Gord Downie - Fuck Cancer

May 25, 2016, 7:45 a.m.

My favourite hip video with all Canadian content

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJZhc3HAwpc

May 25, 2016, 8:10 a.m.

Saw them back in 1992 at the Canada Day concert at UBC. I was really into them at that time, not so much in the later years. Little Bones still gets me going. Downie was a great storyteller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD9fAeul8Uw

May 25, 2016, 9:31 a.m.

At 12 in 89 I stumbled across Up To Here in the cd collection of a family that I would babysit for. The father had a massive stereo system in there basement and I fondly recall cranking New Orleans is Sinking loud enough to wake the kids.

Saw them at the 95 Another Roadside Attraction in Markham. Recall them kicking that off with New Orleans.

Hip will be on the earphones all day today at the office.

May 25, 2016, 10:36 a.m.

Tour dates announced including Victoria and Vancouver:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/tragically-hip-tour-dates-1.3598795

May 25, 2016, 12:02 p.m.

^Chances of actually snagging a ticket when they go on sale online? :(

viperfunk.com

May 25, 2016, 12:15 p.m.

^Chances of actually snagging a ticket when they go on sale online? :(

yeah, I'd imagine getting tickets for any of these shows will be the equivalent of winning the lottery

May 25, 2016, 12:19 p.m.

Not gunna stop me from trying.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

May 25, 2016, 6:41 p.m.

At 12 in 89 I stumbled across Up To Here in the cd collection of a family that I would babysit for. The father had a massive stereo system in there basement and I fondly recall cranking New Orleans is Sinking loud enough to wake the kids.

Saw them at the 95 Another Roadside Attraction in Markham. Recall them kicking that off with New Orleans.

Hip will be on the earphones all day today at the office.

I bought that album on cassette just before I drove back to Vancouver after a few years in exile in Tee Zero. Played it at high volume several times a day in the old Fox Wagon. One of my top ten favourite albums. But I have at least a hundred top ten albums.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

May 26, 2016, 7:25 a.m.

Not a huge fan, but Day for Night was one of the first CDs I owned. I think I got it from Columbia House in 1995.

Nautical Disaster, etc.

May 26, 2016, 7:27 a.m.

I've seen them live 5 or 6 times over the years. Always put on a great show and make me feel proud to be Canadian. I'm going to try to make it to one of the Vancouver shows. Huge props to the guy for going out this way. That takes true strength and passion.

Wrong. Always.

May 27, 2016, 11:24 p.m.

F@ck Cancer. Saw them at University of Montreal in the early 90's and also on the Another Roadside Attraction tour. Great band. Great great front man.

…..I saw the constellations
Reveal themselves, one star at time..

The way he sings that line, the lamenting quality in his voice, ah man…….mesmerizing.

Oh yeah, and fuck cancer. I am so sick of that mother f@cking disease.

May 28, 2016, 8:29 a.m.

this guy i know contacted his publicist yday and is trying to get him on the phoenix tears.

May 28, 2016, 9:24 a.m.

been trying track down the songs i had on my (lost/scratched) bootlegs, and found a couple great sites

highway girl/killer whale tank tracks and others
http://captainsdead.com/the-tragically-hips-the-roxy-and-elsewhere.html

lots of great unreleased stuff. like Ouch, Crack my spine like a whip. Good early 90's style.
http://www.hipmuseum.com/unreleased.html

May 28, 2016, 9:41 a.m.

From Dan Mangan (made me get a little teary eyed) :

I've been in total denial about Gord Downie. Pretending I didn't know about it or something - like the terminal cancer mentioned on the news belonged to someone I didn't know… a stranger.

Bowie and Prince this year. It was sad because their offerings were so iconic and deeply imbedded in all music today. I find myself personally much more sad about Gord. Maybe because he's still so young. But also because the Hip are/were OUR band. Canada's band. Like our little internal memo that not many other people understood. Like The Kids In The Hall or Road To Avonlea. It's also weird to even think or write about Gord like it's the past tense, knowing that he's not only living and breathing at this moment but about to give Canada one more ass kicking tour to say goodbye.

As a young kid, Downie taught me that pop music could be poetic. I remember being 9 years old, writing down the lyrics of "Locked In The Trunk Of A Car" on a piece of paper - copying it from the mail order CD booklet, dissecting the words and trying to understand what he could possibly be talking about.

Gord showed me that music on the radio could be entertaining and artful at the same time. It could be thoughtful. That rock stardom need not be about posturing a particular lifestyle image, but about literacy and depth, giving a fuck about interesting things and daring to discuss hard truths in song. That there are more things to write about in this world than just lust or romance (but also that lust and romance are magical enough topics that they deserve to be described with care and abandon).

I owe The Tragically Hip and Gord Downie particularly a great deal of gratitude for their impact on me as a kid… I think of my brother and sister and I, guitars in hand, singing in unison, wondering what the hell the "Paris of the prairies" was.

I've only met Gord once, but he was exactly what I'd hoped - kind, funny, articulate… The kind of person who could be cuttingly witty without making anyone else around him feel uncomfortable or outside of the joke.

Mr. Downie, a lot of people love you. I love you. May you finally find a place to happen - thank you for making stops along the way.

xo
Dan

May 28, 2016, 11:03 a.m.

From Dan Mangan (made me get a little teary eyed) :

I've been in total denial about Gord Downie. Pretending I didn't know about it or something - like the terminal cancer mentioned on the news belonged to someone I didn't know… a stranger.

Bowie and Prince this year. It was sad because their offerings were so iconic and deeply imbedded in all music today. I find myself personally much more sad about Gord. Maybe because he's still so young. But also because the Hip are/were OUR band. Canada's band. Like our little internal memo that not many other people understood. Like The Kids In The Hall or Road To Avonlea. It's also weird to even think or write about Gord like it's the past tense, knowing that he's not only living and breathing at this moment but about to give Canada one more ass kicking tour to say goodbye.

As a young kid, Downie taught me that pop music could be poetic. I remember being 9 years old, writing down the lyrics of "Locked In The Trunk Of A Car" on a piece of paper - copying it from the mail order CD booklet, dissecting the words and trying to understand what he could possibly be talking about.

Gord showed me that music on the radio could be entertaining and artful at the same time. It could be thoughtful. That rock stardom need not be about posturing a particular lifestyle image, but about literacy and depth, giving a fuck about interesting things and daring to discuss hard truths in song. That there are more things to write about in this world than just lust or romance (but also that lust and romance are magical enough topics that they deserve to be described with care and abandon).

I owe The Tragically Hip and Gord Downie particularly a great deal of gratitude for their impact on me as a kid… I think of my brother and sister and I, guitars in hand, singing in unison, wondering what the hell the "Paris of the prairies" was.

I've only met Gord once, but he was exactly what I'd hoped - kind, funny, articulate… The kind of person who could be cuttingly witty without making anyone else around him feel uncomfortable or outside of the joke.

Mr. Downie, a lot of people love you. I love you. May you finally find a place to happen - thank you for making stops along the way.

xo
Dan

Wow that is spot on.

A small little piece of my Canada will disappear when Gord leaves us.

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll