food inc.

Nov. 18, 2009, 12:08 p.m.

saw this movie last week. great movie and that really makes you question what you eat, and not in a peta sort of way.

http://www.foodincmovie.com/

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 18, 2009, 12:38 p.m.

Is there anything is particular that is officially off synchro's menu after watching?

Nov. 18, 2009, 12:42 p.m.

I thought that the Corn section was pretty enlightening…. awesome film….

Thanks McDonalds.

Nov. 18, 2009, 12:50 p.m.

Is there anything is particular that is officially off synchro's menu after watching?

not so much what, but from who.

i do a lot of food/nutritional counseling at work and a lot of what i recommend falls in line with this movie.

one of the things to remember is that food regs in canada are often quite diff from those in the states, esp when it comes to meat and dairy. for example, there's no hormones allowed in the production ofour dairy products, ie caows can't be given hormones. same for beef products i believe as well.

gmo labelling is something i'd like to see happen here tho.

there's not much that is officially off my menu, but i'm going to play even closer attention to what i buy/eat from now on. basically, as much fresh, whole food as possible and as little processed food as possible.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 18, 2009, 1:12 p.m.

I would be interested in seeing this.

I notice that Michael Moore didn't make this film. Now, I'm not saying that Michael Moore has a vested interest in the processed food industry, but as a concerned citizen like you, I find it interesting.

Nov. 18, 2009, 1:21 p.m.

I notice that Michael Moore didn't make this film. Now, I'm not saying that Michael Moore has a vested interest in the processed food industry, but as a concerned citizen like you, I find it interesting.

you can rent it at blockbuster. it's definitely worth the time to watch. i'm gonna get it a second time or maybe even buy a copy.

Ellen Langer

Nov. 18, 2009, 1:25 p.m.

He can't make every film about how shit the world is! sounds interesting though, sort of like supersize me but scaring you off regular processed foods rather than mcdonalds, is that about right?

Nov. 18, 2009, 1:33 p.m.

He can't make every film about how shit the world is!

No, but 9/11, terrorism and Michael Moore. I just used them in the same sentence. Coincidence? I'll let America judge.

Nov. 18, 2009, 1:41 p.m.

He can't make every film about how shit the world is! sounds interesting though, sort of like supersize me but scaring you off regular processed foods rather than mcdonalds, is that about right?

HMmmmmm… not really, it doesn't really try and scare you away from the foods that we generally eat, it really just peels the blinders off and lets you know who makes our food and why… I've watched it twice now and can still drink a coke without remorse….

Nov. 18, 2009, 1:45 p.m.

gmo labelling is something i'd like to see happen here tho.

why?

of course i sell gmo products for a living.

Nov. 18, 2009, 1:47 p.m.

why?

so i know for sure what i'm buying. not so much for my own health but for the bigger picture.

Ellen Langer

Nov. 18, 2009, 1:57 p.m.

why?

I don't know as the labelling is really an issue other than to provide the consumer information they may want in order to make choices.

More important is to identify and resolve some of the issues that can occur with GMO's - be they environmental, health or socio-economic. By the same token, it's important not to get swept up in the whole "all GMO's are bad" hysteria and lose out on significant potential benefits in those same areas. It's one of those areas where we need to cut through the volumes of crap and get the science right.

Nov. 18, 2009, 2:29 p.m.

the science right? we have had GMO canola and soybeans for 20 years. there is plenty of science.

Nov. 18, 2009, 2:38 p.m.

So how would you define genetically modified?

You can differentially breed plants and animals naturally and this is still modifying their genetics. People have been doing this for centuries. Is this an issue? Is it something about doing this in a lab that makes it bad? (not trying to be confrontational just stirring the pot)

Nov. 18, 2009, 2:47 p.m.

I thought that the Corn section was pretty enlightening.

indeed. amazing how much stuff has refined corn / sugar derivatives in it. current rates of obesity [HTML_REMOVED] diabetes are hardly surprising.

loved joel salatin's (the organic farmer) operation / perspective. cool guy. i'm a big fan of locally produced, regionally / seasonally appropriate organic food. REAL food, as it were.