Getting older?

March 26, 2011, 12:55 p.m.

slowing down as we age really is a frame of mind. sure we can't compete at as high a level in your 40's, 50's and beyond when compared to your 20's, but there's no reasons to grow roots into the couch either. just do these three things and you'll be fine

1. find the time to do some daily exercise, even two 12-15 minute workouts per day will pay huge dividends and carry you thru the week to where you have more time on the weekends to do more.

2. make eating healthy the majority of the time a priority.

3. get rid of all the bullshit excuses that are holding you back and expect more out of yourself.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

March 26, 2011, 1:03 p.m.

1. find the time to do some daily exercise, even two 12-15 minute workouts per day will pay huge dividends and carry you thru the week to where you have more time on the weekends to do more.

2. make eating healthy the majority of the time a priority.

3. get rid of all the bullshit excuses that are holding you back and expect more out of yourself.

I did this (particularly the last two, the exercise sessions are a little more intense,) at 26 and it makes a big difference at any time.

Check my stuff for sale!

March 26, 2011, 1:07 p.m.

I did this (particularly the last two, the exercise sessions are a little more intense,) at 26 and it makes a big difference at any time.

oh for sure the harder you work the better your results will be; i'm just saying that even a relatively small time investment paired with the right exercise intensity will pay significant rewards when it comes to keeping the waistline in check.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

March 26, 2011, 2:56 p.m.

I worded it weird, I am agreeing with you too.

Let's hug it out.

:S

Check my stuff for sale!

March 26, 2011, 5:57 p.m.

yeah - but that's adding muscle mass when you're young and losing fat when you're old.

at any age it's good to strength train to add muscle mass, doesn't matter if you're 18 or 80.

exactly ,so did that muscle turn to fat or what ?

I would put my money on faiure to regulate food intake cuz it is WAY easier to regulate weight with food intake than it is trying to burn what you should not have eaten in the 1st place …the hard part is wrapping your mind around the idea

March 26, 2011, 6:13 p.m.

If a male did not exercise, and stayed the same weight, his composition would change as he aged. He would loose muscle mass, some bone mass, and gain fat. Lower hormone production influences this too.
If you can/will exercise you can slow that process down, and diet is hella important in all that too.

WTF, Over?

March 26, 2011, 6:14 p.m.

I would put my money on faiure to regulate food intake cuz it is WAY easier to regulate weight with food intake than it is trying to burn what you should not have eaten in the 1st place …the hard part is wrapping your mind around the idea

muscle doesn't turn to fat - that's a great myth of the unwashed masses.

when you gain muscle mass you're increasing the size of the muscle cells. if you stop working out, the muscles cells atrophy, or shrink in size.

fat cells however can not only increase in size, but they can multiply. so yes, the smartest thing to do is eat right and avoid gaining fat in the first place.

one thing that's good to know however, is that with the right training schedule you can eat crap and still burn off excess body fat - but most people are unwilling to deal with that type of training, especially the ones who are walking their bikes up fromme :P

Ellen Langer

March 26, 2011, 10:50 p.m.

one thing that's good to know however, is that with the right training schedule you can eat crap and still burn off excess body fat - but most people are unwilling to deal with that type of training, especially the ones who are walking their bikes up fromme :P

never s truer word spoken, well apart from the pushing bikes bit.

Pushing a bike up Fromme is still a form of exercise and is probably a damn site more than 90 % of the average Canadian population gets (Statistic Ref - pulled outa my arse).

Anyway screw the fat cells, it's the number of bloody reading glasses I now have strewn around the house, car, work, etc. that really pisses me off.

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

March 26, 2011, 10:53 p.m.

never s truer word spoken, well apart from the pushing bikes bit.

Pushing a bike up Fromme is still a form of exercise and is probably a damn site more than 90 % of the average Canadian population gets (Statistic Ref - pulled outa my arse).

Anyway screw the fat cells, it's the number of bloody reading glasses I now have strewn around the house, car, work, etc. that really pisses me off.

haha - yeah i said the walk up thing in jest and it is definitely better than doing no exercise at all.

Ellen Langer

March 26, 2011, 10:57 p.m.

my last eye exam started off with the "you know you're now at that age where you're going to start seeing issues with reading…." conversation

I told him to stick his "you're at that age" lecture in an uncomfortable place.

Loud Hubs Save Lives

March 26, 2011, 10:58 p.m.

muscle doesn't turn to fat - that's a great myth of the unwashed masses.

when you gain muscle mass you're increasing the size of the muscle cells. if you stop working out, the muscles cells atrophy, or shrink in size.

fat cells however can not only increase in size, but they can multiply. so yes, the smartest thing to do is eat right and avoid gaining fat in the first place.

yeah I know muscle doesnt turn to fat so its the "or what?" which IMO is keeping ahead of an improper diet with exercise ,I wish you good luck cuz I see a lot of people who fail with that strategy

March 26, 2011, 11:44 p.m.

yeah I know muscle doesnt turn to fat so its the "or what?" which IMO is keeping ahead of an improper diet with exercise ,I wish you good luck cuz I see a lot of people who fail with that strategy

well you did ask if muscle turns to fat:

also, using exercise is to overcome a poor diet is not something i advocate, i was simply stating that it is possible with a lot of effort. at the very least a regular exercise routine allows you to have more freedom with your diet than someone who does no exercise at all. i see having a bit more freedom with your diet as a nice side benefit of a regular exercise routine.

i'm really not sure what you're stating or asking tho with this post, it's a bit confusing. would you care to clarify?

Ellen Langer

March 27, 2011, 6:38 a.m.

I KNOW muscle doesnt turn to fat, I JUST thru that out there … there is a lot of bulshit thrown around here

while it is possible to burn off bad eating habits there are a lot of people who can't do it especialy old people who start to slow down … they just get fat

but mayebe you will beat the trend

March 27, 2011, 9:37 a.m.

Never too late, never too old. I am 45 now.

I have dropped about 30-40 lbs in the last 2 years all fat. It is not about the weight. My body shape has changed so much in the lat year. I dropped down to 160-170 range. In the last 6 months I have gained 10-15lbs of muscle. My clothes just hang from me so at 185 i am leaner now then i was in my late 20's. I am a freak of flex-ability. I was surprised to realize i can still execute a near flawless break fall, 10 years of martial arts i guess it is instinct now.

Life is like riding a bicycle – in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.

A. Einstein

March 27, 2011, 10:45 p.m.

while it is possible to burn off bad eating habits there are a lot of people who can't do it especialy old people who start to slow down … they just get fat

but mayebe you will beat the trend

have you gone blind or mad? your arguing against the opposite of what i've said. i have not said i eat shitty diet but it's ok b/c i exercise a lot - read the bold part to catch on to what i actually said.

also, using exercise is to overcome a poor diet is not something i advocate…a regular exercise routine allows you to have more freedom with your diet than someone who does no exercise at all.

Ellen Langer