Fox News North Thwarted (F*&k yeah!)

Oct. 14, 2010, 10:39 a.m.

Well, I can't wait to hear the far right whining spin up, having lost their attempt at politicizing Canadian media by pushing for forced access to our cable fees.

Yeah, I was a part of this campaign, and yeah, I feel pretty good about winning it. This is democracy as it is supposed to work.

Not only that, it was an unfair fight! That's right - the head of SunTV was Harper's former spin doctor, Kory Teneycke. After we Canadians asked the RCMP to check out attempts to sabotage the online petition, he suddenly resigned in disgrace (Win!). Meanwhile, Harper was trying to push out the head of the CRTC so he could appoint someone who would approve the application.

Oh - you righties were thinking it was the unfair to SunTV? Ah no. This is how it is SUPPOSED to work. No tear gas, no chance to stage-manage agent provocateurs - just regular citizens getting together and saying no, this isn't what we want.

But it's a free market! Ah, no. Fox News North ADMITTED that if given a free choice, Canadians would not watch the channel enough to make it profitable, and that is why they went after a special license from the CRTC that would force cable companies to carry them. This was ENTIRELY driven by Harper's desire to have a 24 hour propaganda hate channel running in Canada.

So I am VERY happy this AM that The People spoke out, and that an attempt to bring angry, pundit-opinion, extreme-right politicized propaganda has been stymied.

Sun TV gears down licence application, The Globe and Mail

[URL="http://communities.canada.com/vancouversun/blogs/communityofinterest/archive/2010/10/06/fox-news-north-not-savour-the-victory.aspx
http://communities.canada.com/vancouversun/blogs/communityofinterest/archive/2010/10/06/fox-news-north-not-savour-the-victory.aspx"]Fox News North - Not: Savour the victory, The Vancouver Sun

Oct. 14, 2010, 10:44 a.m.

Wow, the CRTC really did their job on this one.
Good for them. Maybe there are a few good apples in that organization.

Oct. 14, 2010, 10:45 a.m.

Thanks nat :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Oct. 14, 2010, 10:47 a.m.

Very happy to hear this!

Oct. 14, 2010, 10:51 a.m.

got the email this morning too and was pretty stoked! down with polarizing politics!

Oct. 14, 2010, 10:53 a.m.

Tis a good day! ;)

Oct. 14, 2010, 11:11 a.m.

Personally, I believe a "right wing" news station would be a good thing for Canada. CBC is so slanted to the left i'm surprised it isn't tipping over.

Don't get me wrong, I hate fox news. I don't want a propaganda machine like that. But I seriously doubt that this new news station would have been anything like it anyways.

A little balance would be nice.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
— Sigmund Freud

:canada: :usa:

Oct. 14, 2010, 11:13 a.m.

can someone turn this into stoner plz

Oct. 14, 2010, 11:18 a.m.

Personally, I believe a "right wing" news station would be a good thing for Canada. CBC is so slanted to the left i'm surprised it isn't tipping over.

Don't get me wrong, I hate fox news. I don't want a propaganda machine like that. But I seriously doubt that this new news station would have been anything like it anyways.

how exactly is cbc "so slanted to the left"? no seriously, I'd like to know, because I flick through it every day, and really it's reporting is so basic in nature I fail to see how they're slanted one way or the other….

Oct. 14, 2010, 11:22 a.m.

can someone turn this into stoner plz

Coulter baaad, Strombo gooood…

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Oct. 14, 2010, 11:26 a.m.

Just so you know, when you're as far on the right as you are, the Centre is left of you.

I'm a moderate fiscal conservative/social liberal (translation: A centrist) and the CBC is a pretty fair representation of the political centre.

I love the contradiction though, you hate Fox news, because it spits propaganda for the right, yet you long for a TV channel that spins right???

Oct. 14, 2010, 11:34 a.m.

Just so you know, when you're as far on the right as you are, the Centre is left of you.

So true.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Oct. 14, 2010, 12:03 p.m.

^ This is exactly the tactic: position mainstream media as extreme left.

NO. CBC radio is NOT slanted to the left. CBC is centrist journalism with a world-wide reputation for good reportage.

You've really chosen to not see this as it is if you have "serious doubts" that Fox News North would have been "anything like" Fox News. It would have been EXACTLY that.

I will not let the place I live become driven by fear and polarization! It is the path to fascism.

Oct. 14, 2010, 12:11 p.m.

Thanks Nat. Saw that in an email this morning, was pretty happy.

It's been a bad week for Harper: security council, camp mirage, now this.

Me. Car/Web Work. Twitter. FFFFound.

Oct. 14, 2010, 12:12 p.m.

As someone who calls himself a moderate, I can say that CBC news is pretty damn good. Best news on TV. Sure the network has show that cater to the left I suppose, but the news is anything but.