Gender Neutral Canadian Anthem

June 16, 2016, 7:30 p.m.

Let's make a country where we are so secure of ourselves where we can change the fucking thing every other weekend.

When other countries ask, "WTF" we can be all, "Have you ever fucking been here? We have mountains and lakes and drinking water and fields of wheat.. all you cunts can kill each other and we just need to defend our borders until one of you wins. Go to hell. We'll change it whenever we want."

June 16, 2016, 11:25 p.m.

If they are going to change it from 'in all thy sons command' to 'in all of us command' could they at least make it flow a bit better? Im not sure most people would remember to sing the new words anyway….

It was proposed to change "native" to cherished as there are a lot of citizens who were not born in this country.

The old/original English version did not have the word "God" in it.

The original version was written in French and hasn't changed. If you don't like the new stuff, go with the original; you'll be a real maverick.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 17, 2016, 12:46 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiUN_cijGz8

June 17, 2016, 3:55 a.m.

You think drunk canadians at a hockey game will sing it rightÉ

only nazis sing the 3rd verse of the german national anthem, your point?

June 17, 2016, 7:42 a.m.

I support the change. It is the last political act of an MP dying of ALS. Our anthem should reflect equality in this day and age. Sure it is a little thing (from the perspective of a bunch of dudes) but it is symbolic and a thing taught to every school child.

vegetarian: an ancient word for "likes to stay home with the ladies…"

June 17, 2016, 9:13 a.m.

So by definition will we change misogynistic old fucks the people we need to change by changing the wording at a grass roots kid level?

You can sing either version or not not sing anything…it's a free country

June 17, 2016, 10:05 a.m.

While we are at it.

God keep our land
Glorious and free

Change to

Ferme la bouche
Manger Poutine

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

June 17, 2016, 10:16 a.m.

I support the change. It is the last political act of an MP dying of ALS. Our anthem should reflect equality in this day and age. Sure it is a little thing (from the perspective of a bunch of dudes) but it is symbolic and a thing taught to every school child.

I support the change as well. Not that it bothered me much before, but people make way too much of a big deal about altering the words in the anthem. It not like Sir John A McDonald wrote it himself while building the railway. It wasn't even written in English and the English version we sing wasn't the original English version and that version was already changed twice.

If we want to keep it pure the original didn't have religious references and was gender neutral. Boom solved.

June 17, 2016, 10:33 a.m.

So few fks to give on this one.

As long as it retains the "free" part - sing it how's ya like it.

I prefer to scream at the top of my lungs whilst my family pretends not to be with me.

If suitably "warmed up" - I tend to be totally incomprehensible so who cares about the actual words any way - it's more about the intention and the feels.

June 17, 2016, 11:22 a.m.

I was annoyed - as it seems to fall right in line with renaming buildings because the politicians try were named for have fallen out of "favour" etc.
Then I realized I didn't care. I'll sing it any way I want. I prefer the French lang version. Maybe I'll learn that.
The national anthem isn't the country. The people singing it at the top of their lungs an pride in their hearts are the country.

June 17, 2016, 12:35 p.m.

I was annoyed - as it seems to fall right in line with renaming buildings because the politicians try were named for have fallen out of "favour" etc.

You mean like naming Vimy Park in Montreal after that seditious traitor Jacques Parizeau?

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

June 17, 2016, 1:10 p.m.

Yup. Though the song could use a refresh, eh.

How about this for time wasting ans being the most 'transparent' government. I don't think we're getting our money's worth. http://globalnews.ca/news/2767190/liberals-asks-google-to-delete-harper-era-web-pages-from-search-results/

I feel like this would be done so that searches for stuff like 'Canada Prime Minister' wouldn't dredge up old results. Seems pretty straight forward.

viperfunk.com

June 17, 2016, 2:27 p.m.

While we are at it.

God keep our land
Glorious and free

Change to

Ferme la bouche
Manger Poutine

How are you supposed to manger your poutine with you bouche fermed?

June 17, 2016, 3:23 p.m.

solid meh.

those dudes that took that dude and shot him for his truck and then threw his body in an incinerator? now thats fukked up.

June 17, 2016, 6:13 p.m.

It is my belief the government only serves the 1-5% as it always has.