum wage is, the less jobs there are to go around… catch 22. have lots of employed but very poor people, or have a higher standard of living for less people? i pick employ more people - some income is better than no income.