Gord Downie - Fuck Cancer

Aug. 22, 2016, 4:19 p.m.

Bobcaygeon

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Aug. 22, 2016, 4:32 p.m.

i know someone who has been professing their hate for the hip lately and i kinda feel sorry for anyone in that situation who missed out on a rather unique experience on sat night.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Aug. 22, 2016, 5:38 p.m.

Would you say the same thing if the band was nickelback?

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Aug. 22, 2016, 7:30 p.m.

How many American bands have written songs about David Milgaard, Kingston Penitentiary, the Toronto Maple Leafs, Hugh MacLennan, Paul Henderson (Gord's godfather was Harry Sinden - the coach of Team Canada in 1972), Jacques Cartier, the death of Tom Thomson, "no bemused Trudeau/No solitary walks through vacant lots in moon glow", the murder of Pierre Laporte by the FLQ, the Horseshoe Tavern and many, many more?

BTW … The Tragically Who?

CNN

New York Times

Fox News

NBC

BBC

The Guardian

The New Yorker

New York Daily News

Chicago Tribune

Denver Post

Daily Mail

Billboard Magazine

Rolling Stone

etc, etc, etc.

Fantastic. Thank you so much.

Aug. 22, 2016, 7:31 p.m.

Would you say the same thing if the band was nickelback?

hmmm, not sure as i don't think nickelback represents a similar place in the canadian music scene as the hip. either way it's kind of sad when people let their anger carry them away to the point they choose to be overly negative about something that other people care about. if it's not your thing that's fine, but i don't see a need to stand up and profess one's hate about it.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Aug. 22, 2016, 7:37 p.m.

i know someone who has been professing their hate for the hip lately and i kinda feel sorry for anyone in that situation who missed out on a rather unique experience on sat night.

I can understand not being a fan, but I can't understand hate (unless they do not like rock at all).

When Blow at High Dough first came out, it was quite refreshing. Such a chunky and unique sound.

They were and are a band's band.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Aug. 22, 2016, 9:50 p.m.

a bar band made good. and i think they would agree. essentially a talented bar band who ran with it, and a quirky pseudo intellectual singer. huge part of the appeal.

Aug. 22, 2016, 10:21 p.m.

http://www.hipmuseum.com/index.html

Here's a cool link. Annotations etc.

Aug. 22, 2016, 10:38 p.m.

hmmm, not sure as i don't think nickelback represents a similar place in the canadian music scene as the hip. either way it's kind of sad when people let their anger carry them away to the point they choose to be overly negative about something that other people care about. if it's not your thing that's fine, but i don't see a need to stand up and profess one's hate about it.

If someone likes Nickelback, I'm cool with that, even if its not something that appeals to me. To each their own. People need to grow up - this isn't high school any more.

Aug. 23, 2016, 6:05 a.m.

If someone likes Nickelback, I'm cool with that, even if its not something that appeals to me. To each their own. People need to grow up - this isn't high school any more.

So we're cool then.

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

Aug. 23, 2016, 7:23 a.m.

So we're cool then.

Nope. We be the Nerds. Wanna sit at our table?

Aug. 23, 2016, 8:03 a.m.

i dont care for the hip to much, but good music is still good music…

You know you went to far when even Tungsten thinks your a Jack Ass.

Aug. 23, 2016, 8:23 a.m.

I've never considered myself a " hip " fan , never listened to a hip album , never even thought about going to a hip show , but I can still appreciate what the band means to Canada , and the music scene .

There are a couple of songs I particularly like , wheat kings and especially bobcaygeon .

I watched the Kingston show and I gotta admit I was moved to tears a couple of times . Having never seen the band in a live show I didn't know if Gords' stage persona that night was his regular act or if that was one night only . Regardless , when he poured his heart out on a couple of those numbers , you'd have to have a pretty cold soul not to empathize with a guy standing in front of a whole nation offering up a last goodbye . Didn't matter what your musical tastes are , you can only imagine what must have been going through his mind during that show , and I honestly don't even know how he kept it together as well as he did for a four set performance .

Aug. 23, 2016, 9:23 a.m.

a bar band made good. and i think they would agree. essentially a talented bar band who ran with it, and a quirky pseudo intellectual singer. huge part of the appeal.

:lol: Sweet negging. You must get all the insecure girls.

Aug. 24, 2016, 6:53 p.m.

just discovered the hip covers on q. sarah harmer doing morning moon. beautiful song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0fE4tm5VZk