GMC Canyon VS Toyota Tacoma.

Nov. 2, 2014, 12:47 p.m.

curious - did he actually buy it cash, lease it for 2 years or finance it for 10 years?

Debt!

And really, lets call the recent car loans what they are Mortgages. 9 year auto loans. Thats a "WTF" if theres ever been one.

Hello subprime autoloan melt down of 2016.

Nov. 2, 2014, 1:10 p.m.

curious - did he actually buy it cash, lease it for 2 years or finance it for 10 years?

He owns an excavating company so I think he was able to write it off or some shit.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Nov. 2, 2014, 1:21 p.m.

14-1500 dollar truck payments are super common in most industries. Leasing or otherwise.

Nov. 2, 2014, 1:35 p.m.

It'll be nice to see powertrain updates to the Tundra. Biggest boner killer was the facelift it received while it kept the same guts.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Nov. 3, 2014, 8:05 a.m.

Timely article for this discussion . . .

http://business.financialpost.com/2014/11/01/heres-why-you-want-a-new-car-and-not-a-used-one/

Nov. 3, 2014, 9:11 a.m.

Most guys with your job are still using full size GM's up here,cause they're reliable and comfortable to drive.

I have a Canyon - quad cab - off road package. It was $500 less than the equivalent full sized Sierra (fleet pricing). Also, the older full sized Chevy and GMC trucks had better gas mileage than the old model Canyon / Colorado (mine is a 2011).

Having said that, I had a Colorado before the Canyon, and other than minor little things both have been flawless.

Minor little things have included the odd sensor needing replacement (warranty work), some trim that needed re-gluing (warranty work) and oil changes.

I have driven both trucks to Mt. Cain on the north island many, many times. The access road is a not very well maintained logging road that is (gasp) covered in snow much of the ski season. I have not been easy on either truck.

The whole "Toyota's are more reliable" thing is mostly marketing and market "faith". The reality is that GM and Chev have been reliable all along - they just don't hold their used value as well.

Which leads me to my conclusion - a used GMC Canyon is probably the best deal out there.

I will get a diesel next time around - the gasmileage on my Canyon is pathetic…13 l / 100 km highway using "supercruiser" techniques.

And yes - fits up to 6 AM bikes in the back with the tail-gate up.

Only really sits 5 adults - and that's stuffed in…

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

Nov. 3, 2014, 9:13 a.m.

I see all the GM website has to say about the diesel is "The 2.8L Duramax® Turbo-Diesel joins the engine lineup in 2015."

Not exactly a lot of information to go on.

Nov. 3, 2014, 9:23 a.m.

Timely article for this discussion . . .

http://business.financialpost.com/2014/11/01/heres-why-you-want-a-new-car-and-not-a-used-one/

Reads like an industry written shill piece.

Nov. 3, 2014, 10:32 a.m.

Obviously buddy^^ sells cars [HTML_REMOVED] has vested interest in selling you a new one but I agree with the piece cuz in my own case the lowly Ranger I paid 19K for in 2010 is listing for 16K on a kijiji search which is not much of a depreciation after 4 years

yeah buying used is almost always cheaper BUT it takes more work,and cars are more complicated IME I could do it in Vancover cuz of the mild climate lots of used product, low annual KMs but not when I was putting on KMs and had to depend on my wheels .

That "its a toyota and will run forever" mantra is just BS IME, get rid of it to some one who believes that shit B4 they hit 300K

Nov. 3, 2014, 10:53 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZeFDe44Ddo

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Nov. 3, 2014, 11:53 a.m.

this might be handy: http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/by-the-numbers-2015-chevy-colorado-vs-tacoma-frontier-1639032173

Nov. 3, 2014, 12:22 p.m.

I don't get how anyone buys a truck in the next year, unless they're an early adopter.

All new diesel in Dodge 1500
Nissan Titan about to have a new diesel
Toyota Tundra to follow the Titan with the same diesel
Canyon with a new diesel
Ford going aluminium, paired to the ecoboost
Chev?
Tacoma?

With so many firsts and so much catch up going on I'm going to wait a few years for the trucks to prove themselves, then another few years so there's a decent used market to buy from.

Nov. 3, 2014, 1:31 p.m.

^Yeah I'm holding off on buying a new truck for at least two years hopefully. There is so much coming down the pipe, the competitor catch-up, and all the first year problems that will arise.

I'll likely end up with a Chev/GMC though, as I strongly dislike Dodge, after owning a Nissan Im done with them! Toyota will be similar to Nissan where I have to go into Van and sit around a dealership waiting all day. Could possibly go Ford

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Nov. 3, 2014, 3:15 p.m.

this might be handy: http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/by-the-numbers-2015-chevy-colorado-vs-tacoma-frontier-1639032173

Get the Ranger.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Nov. 3, 2014, 3:16 p.m.

What is the sudden attraction to diesel in a small truck? Remember the diesel Rangers from the 80s? - never was there a worse piece of crap built and called a truck.

I have a 3/4 ton duramax and I am constantly thinking about trading it in for a gas v8. Don't get me wrong- I love that truck. it does everything I want a truck to do and more and has the very best available option - it's paid for. But:
a) diesel is more expensive almost everywhere these days;
b) maintenance is more;
c) the fuel economy when not towing or on the highway is crap;
d) it SUCKs back the fuel when driving around town;
e) mine is an extremely low mileage very well maintained '06 - but if anything engine goes it will be huge $.
f) if you live in cooler climes - it doesn't really warm up until you put a load on it or at least drive for a bit which kind of sucks for commuting (see also (d)).

I recently went shopping - tried the Tundra, GMC 1500 5.3, Ford 150 - 5 litre. If their computers can be trusted - they all killed my truck in mileage on everything but towing my 20ft travel trailer (I have friends in low places who lent me each truck for the weekend - this is the only way to test drive a truck.). Actually the Tundra with the 5.7 was a pig on fuel as well - I think they want 3/4 ton numbers with a half ton though - so they may have overbuilt in a lot of areas that probably don't need it in a half ton- so I would like to try the 4. something they have.

I bought the diesel when a) I didn't have kids - so didn't have to commute with a vehicle b) had a camper and pulled a boat; and c) the price of diesel was equivalent or less than gas. If you are not in that boat - really, really consider if you want a diesel.