Florida Man

Feb. 19, 2018, 9:23 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

• are kids today more mean towards their peers than they were say 50 years ago?

More insidious w/social media proselytizing, more guns in circulation, and 50 years of constant state sponsored violence at home and abroad.

Last edited by: tungsten on Feb. 19, 2018, 9:26 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 20, 2018, 8:31 a.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

I can totally picture my grade 3 teacher, Mrs. Talento, a sweet Phillipino lady, pulling a Glock out from under her desk and laying waste to the unfortunate school invader. Arming the teachers is a foolproof plan and the teachers would love it I am sure, knowing they can enforce justice if needed. Keeping a loaded weapon in a classroom couldn't possibly go wrong. /s

Foolproof, for sure.  It's just a variant of the "the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to have a good guy with a gun".  Because, the whole good guy/bad guy schism is totally black and white, and totally static.  No good guy in the history of ever has become buried in debt, stuck in a bad relationship, stressed out and snapped.  Never.   Ever.

Feb. 20, 2018, 12:58 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: Mic

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/video/2018/feb/18/how-about-we-stop-blaming-the-victims-florida-shooting-survivors-speak-at-anti-gun-rally-video

It brings up an interesting point tho - are kids today more mean towards their peers than they were say 50 years ago? It seems all the "kids" committing these shootings were loners, outsiders and didn't appear to have much in the way of a social circle or friends at school. Is the apparent ostracization of these kids a contributing factor in them deciding to shoot up their school or other location? Some people may hate this being brought up but it's one of those questions that needs to be asked. You can pin these incidents on one factor - guns - alone.

50 years ago the kids weren't on Zoloft.

Feb. 20, 2018, 1:17 p.m.

Posted by: KenN

I can totally picture my grade 3 teacher, Mrs. Talento, a sweet Phillipino lady, pulling a Glock out from under her desk and laying waste to the unfortunate school invader. Arming the teachers is a foolproof plan and the teachers would love it I am sure, knowing they can enforce justice if needed. Keeping a loaded weapon in a classroom couldn't possibly go wrong. /s

Foolproof, for sure.  It's just a variant of the "the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to have a good guy with a gun".  Because, the whole good guy/bad guy schism is totally black and white, and totally static.  No good guy in the history of ever has become buried in debt, stuck in a bad relationship, stressed out and snapped.  Never.   Ever.

How long until Teachers go on rampage defending themselves from undisciplined students?

Feb. 20, 2018, 1:48 p.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

How long until Teachers go on rampage defending themselves from undisciplined students?

Teachers on psych meds too, which is probably most of them consider the work conditions / wage.

Feb. 20, 2018, 9:04 p.m.

We do not hear about the mental illness of our Presidents or their financiers (well we do for Trump but that is only because he tweets as morbidly as he acts). We do not hear about the mental illness of the police, ICE, or generals. We do not hear about the mental illness of the gun manufacturers themselves. No, you are only mentally ill if you kill without a badge. As long as you are an agent of the state (and it’s financiers) you are killing for a purpose—for freedom, democracy, safety—so you are sane, you are often even revered.

What is not said enough is that gun violence is a natural consequence of a society that solves its problems through violence and conquest abroad. A society that promises an American dream and never gives anything in return leaves a trail of despair. A society that defines success as profit off of others no doubt makes others into adversaries. As long as the cost of living a life that does not do these things is so high the soul splinters making the very act of existing in a capitalist society surreal.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/02/20/the-gun-violence-the-media-shows-us-and-the-state-violence-they-dont/

Last edited by: tungsten on Feb. 20, 2018, 9:06 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 20, 2018, 9:07 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

We do not hear about the mental illness of our Presidents or their financiers (well we do for Trump but that is only because he tweets as morbidly as he acts). We do not hear about the mental illness of the police, ICE, or generals. We do not hear about the mental illness of the gun manufacturers themselves. No, you are only mentally ill if you kill without a badge. As long as you are an agent of the state (and it’s financiers) you are killing for a purpose—for freedom, democracy, safety—so you are sane, you are often even revered.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/02/20/the-gun-violence-the-media-shows-us-and-the-state-violence-they-dont/

I wish I could vote for a different political party than one of two, but I can't because I'm so smart and have great opinions on everything.

Feb. 21, 2018, 12:26 a.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

Teachers on psych meds too, which is probably most of them consider the work conditions / wage.

I should've put quotation marks around "defending themselves". It'll be hard to find now with the national school walk out day but there was articles about both school wide and one NY district I think where Teachers walked out to protest volatile students.

And, there was also the book "Behold a Pale Horse" by Milton Cooper which outlined a push for gun control in the US and they shot up schools for reasons why.

Feb. 22, 2018, 10:57 a.m.

https://twitter.com/_/status/966507008080916481

Feb. 22, 2018, 1:25 p.m.

https://twitter.com/_/status/966507008080916481

This is def the best link you've ever posted.

Feb. 22, 2018, 1:29 p.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat
I honestly can't think of a way to push that number higher other than arming teachers, but I admit this isn't something I'm an expert in.

Fuck, which one of you here is Trump.

Feb. 22, 2018, 6:13 p.m.

So there was an armed deputy right outside the building but he didn't go in.

Feb. 22, 2018, 6:29 p.m.

Arm teachers? That's the best Donald can come up with? I don't think I would have made through high school. I'm looking at you Mr Smearhurst.

Feb. 22, 2018, 8:44 p.m.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/nra-backlash-major-bank-and-car-rental-giant-are-ending-partnerships-2018-02-22

Feb. 22, 2018, 9:39 p.m.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/nra-backlash-major-bank-and-car-rental-giant-are-ending-partnerships-2018-02-22

I am really curious how this is going to develop. Seems as if things are moving.

Last edited by: Mic on Feb. 22, 2018, 9:40 p.m., edited 1 time in total.