Game Changers, vegans, paleos, ketos, and general confusion

Nov. 19, 2019, 6:51 p.m.

Eat a wide variety of as much fresh, whole food as possible and have as little processed food as possible and you can pretty much forget about any other diet advice. 

Nov. 19, 2019, 7:03 p.m.

consider that if a meat based diet is so bad then how did the Inuit survive for thousands of years on essentially animal fat and protein? what's killing us is processed food - refined grains and sugar, added salt, processed/refined oils, added chemicals and other man-made shit.

Nov. 19, 2019, 7:42 p.m.

Download the app 'eat this much'. I'm an active guy, bike rides, gym time during the week etc and belly fat has always been a struggle for me. After a couple days of tracking my food it became very obvious where my troubles stem from. Give it a shot.

Nov. 19, 2019, 8:56 p.m.

Of course you'll spill a ton of pounds if you go vegan.

Tell me you can eat a salad and get full.  I get bored well before I get full and just say, "Fuck it, I'm out!"

If I'm in front of a pizza or a burrito, "Clear the next three hours."

Nov. 19, 2019, 8:57 p.m.

And as sad as this makes me, beer is fucking awful for belt-spillage.

Nov. 20, 2019, 9:41 a.m.

Game Changers was a bit hyped, but slick and entertaining.

My neighbor is a professional triathlete who is a full time gossiper on other athletes. Apparently the big trends are doping amongst amateurs, and plant-based race fueling.

Tried it for a day before a big climb on his advice. After 2 years of efforts on this particular climb, I PR'd the segment by 2 minutes. 2nd on Strava. Anecdocal, but holy fuck.

I generally eat pescatarian so I though I wasn't far off, but cutting out all animal based protein such as cheese and milk is not something I'd tried previously.

Paleo is still a thing?

Last edited by: Hepcat on Nov. 20, 2019, 9:41 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 20, 2019, 9:56 a.m.

The all or nothing swings are bs. Combine what Syncro said with what T-mack has and you're along the right steps. Cut back on the red meats, enjoy a good steak once in a while.

The classic Canada Food Guide will keep you healthier than ANY fad diet. Actually read it and understand it.

Nov. 20, 2019, 10:01 a.m.

"Paleo" diet is based entirely on lies.

Nov. 20, 2019, 10:59 a.m.

Agree, way too much contraction out there.

Game changer felt like you would live forever if you went vegan. Do vegans not get ill? Most of the ones I know are scrawny little shits.

Then there's Meat Eater, which is also entertaining and leaves you feeling like you need to buy a bow.

Less processed like everyone has said. Its obvious but hard to do because the foods have been engineered to tickle the taste buds.

Nov. 20, 2019, 11:20 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

consider that if a meat based diet is so bad then how did the Inuit survive for thousands of years on essentially animal fat and protein? what's killing us is processed food - refined grains and sugar, added salt, processed/refined oils, added chemicals and other man-made shit.

I met an ( now passed ) MD who was the only doc in the eastern arctic during the mid 50's, he seen the indigenous people come in off the land and adopt the western  diet with disastrous effects in only1 generation, 20 yrs later he was in Papua New Guinea and was seeing the exact same thing repeated, this scenario has played out over and over

Nov. 20, 2019, 12:38 p.m.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/diet-not-working-maybe-its-not-your-type-2017051211678

Nov. 20, 2019, 1:05 p.m.

Vegans - hate plants and plants have feelings. Haters.

Grab a bike - this a bike site, even if the unrelated side.

Have you tried intermittent fasting?

Have you been sold on PH balanced water yet?

Nov. 20, 2019, 1:06 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

Posted by: syncro

I met an ( now passed ) MD who was the only doc in the eastern arctic during the mid 50's, he seen the indigenous people come in off the land and adopt the western  diet with disastrous effects in only1 generation, 20 yrs later he was in Papua New Guinea and was seeing the exact same thing repeated, this scenario has played out over and over

If you or anyone else knows their blood type, there is something called a blood type diet.

Nov. 20, 2019, 4:18 p.m.

Which seems to have been debunked a couple of posts above.

Nov. 20, 2019, 4:52 p.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

And as sad as this makes me, beer is fucking awful for belt-spillage.

The amount of hearts I've broken at the gym by telling guys  that one of the easiest ways to lose weight is to stop drinking beer is staggering.