Gord Downie - Fuck Cancer

July 22, 2016, 10:34 a.m.

it looks like i'm going to have an extra ticket for the Hip show on tue july 26th, anybody here interested in buying it?

lower bowl, section 109

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

July 22, 2016, 3:19 p.m.

syncro, if I buy said ticket does this mean I get to sit beside you, can we call it a date?

"only the good riders wipe out on the easy stuff" - Heathen

July 23, 2016, 7:36 p.m.

Last nights show was an amazing experience. Incredible vibe.

July 23, 2016, 9:55 p.m.

[QUOTE=heckler's better 1/2;2922709]syncro, if I buy said ticket does this mean I get to sit beside you, can we call it a date?[/QUOTE]

sure we can call it a date, but that doesn't necessarily mean i'm going to put out at the end of the night

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

July 24, 2016, 5:37 a.m.

sure we can call it a date, but that doesn't necessarily mean i'm going to put out at the end of the night

dont lie.

July 31, 2016, 9:38 p.m.

Heading to the Saddledome show tomo. Nosebleeds but oh well, better than nothing i guess. Have mot been to a big arena show in a long time. Looking forward to it.

Aug. 1, 2016, 11:22 p.m.

I wasn't a huge fan but then I saw them live in Amsterdam and they put on a great show. they had a huge following in the Netherlands and the shows were always a great vibe. me and a buddy ended up following them around different dutch cities and catching their live shows. it was a fun way to see a country.

Was re-reading this thread after tonight's show and this struck me as very cool. As for tonight's show, it was very moving. I had nosebleed seats but it turned out great as i didn't really wanna dance or party. Just wanted to soak it all in and my seats facilitated that. Saddledome sound was good enough up high. Gord stood on stage alone and basked in the adulation of the crowd several times. Seemed to be getting pretty emotional at times, in an appreciative way. A big scar is visible protruding from his hat on the left side of his face. Very energetic performance. You would not know that the man is sick. Gord didn't in any way address or acknowledge his illness or the fact that these are the last shows. It was more of an implied sub text to the evening and this rendered the whole show all the more powerful. Dude is definitely going out on his sword.

Aug. 15, 2016, 8:43 p.m.

been watching a lot of songs from the recent concerts on youtube and they look great. these guys gave it 100% in concert for their whole career, just awesome

this is also a great one, form the days of cigarettes dangling from paul langois, and gord's stoned eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGvsyKyjFrA

Aug. 15, 2016, 9:04 p.m.

looking forward to the final broadcast show on the CBC. i'm hoping he goes for a more subdued and normal get up as compared to the crazy suit and tophat thing. colour me conservative but it just doesn't jive with my TH experience. maybe not the best time to be critical, i know….

Aug. 20, 2016, 12:21 a.m.

well the concert should be good. reminiscing about how the hip used to bring up bands i loved too. Change of Heart were one of my favourite bands. here is a very old clip of them talking about a tour way back when with the hip, and then a great song by them (not really hip related, but might appeal)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qobtJG3iJB4

Aug. 20, 2016, 8:47 p.m.

Sorry about the volume, eh neighbours… That was excellent.

Aug. 20, 2016, 9:20 p.m.

Watched it at Whistler Olympic Park tonight on a beautiful sunny summer evening. It was awesome. Gave money to the Cancer fundraiser. Let's hope for a modern day, man-made miracle for Gord.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/health/new-research-offers-hope-for-glioblastoma-treatment-but-not-yet-a-miracle-cure/article30371125/

Aug. 20, 2016, 9:33 p.m.

honestly was a little worried at the beginning during the fully completely set. but gord killed it afterwards and seemed to get into a groove.

i liked the grouping of the albums, and especially liked they broke protocol and did lock in the trunk of the car at the end as that is my favourite song.

they stuck to the singles aside from the ones off the current album, which is expected…so i can't complain. fiddler's green, locked in the trunk…, nautical disaster, scared, blow at high dough, boot or hearts among others were just amazing. edit: even songs like grace, too and gift shop which i don't like too much, they played so well.

the justin thing was surprising to me, although i know he cares so much about this country. so good on you gord for saying what you want to say.

wasn't sure what my expectations were coming in, but felt it was an amazing show

Aug. 21, 2016, 9:37 a.m.

Over on TGR, xxx-er opined that Canadians took pride in the Hip's failure to really find a fan base in the US. I couldn't agree more. In a world where so many of our artistic and athletic heroes (ex. Neil Young, Wayne Gretzky) bolt for the US at the very first opportunity, it has always been heart warming that the Hip remained staunchly Canadian. They lived in Canada, they sang about Canada, they oozed Canadiana and the fact that our entire country stopped in it's tracks for their final concert while the rest of the world didn't give 2 sh*ts is fantastic.

Aug. 21, 2016, 9:52 a.m.

So are/were they really that good or do we just think so … cuz they are so Canadian?