Good places to live in BC (chance of becoming NSFW in the future..)

March 12, 2013, 12:24 a.m.

Hey OP, if you are looking for a simple lifestyle, consider renting.

Sure you could buy a place for around 300K, but you could probably rent the same type of place(if not nicer) - detached house, with some land for ~1200/month or less in a smaller town or remote area.

Consider that home ownership comes with ~1500/year property taxes, heat, insurance, electrical fee, which likely adds up to at least around $300 per month. Plus maintenance and repairs.

Invest 300K at 3% (I've seen 3% advertised lately in TFSA accounts; I'm assuming no risk) and you get $750 per month to help cover your rent.

Either scenario sees you out of pocket about $300 to $400 a month, but in the rental scenario, you can move with a months notice, don't have to worry about the roof leaking or pipes bursting, and you have all your savings in a relatively liquid investment (savings account or similar).

The real estate market in Canada and BC is widely believed to be relatively stagnant and overpriced right now.

Just some thoughts off the top of my head. Obviously you know what you're doing having saved up that amount of cash.

March 12, 2013, 6:05 a.m.

Sure you could buy a place for around 300K, but you could probably rent the same type of place(if not nicer) - detached house, with some land for ~1200/month or less in a smaller town or remote area.

Consider that home ownership comes with ~1500/year property taxes, heat, insurance, electrical fee, which likely adds up to at least around $300 per month. Plus maintenance and repairs.

Invest 300K at 3% (I've seen 3% advertised lately in TFSA accounts; I'm assuming no risk) and you get $750 per month to help cover your rent.

Either scenario sees you out of pocket about $300 to $400 a month, but in the rental scenario, you can move with a months notice, don't have to worry about the roof leaking or pipes bursting, and you have all your savings in a relatively liquid investment (savings account or similar).

The real estate market in Canada and BC is widely believed to be relatively stagnant and overpriced right now.

Just some thoughts off the top of my head. Obviously you know what you're doing having saved up that amount of cash.

There's been a disclaimer attached to nearly every one of those claims that says they are referring to Vancouver and Toronto.

Small, resource industry towns don't generally have surplus housing - unless they are single resource towns AND said resource busts. OP wouldn't lose $$ buying a place in the interior at current prices. Besides, I get the impression that this is a long term property - which immediately ceases to be an "investment" and becomes a "purchase".

Good for you FO, sounds fantastic!

March 12, 2013, 6:31 a.m.

I guess you missed his other thread, turns out he's been doing more than chasing tight azn girls around for the last 5 years :lol:

i missed that thread. how much we talking here. ?

March 12, 2013, 7:24 a.m.

i missed that thread. how much we talking here. ?

Although I have banked an impressive amount over the last 4 years when compared to my income level I have to admit most of the money is my wife's.

www.natooke.com

March 12, 2013, 10 a.m.

Yah - good luck finding a rental anywhere around here.

And if you do, the house will be listed for sale requiring you to vacate on a few months notice. Rural properties require upkeep, the pool of potential renters is small, those that do want to rent such properties either (a) want to start "market gardens" or (b) do so for a limited period while doing a short term contract or while looking for a place to buy. They just don't make good rental investment vehicles for Landlords.

March 12, 2013, 10:04 a.m.

There's been a disclaimer attached to nearly every one of those claims that says they are referring to Vancouver and Toronto.

Small, resource industry towns don't generally have surplus housing - unless they are single resource towns AND said resource busts. OP wouldn't lose $$ buying a place in the interior at current prices. Besides, I get the impression that this is a long term property - which immediately ceases to be an "investment" and becomes a "purchase".

Good for you FO, sounds fantastic!

This is a good point - prices in many places have been stagnant for years. For example up here the Hazeltons and Kispiox have had similar prices for the last 10 years. If you pick the right place you may pay more up front but it is likely that at worst you will lose a little. For example, there are only so many waterfront properties in the BC. If you find one you like, there is a good chance others will like it down the road.

March 12, 2013, 10:06 a.m.

Although I have banked an impressive amount over the last 4 years when compared to my income level I have to admit most of our money is my wife's.

Fixed.

March 12, 2013, 10:14 a.m.

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=12472547[HTML_REMOVED]PidKey=-1487700413

I can't stay mad at you guys.

Move to that place - let me live vicariously through you.

Sointula? I think you have to drink a lot of vodka to be accepted. How's the liver F.O.?

March 12, 2013, 10:50 a.m.

Although I have banked an impressive amount over the last 4 years when compared to my income level I have to admit most of the money is my wife's.

When you move back are you planning to be a teacher here or do something else for work?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

March 12, 2013, 11:52 a.m.

If you're serious about local hunting, you will want to be in an area that has good species seasons and isn't LEH only.

LEH (Limited Entry Hunt) tags use a lottery type system and you don't always get a tag for the animal you want to hunt.

For example, where I hunt I can put in for a bull or cow moose LEH tag. If I don't get a LEH tag, I'm limited to hunting calves or immature bulls. I don't like shooting calves (although they do taste the best) and immature bulls can be hard for a new hunter to ID correctly.

You can look at the hunting seasons for the areas you're considering on this page.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/

There is a new hunting license out this year for people that have never hunted before. It allows them to buy a one year hunting license without needing the core course and a hunter number. You do need to be accompanied by a licensed hunter that has the species tags for the animals you intend on hunting.

It is a great way for people that are interested in hunting to give it a try without having to take the core course.

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

March 12, 2013, 12:04 p.m.

When you come back buy a camper van and go explore all the far flung places of the province you might consider living. One of them will stand out, then buy.

March 12, 2013, 12:18 p.m.

Or towards Lillooet.

Or just North of Lillooet.

March 12, 2013, 12:22 p.m.

lissen i just want a dollar number here! my vicarious existence demands details!!!!!!!!!!!

March 12, 2013, 12:59 p.m.

Living out on a piece of land does cost extra $

here in town I can walk everywhere I want, I like my snow blower but I can get by with a snow shovel, I am close to the hill, biking is across the track, main st is 2 blks, i can walk my empties to the liqor store and no worries about getting a DUI ect

whereas living out of town it costs more for gas [HTML_REMOVED] the car or truck to come in bring the kids to functions ect, you may have to pay for snow removal or have a snow blower or a quad with blade or a tractor, water problems are big $, if yer septic field or sewage lagoon shits the bed its BIG $

services like power, water [HTML_REMOVED] poo are the big things you want to be heads up on if you develop raw land

Ironicaly the enviro crowd around here all live out on the land but pay big $ to burn hydro carbons to come in

March 12, 2013, 1:03 p.m.

There's a woman behind many a successful man's fortune. ;)

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.