Gord Downie - Fuck Cancer

May 28, 2016, 5:07 p.m.

A small little piece of my Canada will disappear when Gord leaves us.

Indeed. Serious Canadian Content. My room mate at McGill many, many moons ago knew them when they were just starting out. He'd tell all sorts of interesting tales. "Good dude that Gord" he would tell me.

I really appreciate how the band evolved over the years. Although I stopped following them avidly after Fully Completely, my ears would nonetheless perk up when I heard their tunes on the radio. Their music seemed to get more intellectual as the years went on. The transcended hard rock into something more interesting, more Canadian with each album.

May 28, 2016, 7:56 p.m.

I really appreciate how the band evolved over the years. Although I stopped following them avidly after Fully Completely, my ears would nonetheless perk up when I heard their tunes on the radio. Their music seemed to get more intellectual as the years went on. The transcended hard rock into something more interesting, more Canadian with each album.

That's sorta how I got for awhile…I quietly used to hope the next album would be harder ala pre-Trouble at the Henhouse, but really that would be boring for them and us. Some of my favourite albums turned out to be the more eclectic ones…say like World Container.

May 28, 2016, 9:13 p.m.

loved the band at one point. serious fandom, right into them. hung on every word, every note. when they lost it (in my mind anyway) they lost it big. music@work was a pop abomination from a band that had exhausted their creative juices. which is not to detract from the magic of what they had. every band has their day, every one. some it's merely a few albums, they were much much greater than most.

last of the unplucked gems
nautical disaster. so many. fucking unreal. still gives me goosebumps

Gord you brilliant freak, don't fucking go.

May 28, 2016, 9:23 p.m.

Saw them back in 1992 at the Canada Day concert at UBC. I was really into them at that time, not so much in the later years. Little Bones still gets me going. Downie was a great storyteller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD9fAeul8Uw

thanks for that man, this is incredible. they slow it down and really get into the groove later on eh. his voice back then, unreal.

May 28, 2016, 10:10 p.m.

That's sorta how I got for awhile…I quietly used to hope the next album would be harder ala pre-Trouble at the Henhouse, but really that would be boring for them and us. Some of my favourite albums turned out to be the more eclectic ones…say like World Container.

I feigned disappointment with each progressive step away from hard rock, but in retrospect, i think it made them infinitely more interesting. Did I mention f@ck cancer.

May 28, 2016, 10:23 p.m.

music@work was a pop abomination from a band that had exhausted their creative juices.

i'll stop posting in this thread at some point i swear, but yeah the singles on that album might be not the best, but there are some awesome songs on that album. the bear i love; gord's lyrics are just so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5HZiJItPlc

May 29, 2016, 12:02 a.m.

i'll stop posting in this thread at some point i swear

this is my favourite live version of new orleans, it really builds up nice. 1993, los angeles

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bw93T0mNqQzpMl92V1dKNF94eDQ[HTML_REMOVED]usp=drive_web[HTML_REMOVED]tid=0Bw93T0mNqQzpcG9HRFotZDk5MlE

May 29, 2016, 2:43 a.m.

I think it's a misteak to expect an artiste to pump out the same old shit they did 2 years ago which is how old a song is by the time you hear it but wtf do I know

Listen to what they have created and if you don't like it … mebe you got the problem?

I seen the hip at t-bird stadium 2000ish, a good concert, for me they have always defined what it is to be a Canadian rock band, buddy was walking all over the monitors, Gord Downie's Billy goat like voice there was never any doubt you were listening to the hip

May 29, 2016, 7:31 a.m.

https://www.change.org/p/governor-general-david-johnston-let-s-honour-gord-downie-with-the-order-of-canada

May 29, 2016, 9:38 a.m.

Order of Canada? Are you kidding me. Lets not get carried away. It would be an emberrasment if we gave gord the order of Canada to a rock singer because we all have bleeding hearts now he's fighting cancer.

These sort of knee jerk reactions need to be thought through.

Lyrically gords writing is super cool.

May 31, 2016, 9:17 a.m.

Order of Canada? Are you kidding me. Lets not get carried away. It would be an emberrasment if we gave gord the order of Canada to a rock singer because we all have bleeding hearts now he's fighting cancer.

Past appointees to the order of Canada include notable scumbags Conrad Black, Garth Drebinsky and Alan Eagleson. Gord does not seem so out of line as an appointee in that company. Poets and writers are often appointed, even somewhat obscure ones so Gord doesn't seem so out of line. Not sayin' he should necessarily be appointed, but not so sure about the 'emberrasment' bit.

May 31, 2016, 9:28 a.m.

No to mention the number of hockey players who are in the order of Canada. That's f@cking embarassing.

May 31, 2016, 9:45 a.m.

Well, that's your opinion and I respect it. I guess that I feel differently. Inferring that it is a knee jerk reaction and that one is a bleeding heart if they agree with the nomination, is a bit of a knee jerk reaction in itself, perhaps?. The man is a great Canadian artist and suits the requirements of the Order of Canada rather nicely.

May 31, 2016, 10:09 a.m.

Please sign my petition to have flattire deported.
;)

Wrong. Always.

May 31, 2016, 10:12 a.m.

got tickets for the Vancouver show! cant wait.

http://www.epiccyclist.com/