Getting older?

March 28, 2011, 10:08 a.m.

But, for the first time, I feel some age…

I was playing with my 3 year old nephew yesterday, whose latest trick is to somersault. He then wanted me to do it too. OK, it's on a hardwood floor but I do yoga without much padding so how would it be any different? So, as I go over and drive my upper thoracic vertebrae into the ground, I realize that this wasn't such a good idea. I can't remember the last time I did a somersault but I sure don't remember it hurting my spine. My back is still tender today. I was later informed by my friend that children's bones are made of Nerf (ha!) and just because he could do somersaults on the hard floor didn't mean that I could!!

This brings back memories for me.
When my 2 boys were aged 2 and 3. I was trying to teach them how to do handstands. Well 1st (and only) time I try I over rotated, came slamming into the ground with my back, (which is how most of my handstands ended up before), but this time, it felt like I got hit by a truck. From then on it was do as I say, not as I do.

I have to admit to being fairly abusive to my body over the years. In my early twenties, lots of snowboarding, wrecked 1 knee, 30% of the miniscus had to be cut out. Few months later, hernia (lifting 200 lb transmissions by hand), fast forward to early 30's, after years of motocross (crashing), and mountain biking (crashing) and being a mechanic, my back gives out, another surgery. During that same time, the other knee gives out, completely destroyed the miniscus, 70% had to be removed. I am still fit, but have the joints of an 80 year old. Still havent smartened up any though. When I die, there will be nothing left on this body that will be of any use.

Eric

March 28, 2011, 10:22 a.m.

There is some great quote about living life to the fullest…something along the lines of skidding across the finish line with a well used body and a glass of champagne in hand.

March 28, 2011, 10:28 a.m.

umm, that's been happening to me for the past 5 years now…..what are you trying to say? :P

I always thought your name had something to do with fluid riding. But now I know you named yourself after what your knees are full of.

:lol:

March 28, 2011, 10:53 a.m.

There is some great quote about living life to the fullest…something along the lines of skidding across the finish line with a well used body and a glass of champagne in hand.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave
with the intention of arriving safely
in an attractive and well preserved body,
But rather to skid in sideways,
chocolate in one hand,
wine in the other,
body thoroughly used up,
totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO what a ride!"

^^^ This - Is pretty much the mantra I live by. (though I don't eat chocolate and it would be a beer ;) )

www.essentialcycles.com | www.essentialcycles.shop 

Service, Sales & Repair Shop, Mountain Bike Rentals, Coaching & Guiding

March 28, 2011, 12:19 p.m.

have you gone blind or mad? your arguing against the opposite of what i've said. i have not said i eat shitty diet but it's ok b/c i exercise a lot - read the bold part to catch on to what i actually said.

Failure to project my thots well in the written medium ,it was not my intention to accuse you of having a bad diet

In any case the thread title is "getting old" and what I mean to say is while it IS possble to control weight with diet the older people get the more they fail at controling weight cuz i see lots of old overweight people so IMO it is tougher to control weight in old age with diet

For whatever reason be it slowing down/less time /less interest/slower metabolism/resignation to all of those reasons I see WAY more overweight old people than fit old people

THEREFORE ,anyone (not you specificaly) who thinks they can stick with the rockstar lifetyle into old age with no problems … good luck with that

March 28, 2011, 12:38 p.m.

I am not really old, but I start to think that a well-planned log is necessary to improve overall - and one thing that is definitely more important is trying to find a balance between recovery (active, not wasting my carcass in front of the tv) and work.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

March 28, 2011, 12:48 p.m.

I know a couple of marathoners in PeeG ,one told me his times quit improving and he started to get slower at age 51 he didnt seem to mind

the other was well in his 60's ,running is his life at the time ,had the drive had the ambition but his times just keep getting slower and he did mind BUT … at some point you just start going slower period

March 28, 2011, 9:07 p.m.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave
with the intention of arriving safely
in an attractive and well preserved body,
But rather to skid in sideways,
chocolate in one hand,
wine in the other,
body thoroughly used up,
totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO what a ride!"

^^^ This - Is pretty much the mantra I live by. (though I don't eat chocolate and it would be a beer ;) )

Awesome goal. Just don't spill any wine!

My goal is perfect timing, where the worn out parts are just beginning to rust.

Unfortunately the wear is accelerating. Rapidly!