Good Restaurants that Accomodate a Gluten Allergy

Sept. 9, 2013, 11:09 p.m.

NBR has been great with restaurant advice, so I was wondering if you could recommend restaurants that accommodate a gluten allergy. I'm not the one who's allergic, but I do foot the bill so cheaper restaurants are my favorite. I'm not opposed to paying more if the food is good though.

My favorite so far has been Bandidas because almost everything on the menu is gluten free and the price is right. I'm a fan of the atmosphere too. The only problem is that I can't keep taking my girlfriend out for Mexican food.

We've put away a fair amount of sushi between us as well and have a favorite restaurant for that, but it also becomes repetitive.

I've tried Burgoo and they were great at letting us know what was gluten free, but the options were limited and the price to food quality didn't stoke me out. Good food, but priced a smidge on the high side in my opinion.

Since I'm making a list, Red Robins, Montana's Grill, and the Keg were all restaurants that my girlfriend chose to go to that worked for her too.

Anything else to go try?

I'm pretty much open to anything in/between North Van/Van to Mission/Abby. Where can I go and get good gluten free food?

Sept. 9, 2013, 11:19 p.m.

White Spot has gluten free, so does Boston Pizza. Hell, Domino's Pizza even has gluten free crust now.

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

Sept. 9, 2013, 11:41 p.m.

Burdock and Co on Main is nice for a good night out, over half the menu is GF or GF and veg. Local ingredients, cool space. They had a killer GF dessert cake that I liked. a little on the spendy side. like 60-90 with drinks.

There was one place that had polenta fries and miso gravy, GF and f'ing awesome, but I can't remember it. so that doesn't help

or the NAAM in Kits? they seem to be all up in the veg, GF scene.

Sept. 10, 2013, 12:09 a.m.

Here you go dude..
http://www.lemonadebakery.ca/gluten-free-links/

The links page from my sister-inlaw's Gluten free bakery's page.
Also, her place is called Lemonade, high end gluten free baking up on Cambie, not a restaurant but stop in there if you guys want amazing G-free baked goods. Worth a trip.

edit.. Check out the whole website, there's recipes on there too.

Sept. 10, 2013, 9:18 a.m.

Big Feast in Maple Ridge. Unbelievable it's in the Ridge, very awesome.

Zena's Gluten Free Bakery in the Ridge too. Not a restaurant but great bread, cake, cupcakes, etc. They do dairy free too which to me tastes better and is way less sweet.

Sept. 10, 2013, 10:08 a.m.

Milestones has some options on their main menu for GF dinning. I suggest the patio in English Bay.

WTF, Over?

Sept. 10, 2013, 11:07 a.m.

Wallflower on Main was good, great menu for the glutards there

viperfunk.com

Sept. 10, 2013, 7:01 p.m.

Thanks guys, all the restaurants and bakeries listed above are really convenient for me to get to so I will certainly be trying them at some point over the school year. I can't believe I haven't been to Big Feast yet, it's within walking distance from my house.

I'm still unsure on the Naam, the menu has information on dairy and eggs for the vegans, but it looks like I need to ask a server for any other allergen information. Next time I need a huge midnight snack I will do so.

Edit: I couldn't rep onepunch or Testy, sorry guys.

Sept. 10, 2013, 7:11 p.m.

Thanks guys, all the restaurants and bakeries listed above are really convenient for me to get to so I will certainly be trying them at some point over the school year. I can't believe I haven't been to Big Feast yet, it's within walking distance from my house.

I'm still unsure on the Naam, the menu has information on dairy and eggs for the vegans, but it looks like I need to ask a server for any other allergen information. Next time I need a huge midnight snack I will do so.

The miso gravy can be GF if there is no wheat flour used to thicken it, and the miso is certified as GF due to less than 20 ppm of gluten.

Sept. 10, 2013, 7:42 p.m.

All forms of hard alcohol are gluten free. I tried a gluten free beer once, and it tasted a lot like over-carbonated piss.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

Sept. 10, 2013, 7:46 p.m.

I'm not the one who's allergic, but I do foot the bill so cheaper restaurants are my favorite.

tell your gf that you're too cheap to take her to a nice place in consideration of her allergy and presto-chango, no gf!

now you can eat wherever the hell you want!

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 10, 2013, 7:46 p.m.

All forms of hard alcohol are gluten free. I tried a gluten free beer once, and it tasted a lot like over-carbonated piss.

the bigger question here is why do you know what over carbonated piss tastes like?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 10, 2013, 10:54 p.m.

Veggies and dip at Dublin Gate are gluten free

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Sept. 11, 2013, 8:35 a.m.

the bigger question here is why do you know what over carbonated piss tastes like?

Simple, he is American.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Sept. 11, 2013, 6:14 p.m.

Burdock and Co on Main is nice for a good night out, over half the menu is GF or GF and veg. Local ingredients, cool space. They had a killer GF dessert cake that I liked. a little on the spendy side. like 60-90 with drinks.

There was one place that had polenta fries and miso gravy, GF and f'ing awesome, but I can't remember it. so that doesn't help

or the NAAM in Kits? they seem to be all up in the veg, GF scene.

Yes. Andrea is an awesome chef. Also check out Heirloom.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.