Free Trade with China

Sept. 30, 2016, 10:32 a.m.

Trudeau confirms Canada exploring free trade agreement with China

How on earth can this possibly end up benefiting Canada? Look at what including Mexico in NAFTA has done to manufacturing in Canada and the US. Sure we get cheaper prices, but what good are those when you're out of work because someone in a foreign country can afford to work for a tiny fraction of what you will.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

Sept. 30, 2016, 10:45 a.m.

capitalism sucks sometimes does it… cant have it all, choose your poison and learn to live with it. unions have been bitching about this for a very long time. some win some loose, suck it up.

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Sept. 30, 2016, 11:03 a.m.

I'm mixed on things like this.

On one hand there is exactly what you said.

On the other, the Chinese already have access to our consumer market (eg: alibaba, amazon, intenet sales) and/or are just simply so big as to exert indirect influence over domestic production here in our tiny country already. A trade deal would mean we would have access to theirs, which is something that doesn't really exist currently in a comparatively equivalent manner. If one believes this, then at least a deal will formalize and put some controls and measures on these things…

Whether we like it or not China will be the biggest economy in the world soon. Change is coming and so are the trade-deals. My position is; best to do this now while we relatively matter more to them, as opposed to wait when they're huge and we're the economic equivalent of Greece.

No harm in talking either. Despite perception, not all trade deals make it to reality.

Sept. 30, 2016, 1:07 p.m.

Whether we like it or not China will be the biggest economy in the world soon.

That's debatable and uncertain. China has huge issues to deal with. Population is massive, more and more products dont require labor and are automated, pollution is a big problem, inequality, corruption, money leaving the country, etc… China is not doing as well as it appears.

Sept. 30, 2016, 1:51 p.m.

Trudeau confirms Canada exploring free trade agreement with China

How on earth can this possibly end up benefiting Canada? Look at what including Mexico in NAFTA has done to manufacturing in Canada and the US. Sure we get cheaper prices, but what good are those when you're out of work because someone in a foreign country can afford to work for a tiny fraction of what you will.

Those low-cost, economies-of-scale jobs aren't coming back. And if they do, it won't be humans doing the work. The only solution is innovation. But innovation hurts those left behind, whether they are companies that couldn't change fast enough or people with limited mind and skillsets.

This is might be the future of free markets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGJ5cZnoodY

Sept. 30, 2016, 2:10 p.m.

Those low-cost, economies-of-scale jobs aren't coming back. And if they do, it won't be humans doing the work. The only solution is innovation. But innovation hurts those left behind, whether they are companies that couldn't change fast enough or people with limited mind and skillsets.

This is might be the future of free markets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGJ5cZnoodY

NORTEL.

Sept. 30, 2016, 2:39 p.m.

That's debatable and uncertain. China has huge issues to deal with. Population is massive, more and more products dont require labor and are automated, pollution is a big problem, inequality, corruption, money leaving the country, etc… China is not doing as well as it appears.

And Neither is the US. :P (Sry couldn't help troll that one.)

But it seems like we're both wrong. China's GDP is already higher than any other country in the world.

Debatable metrics, politics and numbers aside; whether it's already true, in 16 years, or 50 years from now, working with the expectation that they wont catch and surpass the US as the definitive global economic force doesn't get Canada anywhere.

Getting back to what you said; I'm certainly agreeing with your first post - Capitalism can/does suck.

My point is if we don't do anything we'll be left with the worst of every possible outcome. So lets quit the "they'll takes mah jerbs" mentality and at least try and work it out before we're further eclipsed and forced into dealing with things later.

Sept. 30, 2016, 2:46 p.m.

agreed. cant wait to see what happens if the extradition treaty goes through. Vancouver will hurt.

Sept. 30, 2016, 2:58 p.m.

agreed. cant wait to see what happens if the extradition treaty goes through. Vancouver will hurt.

Wait until the first application to extradite a Gweilo from Canada to China for a capital offence comes up … or on the flipside of a powerful/well-connected Chinese to Canada (where they will serve at very worst 3 months in a ClubFed with time off for time in custody and good behaviour).

NORTEL.

RIM/BLACKBERRY

15,000 RIM jobs over 4 years. Who could beat that record?

Sept. 30, 2016, 4:05 p.m.

Jesus, this political puppet is really dropping the ball on us. First the approval of Petronas LNG plant construction and development and now, Kinder Morgan is up next on the batting cage.

And now a China free trade agreement? Is Trudeau out of his fuck'n mind? US economy has already bent over to China for massive theft in intellectual property because their patent rights don't apply there. We've also whore'd off our land to "Chinese investors" and completely ruined our RE market for a lot of us.

China:
What other precious resources will Canada whore off to us? Let me think for a sec? Oh I know! How about a shit ton of forestry and fresh water?!

No need for low-rise wooden frame condos anymore. We can now built soaring towers out of wood that's cheaper and faster than conventional concrete and steel! Let's rape Canada's natural resources, build a fuck load of shitty condos with it that no one's going to live in, and artificially boost our GDP growth even higher!

We'll tap off Canada's fresh clean water as a thank you tip for them to feed our hard working construction workers so we can make a trillionaires of dollars.

Oh.. haha. "trillionaire" showed up as a grammar error on my spell check. But don't worry. Soon enough, it'll be part of the Webster dictionary to define one of Canada's biggest failures in history… ha. ha. ha…

Sept. 30, 2016, 6:12 p.m.

Whether we like it or not China will be the biggest economy in the world until on-demand consumer product printing is prevalent in the middle-class (what's that) home

FYP.

Sept. 30, 2016, 6:13 p.m.

Is Trudeau out of his fuck'n mind?

It's almost like the heads of political parties are there to distract us.

Oct. 1, 2016, 8:32 a.m.

Jesus, this political puppet is really dropping the ball on us. First the approval of Petronas LNG plant construction and development and now, Kinder Morgan is up next on the batting cage.

And now a China free trade agreement? Is Trudeau out of his fuck'n mind? US economy has already bent over to China for massive theft in intellectual property because their patent rights don't apply there. We've also whore'd off our land to "Chinese investors" and completely ruined our RE market for a lot of us.

China:
What other precious resources will Canada whore off to us? Let me think for a sec? Oh I know! How about a shit ton of forestry and fresh water?!

No need for low-rise wooden frame condos anymore. We can now built soaring towers out of wood that's cheaper and faster than conventional concrete and steel! Let's rape Canada's natural resources, build a fuck load of shitty condos with it that no one's going to live in, and artificially boost our GDP growth even higher!

We'll tap off Canada's fresh clean water as a thank you tip for them to feed our hard working construction workers so we can make a trillionaires of dollars.

Oh.. haha. "trillionaire" showed up as a grammar error on my spell check. But don't worry. Soon enough, it'll be part of the Webster dictionary to define one of Canada's biggest failures in history… ha. ha. ha…

I understand your point, but these types of things happen because there are no agreed or enforceable controls around them.

They will and are out 'wild-westing' us in everything economically. So this leaves three choices. 1 - Slam the door on them (only possible within our borders), 2 - start playing at their level (ie: little to respect no for Ip, workers rights, environment), or 3 - get them to agree to play at our level - trade deals, diplomatic agreements, whatever.

Personally, #2 I don't want to see ever happen

As for choice 1, it's akin to sticking our head in the sand - there's no way that will be as effective as ppl think. And if we do go that route, we're canada… they won't even notice. We're the ones that will suffer even moreso long term and longing for what we had in the past… Well that's in the past.

This leaves us with choice 3. Sure they won't play by the letter of the law in every case, but getting the process going, formally, is loads better then the other two choices.

Oct. 1, 2016, 9:06 a.m.

Middle class in china is 350 million, what ever middle means. This is done by having 1 billion slaves. I sure hope they dont get pissed off. Happend not that long ago. Unstable china is no good for the rest of the world. Option 3 as you say is the only way that makes sence. Btw they have nukes now, imagine what Mao would of done with that…now if only we could learn to share and play nice, reminds me of my kids fighting over toys.

Oct. 1, 2016, 9:58 a.m.

China:

China really likes our coal, so much that they own most of Teck.